Minimum temp to cook beef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
I watched a chef on TV Tom Kedgeree. Me cooked a beef joint for 40 mins at 55c. This was so that you could guarantee a pink joint. I thought that the temperature would be far too low. What is a minimum temperature to safely cook a beef joint?

After a 5 minute sear at 500F, I cook a roast at 200F for 1 hour per pound.

That's what I thought. He didn't say how large the beef joint which was a mussel tendon that is better. but 55 degrees C? I would have thought that would not be hot enough.

He cooked a 1lb 12oz fillet of beef at 55c

"To cook the beef, preheat the oven to 55C/130F/Gas ¼ (or the lowest possible setting on your oven)."

"bottom shelf of the oven for 45 minutes (or longer if you prefer your meat well cooked)."

That sounds all wrong to me. I'd cook the meat to an internal temperature of 55ºC but at a higher oven temp.

In a really old CB I remember them saying to cook the beef to only 110° (about 43c) internal temp for very rare beef (my kind of beef!), but most give 120° as a minimum temp. So 130° for an oven temp is probably aiming for this.

Last edited:
He cooked a 1lb 12oz fillet of beef at 55c

"To cook the beef, preheat the oven to 55C/130F/Gas ¼ (or the lowest possible setting on your oven)."

"bottom shelf of the oven for 45 minutes (or longer if you prefer your meat well cooked)."

With a filet (tenderloin), it is crucial to NOT over cook it. You can get dry, nearly inedible meat if you cook it even slightly too long. 55C would probably not be my first choice, but whatever I did, I would err on the side of more rare.

You never mention if there was any searing step in the process. I can't imagine just putting it in the oven for 40 minutes at that temperature and calling it done.

For that small of a size, that should work. But it is a pretty low temp. Even in the smoker it is usually higher.

I would want to sear it first, then it probably doesn't matter how long you cook it, as the nasties are seared dead first.

Back
Top Bottom