"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 09-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Medium Rare Burgers?

My favorite Food Network show is Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. Guy Fieri just kills me.

Anyway, he goes to a lot of burger places and I just cringe when I see him chomping down on a medium rare burger. I mean, what are trying to do?? Kill him??

Medium rare burgers are a rare sight in Canada because it has been ingrained in us that they can kill you.....plus it's illegal for restaurants to serve them.

It would seem that a few Canadian foodies are pushing for the medium rare burger to be allowed here north of the 49th. I just can't get my head wrapped around that.

Medium-rare burgers are taboo in Canada but may not be as perilous as thought | National Post

Cooking Hamburger - Practical Temperature Measurements

Old 09-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
Head Chef

I like my burgers rare to med rare. If you like them that way the meat must be ground fresh from a solid pice of meat.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

NC used to ban the sale of undercooked burgers but they backed off of it last year.
Given that it is legal to buy a number of potentially dangerous things, such as raw oysters, and cigarettes, among other things....I feel it was a rare display of common sense to allow customers to order burgers to their liking.
Of course restaurants are required to display a warning that consumption of undercooked food may have health risks.
I, personally, enjoy my burgers rare. My advice is to take note of the sanitation grade when ordering burgers in such a manner.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I n the US we are allowed to request our burgers MR, they have warnings on the menus about ordering this along with the health hazards. I don't eat med-rare in any restaurant, only at home from fresh ground.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
Master Chef

I like mine med rare too. There's a burger joint near me which serves them med-rare by default. But their burgers are $10, ala carte, and they grind their own meat.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Are they (grocery stores) doing something different when they grind burger these days? Why was it OK to eat a rare burger as a kid, but not now?
If it's just a "don't eat red meat, least of all rare" thing OK, those people and groups live among us, but is there something that actually makes today's hamburger less healthy that the burger of yesteryear?
Old 09-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Well, there is beef tartare, which I think has a raw egg topped or mixed in. I love medium rare steaks, I prefer my burgers medium. I am pretty happy the food police got over telling us we could only have well done burgers. At restaurants, if I am unfamiliar, I order med-well.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I forgot, there is one place I will order med-rare...Nap's Grill I know the owner personally.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I would think it depends on the hamburger joint whether a med. rare burger is trustworthy. Where I live, some places don't ask and plan to cook all burgers done even tho' they sometimes come out pink. Other places, usually not the chains, ask how customers want their burgers cooked and people order them med rare. No me tho'.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
...is there something that actually makes today's hamburger less healthy that the burger of yesteryear?

A greater awareness of the potential dangers and the changes in meat processing that could make those dangers more likely.

In yesteryear, local butchers and meat markets/supermarkets ground their own ground beef from scraps and cuts right in the shop. You could get ground sirloin, round, chuck, etc. Not so much anymore. Slaughterhouses grind and package ground beef in vacuum packed plastic tubes that are repackaged at the local level.

BTW, I haven't heard the term 'yesteryear' in a long time. Since yesterday means the day before today, why doesn't yesteryear mean 2012?

Tags
None