"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Old 10-20-2004, 03:18 PM   #61
Chief Eating Officer
or even some salad

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 03:23 PM   #62
Master Chef

tee-hee. :D

i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 04:35 PM   #63
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Ok guys, let's stop insulting each other and get back to the topic please.

:) Barbara
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 04:47 PM   #64
Moved on
Originally Posted by GB
Aruzinsky, Websters defines adulterate as: to corrupt, debase, or make impure by the addition of a foreign or inferior substance or element; especially : to prepare for sale by replacing more valuable with less valuable or inert ingredients.

If you are to go by this definition then adding ANYTHING other than ground meat would make it an adulterated product. I think you are really getting to wrapped up in technical definitions. There is nothing wrong with adding other flavorings to hamburgers. It does not necessarily make it an inferior product.
Your Websters definition is adequate. What some people apparently fail to appreciate is the difference between "or" and "and." I have used the word "adulterate" in a manner that is consistent with the consensus of dictionariy definitions. The fact that I have used it in unusual context is irrelevant, otherwise, there should be nothing new to say.

I believe that I have given good advice in a manner that is not palatable only to people who are heavily influenced by methods of persuasion other than logic. Maybe, I am trying to use reverse psychology on these people. That way both rational and irrational people get what they deserve.
aruzinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 07:32 PM   #65
Senior Cook
You are not a pundit and we are not your audience.
debthecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 10:41 PM   #66
Executive Chef
Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Please stick to the topic that RAYT721 posted: My (2) New Burger Secrets ... What Are Yours??? Thanks! :)
MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 11:18 PM   #67
We are getting WAAAY off topic here...

Without trying to remember all the names, it seems I kind of lit off a firestorm here, and would like to find out what kind of fool I indeed appear to be...

Its my thought that whether you have onion "on", or onion"in", bacon "on" or "in", salt the interior or the exterior, or add garlic or pepper, that there's be that much difference...

I do agree with the "meat cut" selection issue; there's burgers that are aimed at the "juicy" end of things with sirloins or NY Strip ground up, and others that are aimed at "chuck", but I believe the two can be amicably mixed...

Personally, I use large "leaf" oatmeal as an added ingredient, because I have an issue with chloresteral and fibre, and adding oatmeal helps with that...

It also sucks up moisture (and, true, some fats!) which, in my opinion, adds to the flavour...

And I use an egg or so (and, no, I do not separate the yolk!) because I find this keeps the burger from falling apart, and, using smoke and slow cooking, that's an issue to me...if you are a "Tim Allen" cook that flash burns the meat to a "cooked" status, well and good, just remember some of us don't follow that path, and we like our burgers the way we have gone to...classic BBQ, low, slow, smokey cooking...

I'd hate to go to Daniel Webster for any cooking "definition", so I dearely hope we can discard these posts from consideration, as we try to evolve and share "unique" methods of showing the meat the flames, or confine the treatment of food or meat to some ancient method, while ignoring newer and in some ways better ideas and attempts...

We are all, obviously, free to ignore or delete those posts we would rather not go with...

On the other hand, using premium meat, ground up, and not adding an egg to the mix how the Devil do you keep it from breaking up as it cooks? Don't your burgrs get overly thick to bite into as you get your sesame buns (I'm sticking with sourdough, regardless!) tomato slices as thick as your burgers -are your patties really thin, or tomato really thick?-and with other condiments, do these argue that you can stretch your jaws more than I can?

No Offence, you understand, your posts are interesting and give me some insights to new and different waysand tastes to do it all with, but you have to get a bit more explicit on where I'm going wrong in my so-far successful methods..

Lifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 07:33 AM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Lifter
We are all, obviously, free to ignore or delete those posts we would rather not go with...
Right on, Lifter! However, as much as we may wish otherwise sometimes, we can only delete our own posts.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 11:06 AM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I have never added egg to my hamburgers - only olive oil, Worcestershire, horseradish, a homemade garlic salt concoction and my thumbprint right in the middle of a big fat pattie (keeps it from shrinking).

YUM, I want one now!!!!! LOL Oh, and I like them VERY rare. If you ever buy a whole tenderloin take that strip of meat off on the side and grind it up - makes the best burgers!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 01:07 PM   #70
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by luvs_food
sorry if someone posted this already, but bleu cheese burgers are great. a little splash of worcestershire and some freshly-cracked black pepper and you're good to go!
OOPS! the post before me mentioned gorgonzola. oh, well. can't erase posts on here, so i'll just leave it up. sorry!
I love them like that but I add three slices of thick sliced bacon with that.

You are not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
Bangbang is offline   Reply With Quote