"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 07-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Chief Longwind - Your Mexican Volcano sounds great and my step children would really love it, but not my DH. He is not an adverturous person with eating and also would never eat Mexican. But my step children lived in LA for a while with their mother and got used to Mexican food. At Christmas, I always make a Mexican style dip or side dish for them.

Rob, the meatloaf doesn't stew in it's own fat if you use the pan with the holes in the bottom for the fat to drain, and a loaf pan makes it just the right size to cut slices for sandwiches. But someone also had the idea to shape it in the loaf pan then turn it out on a broiler pan to bake. I might try that.
Just make sure your loaf isn't soupy or it will fall apart when you turn it out onto the sheet pan. And I know the pan you are referring to with the holes. You are right. It doesn't sit in the fat stewing. I use tomato paste instead of ketchup to get that tomato taste in my meat loaf on the rare occasions I attempt to make one. Good luck.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #42
Executive Chef

Ok, I'm back. I made meatloaf last night, did not put it in a loaf pan but baked it on an open pan with drainage holes. It got a nice crust on the outside, but still crumbled when sliced. The leftovers have been refrigerated overnight and still crumble when sliced. After doing some more online searches I saw a comment that said not to use meat that has been frozen because it gets water in it. That might be my problem. Years back when I made it I bought my meat when I needed it. Now that we're retired and there's just the two of us, I separate my packages of meat and freeze what I'm not using right away, so my meatloaf now is always made from frozen meat. The next time, I will buy freshly ground meat and try that. I am determined to make a meatloaf that results in nice slices!! LOL

Old 07-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #43
Executive Chef

I didn't notice until late in the topic that it was a revived topic. But...

The recipe in the OP used too much egg--just 1 egg is just right. Also, don't put any ketchup in the mixture. Put the ketchup on top after the loaf is formed. My own family recipe substitutes Homade (brand) chile sauce for the ketchup and it tastes great!

When I make my chicken meatloaf I form the loaf and place it on a rack sitting on a cookie sheet (covering the sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean-up). I have a few half-sheet heavy duty racks bought at a restaurant supply store but an ordinary cake cooling rack would work fine too.

I invented my chicken meatloaf recipe myself but my beef meatloaf has been perfected since I was a kid and mom cooked it, and I've never seen any reason to change it--it gets cooked in an ordinary bread pan and it's always used the Homade chili sauce as the topping. I don't know if Homade is nationally available but consider trying it if you can find it. It's more like chunky style ketchup and is not a hot sauce (it's no more spicy than ordinary ketchup).
Old 07-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #44
Certified Pretend Chef

Carol, could you post your recipe?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I didn't notice until late in the topic that it was a revived topic. But...

The recipe in the OP used too much egg--just 1 egg is just right. Also, don't put any ketchup in the mixture. Put the ketchup on top after the loaf is formed. My own family recipe substitutes Homade (brand) chile sauce for the ketchup and it tastes great!

When I make my chicken meatloaf I form the loaf and place it on a rack sitting on a cookie sheet (covering the sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean-up). I have a few half-sheet heavy duty racks bought at a restaurant supply store but an ordinary cake cooling rack would work fine too.

I invented my chicken meatloaf recipe myself but my beef meatloaf has been perfected since I was a kid and mom cooked it, and I've never seen any reason to change it--it gets cooked in an ordinary bread pan and it's always used the Homade chili sauce as the topping. I don't know if Homade is nationally available but consider trying it if you can find it. It's more like chunky style ketchup and is not a hot sauce (it's no more spicy than ordinary ketchup).

I have to have the ketchup in the meatloaf. I don't like the taste of it without it. I don't think that would have anything to do with it falling apart because I have done that all my life and my mother did too.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Carol, could you post your recipe?

I don't measure ingredients.

About 1 1/2 lb ground meat-sometimes more
1 egg, or two
finely chopped onion-about a half an onion
1/2 c bread crumbs or cracker crumbs
salt, pepper, celery salt, parsley flakes
couple squirts of ketchup

This is pretty much the way I have done it for years. I used to bake it in a loaf pan, but in recent years I have put it in a casserole dish with cut up potatoes and poured tomato soup right out of the can over the potatoes. I bake it at 350 for at least an hour depending on the size of the meatloaf. It would be covered with foil for the first 30 min, then I would uncover just the meatloaf and leave the potatoes covered. I let it sit for about 15-20 minutes before cutting it. I would let it sit longer, but my husband is ready to eat as soon as it comes out of the oven. LOL For years I made a meat loaf in a loaf pan every Sunday for my husband's meatloaf sandwiches for work the following week. It sliced up very nicely. I'm not doing anything differently as far as I know. Yesterday, I baked the meatloaf uncovered the whole time and cooked the potatoes in a separate pan. Sill fell apart.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #47
Certified Pretend Chef

Normally I'd say two eggs would be OK and add more bread crumbs because the ketchup is added liquid.

However, if this recipe has been successful in the past, those are probably not the right answers. The only other thing I can think of is it needs to be thoroughly mixed so the ingredients are evenly distributed and pressed into shape firmly so it stays together.

Try this: Firmly press the prepared meat into your loaf pan so the meat is pressed together, then turn it out onto your casserole dish for baking.

If that doesn't help, I'm at a loss.

Does you ground meat have a different fat content from before?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

I've used this recipe for about 30 years, with a couple of alterations: http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...8-d252643ca66a

I use 1.5 lbs of 85% lean ground beef and 1 lb ground pork. I usually increase the sage to 1 tsp dried. The milk and bread together help bind the meat and keep it juicy. When I take it out of the oven, I pour off the fat to use for making gravy.

I don't think a couple squirts of ketchup would change the texture much. It makes great sandwiches. Hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #49
Executive Chef

Carol, my "too much ketchup" was directed to the OP although he/she is probably long gone. Your "couple squirts" wouldn't have any significant effect.

I compared your recipe with my family recipe (realized mine calls for 2 eggs...) and the only real difference I could see was that you use bread/cracker crumbs. My recipe calls for 3 slices of whole wheat bread, cubed and mixed into the meat mixture. My meatloaf always hangs together so if you're willing to consider the bread that might help you. Oh, and do not discard the crust. Use all the bread. You might use 4 slices since my standard recipe is for 1 pound of beef.

BTW mine cooks at 325 for 45 minutes.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #50
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It makes great sandwiches.
That's the best reason of all to make meatloaf (or turkey), the sandwiches!!! Either of them is worth making even if you intend to use ALL of it for sandwiches!!!

Tags
None