"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Old 02-07-2005, 10:27 AM   #11
Head Chef
Of course I make jerky!!

And smoked fish, and bacon, and beer and wine...

Next up - Sausage!!! (Or cheese - haven't really decided)

For really 'quick' jerky (As in, slice or grind, season, and go), I've had pretty good luck with some of the stuff from Hi Mountain Jerky seasonings.

(Speaking of which, I really should get another batch made up)

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 02:40 PM   #12
Assistant Cook
I make Jerky 5 or 6 times a year. Secret ingredient for my brine is a mix of red wine (cab) and Burbon. Cure for 12 to 24 hours.

I use a dry (not BBQ) smoker with a cooking temp circa 95F. I want smoke cured jerky, not cooked (140F).

Be sure that you let the meat dry for several hours. It should be dry to the touch (don't remember techno term).

I smoke the meat with cherry or apple wood for upwards of 24 hours then let is rest for 2 to 3 days in the fridge (keeps the dog away).

While I know people use liquid smoke and either ovens or dehydrators (SP?), I find there is no substitute for using a real smoker. I have the largest Little Chief brand smoker ($75). Also like to smoke ribs for a few hours then finish them on BBQ....

Markf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 02:44 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
thanks everyone for the tips. i agree about the temperature. 145 degrees did give the meat a "cooked" taste i'm not used to in jerky, but it was still good.
hmmm, the wine brine sounds good. i will be making some more jerky from thicker slices tonight, along with pineapple slices. i'll post my next results...

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote