My Best Burger Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought two separate types of beef yesterday that were on sale. One was a London Broil and the other a boneless chuck roast. The reason was simply grind them myself for making burgers and a small amount of baked meatballs. There was no grizzle in either piece of meat and when weighed out, I was able to get three pounds exactly.

I know from past experience, that when I bite into the burger or meatball, they are going to have a fresh taste that buying preground beef seems to lack. I don't know why. They just do. And I have asked the backroom to grind a certain piece of meat for me, right there while I wait.

So yes. I am a big fan of grinding my own meat. And I know what kind of meat I am eating. :angel:

I grind my own meat at the deli for hamburgers. Probably close to 60 pounds a week. I find that the burger has a better texture when I use a larger plate for the grinder. You can see the fat more in the raw patty which would make one think that it is a fattier burger. But is isn't. It is about an 80 -20 ratio. Most commercial places use a smaller plate so the overall product is a dark pink color because the smaller holes blend the fat with the meat almost to conceal the actual amount.
Using a larger plate also creates a looser packed patty which helps with the texture because it is more tender and juicy. I've played around with a few plates and I truly believe that this makes a big difference.

Chief, I'm so glad you posted that! I was given a book called American Classics by an American friend of mine, and the recipe for burgers was exactly the same as yours. I found them delicious, and have done them that way ever since, using the best quality ground beef I can get here in Italy - in my case, Fassino or Chianina beef. When the beef is top quality, you don't need anything other than salt! Our Italian friends love them, and can't believe they're so easy to do! I have a great respect for you so it was great to read your post.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Chief, I'm so glad you posted that! I was given a book called American Classics by an American friend of mine, and the recipe for burgers was exactly the same as yours. I found them delicious, and have done them that way ever since, using the best quality ground beef I can get here in Italy - in my case, Fassino or Chianina beef. When the beef is top quality, you don't need anything other than salt! Our Italian friends love them, and can't believe they're so easy to do! I have a great respect for you so it was great to read your post.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Wow! you make me feel like I know how to cook, or something. That was a great compliment. Thank you. Now, if I can only get my swelled head through the door...:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom