"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 03-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Well, I gave it another go last night. Slightly more successful than previous attempts, but I still wasn't happy with it. I cut back on the ketchup in the loaf and I increased the amount of bread crumbs. And I wizzed the veggies in the food processor until pretty fine. Dang, it did taste good though! One of you guys should try this recipe and tell me how yours turned out! :)

Old 03-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Many moons ago my mother was taking a trip to FL to visit her parents. This was the first time she had ever left my dad and us boys alone for more than just a night. She left a number of recipes and dinner ideas so that we would not starve.

One recipe was for meatloaf. The three of us guys made it together following her instructions perfectly. While shaping it dad accidentally dropped the whole thing on the floor. Being the guys that we were we just picked it up, brushed it off, and kept going. The meatloaf was cooked and eaten. It had next to no flavor, but it held together perfectly. Dad was convinced that dropping it on the floor was the key to making sure it did not fall apart. Give it a shot

Old 03-11-2008, 02:41 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
GB - you have been quite "sassy" today! Too much caffeine? Too much sleep?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:51 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Bucky and Ken seem to be on vacation so someone needed to step up.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:58 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Well, you certainly are doing a mighty fine job - they should both be very proud of you!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:57 AM   #16
Sous Chef

I always make my meatloaf in a cast iron dutch oven I make the loaf round so the edges are a few inches from touching the sides of the oven. I think the radient heat from the iron sides helps create a nice thick crust and I end up with a loveley dome shaped meatloaf and they never fall apart even with turkey.

Tonight I am making meatloaf sans DO I will see if it comes as good.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:56 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I looked at your recipe and it does look a bit too wet. Also, more importantly, only use ONE egg. Two eggs is way overkill and can take your already "wet" loaf and make it near impossible for the excess fats and juices to drain out.

One thing I do is fater I mix my ingredients loosely and pack it into the loaf pan I then invert the pan and let the un-cooked meat loaf fall onto a jelly roll pan lined with parchment paper. I don't cook my meat loaf in a loaf pan at all. This lets all the cumulative grease drip away and allows for a very nice crust. You might try this cooking method with only one egg. This will let some of your excess "wetness" run off through the course of baking. Once the loaf is done baking, tent it and let it rest for about 10 to 15 minutes.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:19 PM   #18
Master Chef

I agree about using less liquid and only one egg. I like to use crushed saltines in meatloaf...about 3/4 sleeve for 2 lbs meat.

I don't use a loaf pan, either. I pat the meatloaf out into shape and cook it in a baking dish, covering it with lid or foil for the first 45 minutes. I then remove the cover, put the catsup on top and finish it off. As home chef said above, it gets a nice crust on it that way. It also keeps it from sitting in grease, although if you use good lean ground chuck, it won't have that much.

My meatloaf does crack open sometimes, but it mostly stays together.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:09 AM   #19
Head Chef

Passion Cook - the last week at daughters I set out to make meatloaf exactly per your recipe to understand the problem. Just used onion, forgot to get parsley and for meat forgot to get the Italian sausage but did use about 2 1/4 pounds of 80% lean. Oh, rather than ketchup I used tomato sauce which I didn't exactly measure - just made a moist mix that was holding together well. Daughter uses tomato sauce in her's. Otherwise the same. Did tear up the bread by hand for the crumbs.

Might have cooked a little longer - covered with foil - maybe an hour and twenty minutes, can't remember but to about 165 degrees F.

It was a fairly large meatloaf for three adults and two little children - ages 8 and 9. Stayed together nicely and all gone! Wish I could help you in your quest. Did mix well, very well. Good luck!
Old 04-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Try using your loaf pan as a mold, inverting the meat loaf onto a broiler pan before cooking it. This will drain off a lot more fat, and crust up the outside. Both of these should prevent it from falling apart when you slice it.

Tags
None