"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 01-31-2011, 01:44 AM   #1
Master Chef

Msmofet's Beef Braciole

Msmofet's Beef Braciole

Makes 4 Braciole
  • 4 Thin sliced beef top round steak for Braciole (2 packages with 2 steaks in each)
Filling Ingredients:

These measurements can be adjusted to your taste.
  • 6 cloves Fresh garlic or to taste - minced fine or grated
  • 1/4 cup Onion - minced fine
  • 1/4 cup Fresh basil - chopped fine
  • 1/4 tsp Fresh oregano - chopped fine
  • 1/4 cup Fresh parsley - chopped fine
  • 1/4 cup Fresh grated Romano cheese
  • 1/4 cup Fresh grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1.5 cup Bread crumbs
  • Ground hot red pepper flakes - to taste
  • Ground Sea Salt - to taste
  • Ground peppercorns - to taste
  • Choice of oil (Extra Virgin Olive oil, Canola oil, Grapeseed oil or combo)
Tying and Frying:
  • Butchers twine
  • Choice of Oil for frying
Directions:
  1. In bowl mix all above filling ingredients EXCEPT oil; mix well.
  2. Add just enough oil to hold filling together.
  3. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
  4. Place steaks slice on board and cover with wax paper.
  5. Pound with flat side of mallet thinned down to about 1/8 inch, making sure not to tear.
  6. Spread 1/4 of the filling on 3/4 of the steak closest to you.
  7. Roll steak jelly roll style to the end.
  8. Secure the roll with butchers twine about 1 inch apart till you reach the end.
  9. In heavy frying pan heat thin coating of oil.
  10. Brown rolls on all sides.
  11. Remove and drain.
  12. Simmer in Tomato Sauce (preferably homemade) for about 1 1/2 hours or until tender.
Enjoy!

Braciole Pictures/Tutorial

Beef top round for Braciole

Pound thin with flat side of mallet or bottom heavy frying pan

Spread with 1/4 of the filling

Roll jelly roll style

Tie roll with an anchor 1/2 loop

Secure with twine every inch (I did butcher’s knots) to end of the roll

Continued Below

Old 01-31-2011, 01:44 AM   #2
Master Chef

Continued

After tying every inch to the end of roll wrap twine around the whole length from end to end and secure with a knot (to hold the roll tight and keep filling in)

Brown rolls in pan then drain

Simmer in sauce

Old 01-31-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
Head Chef

Msmofet they look wonderful, I love braciole and yours is the way I make mine. I haven't made it in such along time, but i'm thinking about a big pot of Sunday Gravy... I dated a boy in high school (an Italian boy) and his Mom was from Sicily, she made braciole every sunday and put a hard boiled egg in along with her stuffing mix... It was good but she was the only one I ever knew who did it that way...
Old 01-31-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
Msmofet they look wonderful, I love braciole and yours is the way I make mine. I haven't made it in such along time, but i'm thinking about a big pot of Sunday Gravy... I dated a boy in high school (an Italian boy) and his Mom was from Sicily, she made braciole every sunday and put a hard boiled egg in along with her stuffing mix... It was good but she was the only one I ever knew who did it that way...
Thank you Mimi. I don't put hard boiled egg in my braciole and have never seen that before. I DO put hard boiled egg in my lasagna layers though.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
I ordered it in a restaurant once and it had hard boiled egg in it and I did not like it at all. I am Italian and my family is Neapolitan so I guess that is a Sicilian thing.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Thanks msmofet for the great recipe and the pictures too. I am feeling in the mood to make some braciole now!
Old 01-31-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaylady View Post
I ordered it in a restaurant once and it had hard boiled egg in it and I did not like it at all. I am Italian and my family is Neapolitan so I guess that is a Sicilian thing.
My family is from Naples also so I guess you are right about it may be a Sicilian thing.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I made some Braciole for dinner on Saturday!

I used a flank steak pounded out @ 1/8 and just used what I had on-hand for the stuffing: sauteed onion and garlic in some olive oil till soft and mixed that with bread crumbs, fresh basil, Kraft Italian cheese blend, grated Parmesan cheese, diced plumb tomatoes, and salt and pepper. Oh and I'll admit it, canned tomato sauce, but it was name brand.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I am seriously considering making this... sounds wonderful...
Old 01-31-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I am seriously considering making this... sounds wonderful...
If you have never made Braciole before you have to. You are going to love it.

