"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 07-12-2015, 06:29 PM   #1
Master Chef

My Best Burger Recipe

Late last fall, we purchased a quarter call. At the time, I was sad as the butcher shop made us quite a bit of ground beef. Now, I'm glad he did.

I took a 1/3 lb. chunk of ground beef and made it into what could easily be part of a summertime feast. It was a crazy-good piece of cooked meat, with all the flavor I could ever hope for from ground beef. The seasoning was simple. The cooking technique was simple. So good that condiments and bun were not required. It ate like tender, juicy steak. So the question is: how did I do it? The answer is: Keep is simple.

Ingredients:
1/3 lb. 75/45 blend of ground round
2 pinches Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp. coarse grind, freshly ground, black pepper

Preheat a heavy frying pan on the stove, or fire up the grill.
Form the ground beef into a loose ball. Begin flattening it into a four inch disk by pressing your palms together, while at the same time, using your thumbs to keep the disk edge intact. Turn the pattie a little in your hands and again squish it a little, still using your thumbs to make that perfect edge.

Repeat this squish/turn process until the pattie is about 3/8ths' inch thick. Make sure the pattie is slightly thinner in the middle than at the sides, so that as it shrinks while cooking, it will become an even thickness all the way across. Now, sprinkle a light pinch of the salt over one side of the uncooked burger. Sprinkle half of the pepper evenly over the same. Place the burger, seasoned side down, onto the hot pan surface. The heat should be set at medium-high.

While the first side is cooking, season the other side with salt and black pepper. Cook the first side for three minutes. then flip and cook the other side for three more minutes. Remove to a plate and let rest for one minute more. Enjoy with your favorite sides.

Oh, have napkins ready. That burger is juicy and full of flavor, just like a good steak.

If you're cooking the burgers on the grill, pre-form the burgers and season one side of them. Place them on the hot grill land season the other side. Again, cook for about three minutes per side. Remove and let rest.

Ok, you can use bread and condiments if you must. Myself, if you have really good ground beef, and season lightly, and cook until just barely done, the completed burger can stand on its own.

Just think, when you've mastered that burger, you can branch out and hit it with a compound butter, or top it with some sliced mushrooms, or even a great meat sauce. Me, I think I'm going to quit putting my burgers between buns. Sooooo good.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:46 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Funny, I just recently decided to quit putting my burgers between buns too. So far, I have had one burger that way. Hamburger steak, that's what it is.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

75/45 blend. That must be a special order.

So, beef + salt + pepper + hot fire = Tasty Burger.

Got it.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:07 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
75/45 blend. That must be a special order.

So, beef + salt + pepper + hot fire = Tasty Burger.

Got it.
If you use 70/30, put a raw egg per pound of ground beef. It will keep it from shrinking and deforming in the middle as much.

80/20 is just too dry.

And Andy, I know you're already an expert at this, you too, Taxy.

I've just recently rediscovered that most food, when cooked right, has all the flavor and texture you need without fussing a lot over it. We won't go into my badly burned steaks on the 4th. That just wasn't cooked right.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 07-12-2015, 11:24 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, I figured "75/45" was a typo or a braino, since the 2 and the 4 are not near each other.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:32 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Well, I figured "75/45" was a typo or a braino, since the 2 and the 4 are not near each other.
Me make a mistake! I don't make mlistakes, or tipoes either. My speling is inacurate, and my typink is prefect. You no that. Besides, I expect my hamburger to give me 120%, just like I give at work.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Old 07-13-2015, 08:40 AM   #7
Senior Cook

I use ground beef from Highland cattle which is pretty much fat free. One pound of the ground beef>4 tbsp of melted clarified butter gently hand mixed into the beef>seasoned well>into hot heavy frying pan>in about fifteen seconds gently turn>continue to turn every 15 seconds until my experience tells me the burger is cooked to slightly above rare then rested. I use Heston Blumenthal's method of cooking the perfect steak (as shown on Youtube) when frying burgers.
IMO and millions of others HB's steak/burger method is the surest way to frying meat to perfection.
I dream of having a steak or burger at the Fat Duck some day.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:07 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
If you use 70/30, put a raw egg per pound of ground beef. It will keep it from shrinking and deforming in the middle as much.

80/20 is just too dry...
I dunno. I almost always use 90% lean ground beef for grilled burgers and they never turn out dry. Himself grills them, pretty much ignoring them until he remembers they need flipping. Never turn out dry. Must be the chef's doing.

Seriously, I DO use 90/10. All I add, per pound, is one egg and a small handful of dry bread crumbs. I form the patties, put them on a baking sheet and freeze, then store in the freezer (separated by sheets of waxed paper) in a zip bag until we want some. Maybe they stay moist because of the egg. Maybe because they went on frozen (we've never had a bloody center, nor have gotten sick, so I guess we're doing OK). Or maybe it's the meat - our little corner grocery store grinds all their beef blends in-house, several times each day.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:20 PM   #9
Master Chef

Often times I just use romaine lettuce as a carrier instead of buns.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:36 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Often times I just use romaine lettuce as a carrier instead of buns.
Thank you for the reminder. I have used lettuce instead of a bun and liked it.

Tags
black pepper, recipe, salt

My Best Burger Recipe Late last fall, we purchased a quarter call. At the time, I was sad as the butcher shop made us quite a bit of ground beef. Now, I'm glad he did. I took a 1/3 lb. chunk of ground beef and made it into what could easily be part of a summertime feast. It was a crazy-good piece of cooked meat, with all the flavor I could ever hope for from ground beef. The seasoning was simple. The cooking technique was simple. So good that condiments and bun were not required. It ate like tender, juicy steak. So the question is: how did I do it? The answer is: Keep is simple. [B]Ingredients:[/B] 1/3 lb. 75/45 blend of ground round 2 pinches Kosher Salt 1/2 tsp. coarse grind, freshly ground, black pepper Preheat a heavy frying pan on the stove, or fire up the grill. Form the ground beef into a loose ball. Begin flattening it into a four inch disk by pressing your palms together, while at the same time, using your thumbs to keep the disk edge intact. Turn the pattie a little in your hands and again squish it a little, still using your thumbs to make that perfect edge. Repeat this squish/turn process until the pattie is about 3/8ths' inch thick. Make sure the pattie is slightly thinner in the middle than at the sides, so that as it shrinks while cooking, it will become an even thickness all the way across. Now, sprinkle a light pinch of the salt over one side of the uncooked burger. Sprinkle half of the pepper evenly over the same. Place the burger, seasoned side down, onto the hot pan surface. The heat should be set at medium-high. While the first side is cooking, season the other side with salt and black pepper. Cook the first side for three minutes. then flip and cook the other side for three more minutes. Remove to a plate and let rest for one minute more. Enjoy with your favorite sides. Oh, have napkins ready. That burger is juicy and full of flavor, just like a good steak. If you're cooking the burgers on the grill, pre-form the burgers and season one side of them. Place them on the hot grill land season the other side. Again, cook for about three minutes per side. Remove and let rest. Ok, you can use bread and condiments if you must. Myself, if you have really good ground beef, and season lightly, and cook until just barely done, the completed burger can stand on its own. Just think, when you've mastered that burger, you can branch out and hit it with a compound butter, or top it with some sliced mushrooms, or even a great meat sauce. Me, I think I'm going to quit putting my burgers between buns. Sooooo good. Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews