More Meatloaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I got on a site today that has more meatloaf recipes than I ever saw in my life. I found a few interesting ones. Here's the first:

Lasagna Meatloaf

1 tb Vegetable oil
1 Onion, chopped
2 Cloves garlic, minced
1 ts Dried basil
2 cn (19 oz each) tomatoes, chopped, undrained
1 cn (5-1/2 oz) tomato paste
Salt and pepper

Filling:
6 c Spinach
1 Egg
1 c Ricotta cheese
1/2 c Shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
2 tb Parmesan cheese
2 tb Chopped parsley
2 tb Milk
1/4 ts Each salt and pepper
1 pn Nutmeg

Meat:
1 Egg, beaten
1 Onion, chopped
2 Cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c Dry bread crumbs
2 tb Parmesan cheese
1 ts EACH dried basil, and oregano
34 ts Salt
1/2 ts Pepper
1 1/2 lb Lean ground beef

Serve this special rolled meat loaf with herbed garlic bread.

SAUCE:
In skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, garlic and basil for 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and 1/2 cup of the tomato paste. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until thickened, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

FILLING:
Wash spinach; cook in just the water clinging to leaves,covered, over medium high heat for 2-3 minutes or just until wilted; drain and set aside. Combine egg, ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses, parsley, milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg.

MEAT:
Combine egg, remaining tomato paste, onion, garlic, crumbs,parmesan, basil, oregano, salt and pepper; mix in meat. Place between sheets of waxed paper; roll into 18x8 inch rectangle. Remove top sheet. Layer spinach leaves over meat. Gently spread ricotta mixture over spinach, leaving 1 inch border. Spread 1 cup tomato sauce over ricotta layer. Roll up meat from short end, jelly roll style, lifting with paper, tucking in any filling that oozes out. Ease, seam side up, into 9x5 inch loaf pan. Bake in 350 F oven for 1-1/4 hours or until meat is well done. Let stand for 20 minutes. Drain off fat. Serve with remaining hot tomato sauce. Makes 8 servings.

Last edited:
I think my DH would beat a path to get to this one! Lol, come to think of it, so would I! Thanks so much Constance, cutting and pasting process under way! :mrgreen:

I think it looks good too, Jessica.

Here's one for your crockpot:

Sausage Stuffed Meat Loaf

3/4 pound mild Italian link sausages
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 slices bread
1 teaspoon salt and pepper
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon beef stock
1 small onion
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1/4 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
4 large boiling potatoes
2 teaspoons butter -- softened

Simmer sausages in water to cover 10 minutes. Drain. Place eggs, milk, bread, salt, Worcestershire, dry mustard, stock base and onions in blender container. Cover. Blend until smooth. Place ground meat in mixing bowl. Pour in blender contents. Mix until smooth. Pat half of meat loaf mixture in bottom of slow cooker. cover with sausages. Top with remaining meat loaf. Pat to seal. Combine catsup, mustard, and brown sugar. Spread over meat. Peel potatoes. Cut in strips (French Fry style). Coat well with butter and place around meat. Cover. Cook on high 1 hour and reduce to LOW and cook for 6 hours

wondering if anyone's tried this recipe. It sounds so good for when my husband gets over his flu bug. He adores sausages of any kind. But my luck has never been good with adding potatoes to a crock pot. They never seem to get done.

LEFSElover said:
...my luck has never been good with adding potatoes to a crock pot. They never seem to get done.

Try using canned potatoes, added the last hour of cooking. They lose the canned taste when cooking in the juices, and there's no problem with getting them done.

Glad you enjoyed the recipes, Shunka. I love meatloaf too.

Back
Top Bottom