Tags
beef, beef braciole, recipe

Msmofet's Beef Braciole [B][U][COLOR=black]Msmofet's Beef Braciole[/COLOR][/U][/B] [COLOR=black]Makes 4 Braciole[/COLOR] [LIST] [*][COLOR=black]4 Thin sliced beef top round steak for Braciole (2 packages with 2 steaks in each)[/COLOR] [/LIST][B][U][COLOR=black]Filling Ingredients:[/COLOR][/U][/B] [I][COLOR=black]These measurements can be adjusted to your taste.[/COLOR][/I] [LIST] [*][COLOR=black]6 cloves Fresh garlic or to taste - minced fine or grated [/COLOR] [*][COLOR=black]1/4 cup Onion - minced fine [/COLOR] [*][COLOR=black]1/4 cup Fresh basil - chopped fine [/COLOR] [*][COLOR=black]1/4 tsp Fresh oregano - chopped fine [/COLOR] [*][COLOR=black]1/4 cup Fresh parsley - chopped fine [/COLOR] [*][COLOR=black]1/4 cup Fresh grated Romano cheese [/COLOR] [*][COLOR=black]1/4 cup Fresh grated Parmesan cheese [/COLOR] [*][COLOR=black]1.5 cup Bread crumbs [/COLOR] [*][COLOR=black]Ground hot red pepper flakes - to taste [/COLOR] [*][COLOR=black]Ground Sea Salt - to taste [/COLOR] [*][COLOR=black]Ground peppercorns - to taste[/COLOR] [/LIST] [LIST] [*][COLOR=black]Choice of oil (Extra Virgin Olive oil, Canola oil, Grapeseed oil or combo)[/COLOR] [/LIST][B][U][COLOR=black]Tying and Frying:[/COLOR][/U][/B] [LIST] [*][COLOR=black]Butchers twine [/COLOR] [*][COLOR=black]Choice of Oil for frying[/COLOR] [/LIST][B][U][COLOR=black]Directions: [/COLOR][/U][/B][LIST=1] [*][COLOR=black]In bowl mix all above filling ingredients [B]EXCEPT[/B] oil; mix well. [/COLOR] [*][COLOR=black]Add just enough oil to hold filling together. [/COLOR] [*][COLOR=black]Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. [/COLOR] [*][COLOR=black]Place steaks slice on board and cover with wax paper. [/COLOR] [*][COLOR=black]Pound with flat side of mallet thinned down to about 1/8 inch, making sure not to tear. [/COLOR] [*][COLOR=black]Spread 1/4 of the filling on 3/4 of the steak closest to you. [/COLOR] [*][COLOR=black]Roll steak jelly roll style to the end. [/COLOR] [*][COLOR=black]Secure the roll with butchers twine about 1 inch apart till you reach the end. [/COLOR] [*][COLOR=black]In heavy frying pan heat thin coating of oil. [/COLOR] [*][COLOR=black]Brown rolls on all sides. [/COLOR] [*][COLOR=black]Remove and drain. [/COLOR] [*][COLOR=black]Simmer in Tomato Sauce (preferably homemade) for about 1 1/2 hours or until tender.[/COLOR] [/LIST][COLOR=black]Enjoy![/COLOR] [B][/B] [B][U]Braciole Pictures/Tutorial[/U][/B] Beef top round for Braciole [IMG]http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp48/msmofet/Braciole_Tutorial/braciole_1.jpg[/IMG] Pound thin with flat side of mallet or bottom heavy frying pan [IMG]http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp48/msmofet/Braciole_Tutorial/braciole_3.jpg[/IMG] Spread with 1/4 of the filling [IMG]http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp48/msmofet/Braciole_Tutorial/braciole_5.jpg[/IMG] Roll jelly roll style [IMG]http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp48/msmofet/Braciole_Tutorial/braciole_6.jpg[/IMG] Tie roll with an anchor 1/2 loop [IMG]http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp48/msmofet/Braciole_Tutorial/braciole_8.jpg[/IMG] Secure with twine every inch (I did butcher’s knots) to end of the roll [IMG]http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp48/msmofet/Braciole_Tutorial/braciole_9.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp48/msmofet/Braciole_Tutorial/braciole_10.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp48/msmofet/Braciole_Tutorial/braciole_11.jpg[/IMG] Continued Below 3 stars 1 reviews