My favorite beef jerky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SilvrBck

Cook
I am a certified jerky finatic and I eat it like a :pig: . I have tried many, many different recipes and this one is my all time favorite. It is somewhat of a teriyaki style but with enough other stuff to keep it interesting. Here we go....

5lb lean beef (I use london broil) sliced into thin strips, fat removed

Marinade:
2 C soy sauce
1 C water
1 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C sherry or rice wine
1/2 C apple cider or juice
2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1 tsp or more red pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 tsp or more Tabasco
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
salt to taste, if any at all

Depending on your desired heat level you can up the chili flakes or Tabasco. If you want it saltier you can add extra salt but the 2 cups of soy sauce are already pretty salty. You decide. I mix up the marinade and add the meat. I let the meat marinade overnight and then it goes into the dehydrator until ready to grub on (5-6 hours or so). The best treatment of the jerky is a long warm smoke under a blanket of alder wood smoke but many of us don't have a smokehouse available. :( If you use the oven to dehydrate make sure you don't get it too hot cause it will cause the jerky to dry out on the outside but not be done inside. If left too long it can turn out brittle, as well. The dehydrator is a good choice. I personally guarantee you'll love this or I'll recall this post!

Drew

Do you have to have a dehydrator to make beef jerky or can you use a smoker?

SlvrBck, I love the recipe you posted, thanks! I am really interested in trying to make this. Have you ever heard of biltong? I know, funny name. It's something that South African's love, and it's very similar to jerky, except it's usually not sweetened - more of a peppery taste. I have recipes that use a dehydrator, recipes that call for just hanging up the meat in a safe place and turning the fan on it, and I have recipes for making biltong in a special homemade box. My girls teethed on it! My BIL used to make it the old fashioned way (he was a farmer and had a special little house (thatched roof rondavel) for curing meat. Would you be interested?

htc said:
Do you have to have a dehydrator to make beef jerky or can you use a smoker?

A smoker would actually be the preferred method. Personally, I like alder wood chips for the smoke but that's just me. Apple wood might be a good choice since there's apple juice in the marinade. I would omit the liquid smoke if using a smoker. I wish I could tell you an optimal temp for the smoker but I can't. :neutral: Prolly around 150-170F would be good.

Drew

Sandyj said:
SlvrBck, I love the recipe you posted, thanks! I am really interested in trying to make this. Have you ever heard of biltong? I know, funny name. It's something that South African's love, and it's very similar to jerky, except it's usually not sweetened - more of a peppery taste. I have recipes that use a dehydrator, recipes that call for just hanging up the meat in a safe place and turning the fan on it, and I have recipes for making biltong in a special homemade box. My girls teethed on it! My BIL used to make it the old fashioned way (he was a farmer and had a special little house (thatched roof rondavel) for curing meat. Would you be interested?

Sure! Any dry cured meat is right up my alley.

I've heard that there are a lot of SA ex-pats in San Diego - have you heard this? I will fish out my recipes for you! If there are any hard to find spices called for, your town is probably the best place to get them in the whole US! -Sandyj

Hi SilvrBck,

I was born and raised in San Diego, then moved up to Vista when I was 15. I'm in South Carolina now but really miss it.

I love beef jerky, and your recipe looks great.

Sandyj, I would probably love biltong, since I love pepper.

:) Barbara

Sandyj, please post your recipes!!! I am one that does not care for sweetness in my jerky at all.

Shunka said:
Sandyj, please post your recipes!!! I am one that does not care for sweetness in my jerky at all.

Ummmm. Oh boy. I'd better seriously rethink that whole "I'll recall this post" guarantee. :-p

I didn't mean anything bad towards your recipe Silvrback! Just my personal preference; I usually make a batch for myself and a batch similar like your recipe for the rest of my family. In fact I printed your recipe out for my son-in-law. He and my daughter will go crazy for it!!!

Can anyone shed some light on how to use a smoker to make jerky? Approximately how long I should smoke it for? And approx. temp? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom