"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 06-28-2016, 07:39 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Does anyone else besides me have to put up with poor arse ingredients? I would love your 70/30 fine ground beef Chief, but most of the time to stretch the food budget I get the ground beef that comes five pounds to a tube for $10.99.

With that I generally take a pound of what might have some nominal beef content, and mainly is sawdust and recycled Chinese newspapers, add two eggs, two tbsp of bread crumbs, 1 tbsp of Worcestershire some salt, pepper, a bit of sirraciha and fish sauce, and maybe get something edible.

Yeah, mine needs a bun, a fresh slice of tomato, a little pepper jack cheese, and catsup and mayonnaise.

Cheers!
TBS

Old 06-28-2016, 07:47 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I like to add a small amount of milk to my ground meat. Let the ground meat sit in order for the milk to do its magic. The enzymes in the milk help to tenderize the beef. A side benefit is that the meat is juicier than it would normally be.
And to me, that makes it on the meatloaf side of things. IMO, burgers should be nothing but g. meat, S and P, PERIOD!

Old 06-28-2016, 08:27 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
And to me, that makes it on the meatloaf side of things. IMO, burgers should be nothing but g. meat, S and P, PERIOD!
I agree, even though meatloaf patties can be good too.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:53 PM   #24
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
Does anyone else besides me have to put up with poor arse ingredients? I would love your 70/30 fine ground beef Chief, but most of the time to stretch the food budget I get the ground beef that comes five pounds to a tube for $10.99.

With that I generally take a pound of what might have some nominal beef content, and mainly is sawdust and recycled Chinese newspapers, add two eggs, two tbsp of bread crumbs, 1 tbsp of Worcestershire some salt, pepper, a bit of sirraciha and fish sauce, and maybe get something edible.

Yeah, mine needs a bun, a fresh slice of tomato, a little pepper jack cheese, and catsup and mayonnaise.

Cheers!
TBS
No, I have to put up with poor ingredients, too. Although I usually buy 85/15 and I think I get a lot of fat off that. I don't buy anything under that simply because what I spend for the meat and what I get from the final product makes it so much more expensive.

I just bought a 10lb tube at 40 off the posted price. But it's the regular hamburger they grind at the store.

I would love to try grass fed beef once and see if I could taste the difference. I tried a sirloin burger once from Jack in the Box, and didn't like it at all. So I'm a little leery of laying down money on ground sirloin as opposed to just buying plain ground beef.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:33 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post

Cheers!
TBS
I can understand the need to feed a family with the tube of ground meat when on a tight food budget. But what scares me about those tubes is that there have been over the years, several recalls on them due to contamination. Also one has no way of knowing what part of the animal is in that tube.

I have often wished we had some members in this forum who work in those food industries. I am sure they could tell us of many stories of exactly what goes on there.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:39 AM   #26
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have often wished we had some members in this forum who work in those food industries. I am sure they could tell us of many stories of exactly what goes on there.
I worked in a meat packing plant in Ohio for a summer, long story, but it is about what one would expect. It is pretty horrific. Not Upton Sinclair level horrific, but about what you would expect.

That being said, we have good controls over foodstuffs in this country (US), I saw some horrible things, and we don't really want to know what goes into cheaper ground beef (hint, involves a screen rotating at 9000 rpm and a lot of animal products thrown at it.) but I have never been nervous about contamination.

Food is a messy process, even if you are a complete purist and butcher your own. As soon as you start to hand that off to others, you make compromises. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be standards, but it is unreasonable to think our ground beef is carefully harvested in operating room conditions.

I also think it is just as likely to get contamination, from what I have seen, from the expensive 90% lean organic grass fed beef as it is from the tube o' beeflike stuff I get at BJ's wholesale.

Now with the tube? Yeah there is probably eyeball meat in there somewhere, I just try not to lose sleep over it. Your Mileage May Vary

TBS
Old 07-07-2016, 06:21 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Ever try cutting burgers across the grain?

(I have two words for anyone who buys pre-ground meat: e coli...)

I dutifully stuck with my hand grinder for years, but it kept binding with gristle, so when I found an all-metal Waring Pro on special at Costco for $70, I grabbed it. Night and day! I can grind an entire brisket in five minutes. I like to mix in chuck, brisket, flank, and a little bit of liver or heart. To guarantee retained juiciness, I add 1/2 tsp/lb of gelatin.

I recently watched an eye-opening Heston Blumenthal bit on burgers. His genius idea is to lay out the ground meat "noodles" coming out of the grinder so that they are all parallel, form them into a fat log, and then cut burgers out if it "across the grain." It transforms the texture of the burger.

Like Addie, I add milk, but in the form of soaked panko. I haven't yet figured out how to mix that into the parallel logs.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:09 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Hm. I've been buying pre-ground hamburger meat all my adult life and have never been affected by E. coli. Don't be such a fear-monger.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:16 AM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Hm. I've been buying pre-ground hamburger meat all my adult life and have never been affected by E. coli. Don't be such a fear-monger.
I applaud your good sense, GG.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:17 AM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Same here. I just took a pound and a half of 80/20 from the freezer to make meatloaf tomorrow for the thousandth time. I'll be sure to let everyone know if I die from E. coli.

Tags
black pepper, recipe, salt

My Best Burger Recipe Late last fall, we purchased a quarter call. At the time, I was sad as the butcher shop made us quite a bit of ground beef. Now, I'm glad he did. I took a 1/3 lb. chunk of ground beef and made it into what could easily be part of a summertime feast. It was a crazy-good piece of cooked meat, with all the flavor I could ever hope for from ground beef. The seasoning was simple. The cooking technique was simple. So good that condiments and bun were not required. It ate like tender, juicy steak. So the question is: how did I do it? The answer is: Keep is simple. [B]Ingredients:[/B] 1/3 lb. 75/45 blend of ground round 2 pinches Kosher Salt 1/2 tsp. coarse grind, freshly ground, black pepper Preheat a heavy frying pan on the stove, or fire up the grill. Form the ground beef into a loose ball. Begin flattening it into a four inch disk by pressing your palms together, while at the same time, using your thumbs to keep the disk edge intact. Turn the pattie a little in your hands and again squish it a little, still using your thumbs to make that perfect edge. Repeat this squish/turn process until the pattie is about 3/8ths' inch thick. Make sure the pattie is slightly thinner in the middle than at the sides, so that as it shrinks while cooking, it will become an even thickness all the way across. Now, sprinkle a light pinch of the salt over one side of the uncooked burger. Sprinkle half of the pepper evenly over the same. Place the burger, seasoned side down, onto the hot pan surface. The heat should be set at medium-high. While the first side is cooking, season the other side with salt and black pepper. Cook the first side for three minutes. then flip and cook the other side for three more minutes. Remove to a plate and let rest for one minute more. Enjoy with your favorite sides. Oh, have napkins ready. That burger is juicy and full of flavor, just like a good steak. If you're cooking the burgers on the grill, pre-form the burgers and season one side of them. Place them on the hot grill land season the other side. Again, cook for about three minutes per side. Remove and let rest. Ok, you can use bread and condiments if you must. Myself, if you have really good ground beef, and season lightly, and cook until just barely done, the completed burger can stand on its own. Just think, when you've mastered that burger, you can branch out and hit it with a compound butter, or top it with some sliced mushrooms, or even a great meat sauce. Me, I think I'm going to quit putting my burgers between buns. Sooooo good. Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews