My Jerky Experiment(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YT2095

Executive Chef
having made Biltong and dried sausages in the past, I thought I`de try my hand at "Propper" Jerky (beef).

Thus far:

a nice slab of Hip steak thinly cut from the butchers, I trimmed all the fat off although there is plenty marbleing in the meat itself.
I battered that to within an inch of it`s life with a meat hammer, and cut into strips.

marinaded with:

a table spoon and a half of muscavado sugar
2 T spoons of Liquid smoke
1 T spoon of home made Chili sauce
1 T spoon of dried Naga Chili flakes (home grown)
1 T Spoon of fresh ground black pepper.
1/4 cup of scotch whiskey

I didn`t have any soy sauce so I disolved 2 T spoons of salt in just enough beer to do the job, and then added that.

that was left to stand in the fridge a good 24 hours with occasional mixing to make sure All get`s some :)

now I took it out today, and the smell was quite different, not unpleasant, but not exactly appetising either.

I put these in a drainer and then dried all peices with kitchen towel and arranged them on a rack, I`ve had to modify the Gas oven somewhat, but NOW they`re drying Nicely and actulay LOOK like jerky around the edges :w00t:

AND the smell is now much more towards how it Should be!

so far so good, I`ll update this as and When I get more Data.

This isn`t a one off experiment either, I shall be posting many more over the months with results both Good and Bad, and hopefully getting feedback from some of my Guiniue pig friends that don`t know it yet :angel:

I use to make beef jerky for my son - he loves it. Just be careful with the marbled meat, the fat is waht goes rancid, store in fridge. I use to use the leanest meat I could fine, thus stays fresher longer. Good Luck with yours and do let us know how it turns out !

is Brisket any good?

I planned on trying that also, but if you can save me a few shillings... :))

I`ll google that to translate to a UK cut and tell Carl (my butcher) to get me some if he doesn`t already have it in, Thnx :)

YT2095 said:
is Brisket any good?

I planned on trying that also, but if you can save me a few shillings... :))
YT,
when I use to make it for the kids, I used flank steak..I would also imagine a good round steak well beaten would be good as well. I was always told the tougher cuts had the most flavor so I went the flank steak route.

kadesma

YT2095 said:
I`ll google that to translate to a UK cut and tell Carl (my butcher) to get me some if he doesn`t already have it in, Thnx :)
No problem, the eye of round is usually the size of a grapefruit around and any length you want.

well so far they`ve shrunk to Half their size and are a good deep reddy/brown and will stay flat when held at one end, although Not exactly Hard per se, I`de fail to scratch Glass with them :)

so thus far, all`s looking good :)

Well, it turned out Very Well for a 1`st try, it Looks and smells authentic and the taste isn`t Bad (but can be improved much more), and the texture looks about right working from memory.

I let my Friend try it and he likes it also (even took the other peice off me).
I`m concerned about the marbeling in it though as when it was drying there was a distinct sign of fat leakage, so I expect the "eat-By" date will be within the next 3 days of this post.

I had some last night and it was also quite nice, but I know I can do MUCH better!

I`ve taken advice and seen my butcher and asked if he knows of "Round of Eye" he seemed to and I think it`s called Silverside here, the round of eye is the end part of the cut.
anyway, I got 6 slices of that, Very thin as I asked him to (I`ve got to pay him in the morning as I didn`t have any cash on me when I asked and he was closing shop).

so I`ll be starting that in the morning, and posting results in a couple of days, Oh yeah, I`ve got my Soy Sauce now too :))

I`ve Nearly Cracked it!

a Cup of Soy sauce
a tablesppon of chili sauce
2 T spoons of Muscavado sugar
2 T spoons of Liquid Smoke concentrate
2 T spoons of Marmite (honestly it Works!)

I used thinly cut silverside of beef well trimmed and let that rest in a bowl with the marinade for 24 hours in the fridge.

when dried this stuff is Perfect!, and if you can`t get Marmite then Vegamite should work or even Bovril.

My friend tried some and also agrees it`s WAY better than my 1`st try and is even thinking about making his own now too :)

I think the Next batch I`ll skip on the sugar entirely, I can`t see how it enhances anything at all other than add a sweetness, which is something I don`t want with a Beef product at all (personaly).

Is Marmite enough like vegemite, so it's needed for the salt content?
(Don't know much about it, as I can't eat much salt)

it is salty yeah, and very much in the same way as vegamite is.
and indeed Bovril (only Bovril is Concentrated beef extract).

Vegamite may be a little harder to dissolve as it`s more Granular in texture, whereas Bovril or Marmite are closer to a Honey consistancy.

it probably wouldn`t hurt to heat the marinade a little during this and then allow to cool when all mixed, although I would add the Liquid Smoke after and not before heating.

I wonder if it would work with Beef Stock Cubes????

sounds like an experiment for another day :)

ok, Latest Batch is the Best Yet!

I bought a whole peice of Silverside beef £6.00 worth, and prepared it all as it should be.
the difference is I dropped the Sugar entirely.

a Cup of Soy sauce
a tablesppon of chili sauce
1 T spoon salt
3 T spoons of Liquid Smoke concentrate
2 T spoons of Marmite
a pinch of ground black pepper

24 hours in the fridge and then follow standard proceedure.

This is by Far the best ever batch yet, I can`t see anyway to improve this for Our tastes anyway, there`s 3 other that concur.

worry not however, I will continue this thread with Further experiments, I haven`t Quite now I have One perfected, Another kind soul from DC is sending me some Mesquite liquid smoke, and so that will be a whole other Chapter :)

Stay Tuned !

:) You can get nice thin slices if you partially freeze meat to firm it up.In fact your butcher might do this for you as Im sure he has a meat slicer

yeah, he did that for me the 1`st time, but had`nt got a clue what I was doing, and jerky didn`t mean anything to him and when I mentioned liquid smoke he looked at me like I was a Madman (he was only 51% right).

so this time I bought the whole chunk of meat and did it myself. bag it, freezer for half hour then out and cut.
I have a Huge chinese meat cleaver so razor sharp you could shave with it!, I used that to slice it, it doesn`t even need any Down pressure, just a slide forwards and it`s cut a 3 inch by 5 inch slice for you :)

it`s equaly adept at removing Thumb tips and nail when your tired (as I found out last year) *sigh*
it didn`t hurt at all though, I think that`s the Scary part! :eek:

:) We cut ours so its more the size of bacon strips.You may want to take butcher a few pieces when done he may well enjoy it and seeing the finished product might make more sense to him.If you have a food dehydrator it works great for jerky as well.

I have been reading these post on "Jerky" for the past 30+ minutes.
No where do I see the opyion of drying the jerky in the sun.

Here is So. Cal. the sun get's in the 110 - 120 degree range from about 10:00a to about 2:00p Maybe longer depending on the cloud cover. (some times it don't "burn" off until noon)

I will put my cinnamon rolls in the sun to proof.

Why couldn't you use the air filters, A La Alan Brown, and dry the jerky in ths sun?

TIA

Hungry said:
I have been reading these post on "Jerky" for the past 30+ minutes.
No where do I see the opyion of drying the jerky in the sun.

if you look at the Date stamps on the posts you`ll see why I never mentioned it.
Here in the UK the outside temp has only just gotten into double figures over the last week.
That`s why Sun Drying wasn`t mentioned.

LOL YT, looks like instead of me sending to you from London, you'll me sending to me in the south....it sounds great!

Back
Top Bottom