"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 10-20-2004, 01:14 PM   #51
Senior Cook

And you must be an angry old bag. Impure is impure. The foods others recommend here are not impure. Take it easy, its only a food board.

Old 10-20-2004, 01:14 PM   #52
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruzinsky
Lol. You must be a militant old hausfrau. Adding pure substances to ground beef causes the ground beef to become impure and that is why they are called "impurities."
So if I make chicken and add a lemon to the cavity then is the chicken impure? If I add pepper flakes to my tomato sauce is it then impure???

Old 10-20-2004, 01:29 PM   #53
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Quote:

Adulteration is dilution by inferior, harmful, or less valuable ingredients. The cost per pound of pepper is greater than that of ground meat, so addition of pepper would not be adulteration. Onions, bread crumbs, eggs, and textured soybean protein are less valuable and are therefore adulterants. You do not have to be an old hausefrau to believe their mythology.

Finally, I bet that I have eaten more pounds of hamburgers in my life than any of you. I know what I am talking about. Leave the ground beef alone.
So do you not add salt to your ground beef because salt is less expensive? This logic is flawed in my opinion. To each his own. Everyones tastes are different. Like you, aruzinsky, I am a purist when it comes to burgers. I like mine with nothing (except possibly salt) then top with a tomato and maybe some lettuce, toasted bun and ketchup, but that does not mean that is the right way to do it. Someone could add a million things to their burger and for them that would be the right way. Just because you think you think you have eaten more burgers does not mean that you are right and that is that.
I add salt ON my hamburger, not IN my hamberger. There is no flaw in logic. Adding salt inside a hamburger is adulteration by definition. But, there are two separate issues here.

1. No adulteration
2. No impurity of any kind

I personally prefer no impurities, but, on the basis of popular tastes, I am only pushing no adulteration. Let me point out to you that is the way fast food restaurants serve their hamburgers and they are trying balance appeal to the largest number of people with low cost hamburgers. If they started adding bread crumbs and eggs, their hamburges would be less expensive to make but they would lose profit. If you remove the cost restriction, then the best way to make hamburgers that appeal to the largest audience is NOT to add less costly ingredients, but to increase the quality and cost of the ground beef.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:37 PM   #54
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Quote:
Lol. You must be a militant old hausfrau. Adding pure substances to ground beef causes the ground beef to become impure and that is why they are called "impurities."
So if I make chicken and add a lemon to the cavity then is the chicken impure? If I add pepper flakes to my tomato sauce is it then impure???
Yes, impure chicken. No, not impure tomato sauce because tomato sauce is defined as a mixture, otherwise, it would be tomato puree.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:39 PM   #55
Senior Cook

Aruzinsky, if you are adding inedible, poisionus, unsafe food to ground beef this is adulteration or adding impurities. You just like your burgers made with plain ground beef.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:42 PM   #56
Senior Cook

Aruzinsky, what University or FDA/Dept of Agriculture reference are you getting your terms from?
Old 10-20-2004, 01:48 PM   #57
Chief Eating Officer

Aruzinsky, Websters defines adulterate as: to corrupt, debase, or make impure by the addition of a foreign or inferior substance or element; especially : to prepare for sale by replacing more valuable with less valuable or inert ingredients.

If you are to go by this definition then adding ANYTHING other than ground meat would make it an adulterated product. I think you are really getting to wrapped up in technical definitions. There is nothing wrong with adding other flavorings to hamburgers. It does not necessarily make it an inferior product.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:41 PM   #58
Master Chef

Aruzinsky,

Are you having another fish-flavored gas problem? http://www.discusscooking.com/viewto...ghlight=#39571
Old 10-20-2004, 02:46 PM   #59
Senior Cook

Hyperlipidemia. You better add breadcrumbs to your burgers.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:58 PM   #60
Sous Chef

aruzinsky, have you ever tried adding "pizza" to your burgers?

Tags
None