"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 08-04-2016, 05:16 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

I bought two separate types of beef yesterday that were on sale. One was a London Broil and the other a boneless chuck roast. The reason was simply grind them myself for making burgers and a small amount of baked meatballs. There was no grizzle in either piece of meat and when weighed out, I was able to get three pounds exactly.

I know from past experience, that when I bite into the burger or meatball, they are going to have a fresh taste that buying preground beef seems to lack. I don't know why. They just do. And I have asked the backroom to grind a certain piece of meat for me, right there while I wait.

So yes. I am a big fan of grinding my own meat. And I know what kind of meat I am eating.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:51 PM   #42
Executive Chef

I grind my own meat at the deli for hamburgers. Probably close to 60 pounds a week. I find that the burger has a better texture when I use a larger plate for the grinder. You can see the fat more in the raw patty which would make one think that it is a fattier burger. But is isn't. It is about an 80 -20 ratio. Most commercial places use a smaller plate so the overall product is a dark pink color because the smaller holes blend the fat with the meat almost to conceal the actual amount.
Using a larger plate also creates a looser packed patty which helps with the texture because it is more tender and juicy. I've played around with a few plates and I truly believe that this makes a big difference.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:53 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Larger plate wasn't a great idea when I ground moose. It was really tasty, but oh so chewy.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:54 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Larger plate wasn't a great idea when I ground moose. It was really tasty, but oh so chewy.
Yeah...that might make a difference...I'm using AAA Black Angus and adding steak trim...
Old 10-07-2016, 08:48 AM   #45
Assistant Cook

Ok, this must be good! I'll give it a try.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:34 AM   #46
Senior Cook

Addie, I have the best london broil marinate recipe ever, but it is in a box (moving) remind me and I will let you know.

TBS
Old 10-14-2016, 01:16 PM   #47
Senior Cook

Chief, I'm so glad you posted that! I was given a book called American Classics by an American friend of mine, and the recipe for burgers was exactly the same as yours. I found them delicious, and have done them that way ever since, using the best quality ground beef I can get here in Italy - in my case, Fassino or Chianina beef. When the beef is top quality, you don't need anything other than salt! Our Italian friends love them, and can't believe they're so easy to do! I have a great respect for you so it was great to read your post.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
Old 10-14-2016, 05:25 PM   #48
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
Chief, I'm so glad you posted that! I was given a book called American Classics by an American friend of mine, and the recipe for burgers was exactly the same as yours. I found them delicious, and have done them that way ever since, using the best quality ground beef I can get here in Italy - in my case, Fassino or Chianina beef. When the beef is top quality, you don't need anything other than salt! Our Italian friends love them, and can't believe they're so easy to do! I have a great respect for you so it was great to read your post.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Wow! you make me feel like I know how to cook, or something. That was a great compliment. Thank you. Now, if I can only get my swelled head through the door...

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black pepper, recipe, salt

My Best Burger Recipe Late last fall, we purchased a quarter call. At the time, I was sad as the butcher shop made us quite a bit of ground beef. Now, I'm glad he did. I took a 1/3 lb. chunk of ground beef and made it into what could easily be part of a summertime feast. It was a crazy-good piece of cooked meat, with all the flavor I could ever hope for from ground beef. The seasoning was simple. The cooking technique was simple. So good that condiments and bun were not required. It ate like tender, juicy steak. So the question is: how did I do it? The answer is: Keep is simple. [B]Ingredients:[/B] 1/3 lb. 75/45 blend of ground round 2 pinches Kosher Salt 1/2 tsp. coarse grind, freshly ground, black pepper Preheat a heavy frying pan on the stove, or fire up the grill. Form the ground beef into a loose ball. Begin flattening it into a four inch disk by pressing your palms together, while at the same time, using your thumbs to keep the disk edge intact. Turn the pattie a little in your hands and again squish it a little, still using your thumbs to make that perfect edge. Repeat this squish/turn process until the pattie is about 3/8ths' inch thick. Make sure the pattie is slightly thinner in the middle than at the sides, so that as it shrinks while cooking, it will become an even thickness all the way across. Now, sprinkle a light pinch of the salt over one side of the uncooked burger. Sprinkle half of the pepper evenly over the same. Place the burger, seasoned side down, onto the hot pan surface. The heat should be set at medium-high. While the first side is cooking, season the other side with salt and black pepper. Cook the first side for three minutes. then flip and cook the other side for three more minutes. Remove to a plate and let rest for one minute more. Enjoy with your favorite sides. Oh, have napkins ready. That burger is juicy and full of flavor, just like a good steak. If you're cooking the burgers on the grill, pre-form the burgers and season one side of them. Place them on the hot grill land season the other side. Again, cook for about three minutes per side. Remove and let rest. Ok, you can use bread and condiments if you must. Myself, if you have really good ground beef, and season lightly, and cook until just barely done, the completed burger can stand on its own. Just think, when you've mastered that burger, you can branch out and hit it with a compound butter, or top it with some sliced mushrooms, or even a great meat sauce. Me, I think I'm going to quit putting my burgers between buns. Sooooo good. Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews