"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 11-23-2007, 07:15 AM   #11
Executive Chef

" I run the stuff through a spice mill to make it finer....Anyone else???"

I put it in my mortar. Love the stuff (well, being born in Montreal and all...)

Old 11-24-2007, 01:49 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loprraine View Post
" I run the stuff through a spice mill to make it finer....Anyone else???"

I put it in my mortar. Love the stuff (well, being born in Montreal and all...)
Never occurred to me - might try that next time - more economical usage too, I'd imagine (less falling off).

Old 11-24-2007, 04:04 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I like it as well, as a change of pace.

I'm very partial to this:

for my steaks.

A little EVOO on a thick cut steak, a good application of either, a good sear in a skillet and a half hour in a 350-375 oven (med-rare, med) on a rack in a sheet pan. (Well done takes quite a bit of time, at LEAST 45 minutes cooking, probably closer to an hour. Still a great steak, unless you LIKE charcoal as a meal, rather than a fuel.). Baked potatoes can be done at the same time too (and timing them both to be done at the same time is fairly simple).

Tender and juicy steak, without having to haul out the grill from the garage.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:27 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
Tender and juicy steak, without having to haul out the grill from the garage.
Keeping your grill in the garage is like keeping your everyday pan in the cellar Unless of course you have an attached garage and that's where you do your grilling

I'll have to give that sear and bake a try. Errr, I mean cooked in the oven. Didn't we just have this discussion? Or could you say broiled even though it wasn't under the broiler. Maybe roasted?
Anyway, enough of you do it, so it must come out pretty good. It would just seem funny to me to eat a steak without grill marks But that's just me. I'm having ribs tonight so I don't have to worry about it
Old 11-24-2007, 05:11 PM   #15
Senior Cook

If I didn't worry about my grill (or just important pieces and parts, like the tank) growing legs and walking off by themselves, I'd keep it where I could get to it more often.

I'd build a fence, but I've got other home improvements that have to be budgeted first... New wiring is tops on the list followed by new insulation.

And anyway, it's more of a sear and slow-roast I guess. Did the whole shebang for family a couple weeks ago, 6 adult meals out of a single oven and stove. One well done steak, 5 mediums, and baked potatoes, corn and green beans. Timing was the hardest part... pretty much went like this: prepare potatoes, stick in oven. Prepare Well-Done steak, stick in oven. wait 10-20 minutes, prepare medium steaks, stick in oven. Wait about 25 minutes, put the corn and green beans on to warm (canned, I don't do fresh veggies often). Yank the steaks 5 minutes later, set aside to rest for 5 minutes. When the rest time is done, cut off the oven, yank potatoes and plate everything.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:23 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

there is a version for chicken pieces as well. i use on bare chicken with or with out skin and bake. if it is skinned the rub keeps it moist.

babe
Old 12-18-2007, 09:50 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Smile Great with shrimp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 lbs of EASY PEEL shrimp
1/2 cup EVOO
1/2- 3/4 of a bottle of montreal seasoning
Mix and marinate 4-8 hours a grill over hot flame until just done.
The shells will protect the shrimp from over cooking some.

Serve with good cold beer.

I get the most complimates out of this Montreal Steak is much spicier that the chicken one. I perfer the Montreal Chicken
Old 12-19-2007, 12:55 AM   #18
Head Chef

We buy the 29 oz jars at Costco. The stuff is great.

Take a two inch steak, rub it on and grill, or pan fry and there is nothing better.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:33 AM   #19
Executive Chef

We had some 1.5" thick grilled ribeyes last night. That rub just doesn't get old. I have started running it through my mortar/pestle to give it a finer texture.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:08 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
They turned out great.This is the second Grill Mates rub I've tried and was pleasantly surprised both times.

I found all 4 flavors, the spicy, regular, chicken and hamburger at Pick and Save about 1 1/2 years ago. Bought 'em cause they were .99 each. I've enjoyed them too but was mostly happy they didn't contain MSG. KC Masterpiece does...

Tags
None