"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 09-25-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Mexican Lasagna

Mexican Lasagna
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 pounds ground beef
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
Salt
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 medium shallot, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
1 can ro-tel tomatoes, drained
1 can enchilada sauce
1 cup frozen corn kernels
10 corn tortillas
2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar or shredded pepper jack
2 scallions, finely chopped

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil - twice around the pan. Add ground beef and brown, drain. Season with cayenne, pepper, chili powder, cumin, onion, shallot, and garlic. Reduce heat and continue cooking for about 5 minutes until onion is tender. Add enchilada sauce and ro-tel tomatoes, black beans, and corn. Heat the mixture through, then season with salt, to your taste.

Coat a shallow baking dish with remaining extra-virgin olive oil, about 1 tablespoon oil. Cut the tortillas in half or quarters to make them easy to layer with. Build lasagna in layers of meat, then tortillas, then cheese. Repeat: meat, tortilla, cheese again. Bake lasagna 12 to 15 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly. Top with the scallions and serve.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Which side of the pan do I get to start on?

Old 09-26-2010, 01:00 AM   #3
Master Chef

In my home, we call that - Enchilada Pie. But I have to have sliced black olives in mine. Haven't tried it with pepper jack, only with Colby and sharp cheddar. Also, I soften my fresh corn tortillas in hot oil for about 5 seconds or so, then drain, and place in the caserole dish. Any way you make it, this stuff is yummy.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ground beef, recipe

Mexican Lasagna Mexican Lasagna -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ingredients: 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 2 pounds ground beef 2 tablespoons chili powder 2 teaspoons ground cumin 2 teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper 1/2 teaspoon cayenne Salt 1 medium red onion, chopped 1 medium shallot, diced 3 cloves garlic, diced 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained 1 can ro-tel tomatoes, drained 1 can enchilada sauce 1 cup frozen corn kernels 10 corn tortillas 2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar or shredded pepper jack 2 scallions, finely chopped Directions: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil - twice around the pan. Add ground beef and brown, drain. Season with cayenne, pepper, chili powder, cumin, onion, shallot, and garlic. Reduce heat and continue cooking for about 5 minutes until onion is tender. Add enchilada sauce and ro-tel tomatoes, black beans, and corn. Heat the mixture through, then season with salt, to your taste. Coat a shallow baking dish with remaining extra-virgin olive oil, about 1 tablespoon oil. Cut the tortillas in half or quarters to make them easy to layer with. Build lasagna in layers of meat, then tortillas, then cheese. Repeat: meat, tortilla, cheese again. Bake lasagna 12 to 15 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly. Top with the scallions and serve. .40 3 stars 1 reviews