My Jerky Experiment(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lulu, if you like, the next time I make a batch I`ll gladly send you some, you`ll have to PM your addy to me.
it`ll be nice to "Share the Wealth" as a few of the girls on here have sent me Liquid smoke at no cost, so I`ll be happy to send you some of the end product :)

YT, what type of chili sauce did you use? I never thought about using marmite; makes sense though!! Good thing I have found sites to order it from here in the states. Been a long time sense I last made jerky; son-in-law makes his way too sweet for me. Like you; I do not care for a sweet taste in mine.

Oooh, yum! I'm in UK from mid May onwards, easiest to send it there than Italy....I'll gleefully send my address if you are going to have some to share!

Turtledove, Mines homemade chili sauce, I grow my own chilis, but you could use Tobasco if you like, it`s very similar to mine (`cept mine`s better):cool:

Lulu, great, let me know closer to the time, I`ll send some your way :)

I most certainly will! I'll pm my westcountry address to you next month, huh? Then you'll have it at hand for the next batch! I'm really looking forward to it!

Thanks, YT! I was thinking you were using your own made. You have me wanting to make jerky again; when I can find time to do so.

Im about to mess around with some beef jerkey for the first time in this apartment, im about to move so I need preserved food to help me on my journey (an hour drive :LOL: ).

Im looking for some Marmite right now.

Any tips, this is the first time ive done jerkey in years.

best cut of meat and as fat free as possible (marble is NOT good), trim the junk and give it the cat (or dog).
make the mix and leave in the fridge a good 24 hours.

proceed as you did before :)

I have had good results using a Ginger Teriyaki bottled marinade
with the meat, marinating for 24 hours, remove, pat dry.
Sprinkle with garlic, black pepper, bit of cayenne or other spice heat,
let that sit for a few hours, then proceed with drying.

I just bought a box fan to give Air Drying a try. Now to wait for the
Buy 1 Get 1 Free London Broil sale! Thinking of trying a bulgogi
jerky...

What I like about the stuff is that there is such an infinite range of
flavors you can create! For those who prefer pre-packaged, I highly
recommend High Mountain Jerky. They have jerky spices for meat,
burger, fish, game, turkey, smokers, dryers, a specialized cutting
board that works quite well... Their website is a fun place to browse.
WELCOME TO HI MOUNTAIN SEASONINGS

So does anyone else get Jerky Jaw from eating too much?

well I have marinated it for 24 hours in
1 cup soy
dash dark soy
3 tablespoons liquid smoke
1 tablespoon garlic and chili
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. onion salt
2 tsp. pepper

i took it out of the fridge and am now modifying my oven.

Barb. I dont see why not, but I dont think I would freeze it. I eat it too fast.

Barb,
You CAN freeze jerky, but like BBQ Mikey sez, it doesnt last long enough to worry about doing that.
If it is properly dried, it will stay good out on the counter for a week or so. I store mine in the frig in zipper bags with a paper towel to absorb any moisture.

Brisket has too much fat in it to make good jerky.

I buy bottom round or arm roasts when they are on sale. I freeze them for about an hour, then slice them a quarter inch thick across the grain. Cheapest and leanest cuts are best.

I marinate them overnight in plastic bags in a mixture of soy sauce, worchestershire (?) sauce and teriyaki sauce.

If you are in the States, I buy spices for my "Slim Jim's" (hamburger) from NESCO. I buy the Original for my SO and the hot and spicy for me.

oldcampcook said:
If it is properly dried, it will stay good out on the counter for a week or so.
It will last much much longer than a week. The purpose of making jerky is to preserve the meat. It will last for months and months if stored in the right container. You don't want to keep it in a zip lock bag for long as that will hold moisture close to the meat, but if you put it in a container where the jerky has room around it then it will last a lot longer.

There is no need to freeze it Barb as the point of jerky is to preserve it anyway.

Last edited:
By the way YT, i just tried a nibble. That recipe is excellent. Thanks a bunch for making it a success....beginners luck? I think not!

Back
Top Bottom