"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 08-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #61
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
That's what I said three or four posts up. You just said it with fewer words. Good job.
I just bought a house and now I'm so poor that I can't even afford to pay attention.

Anyway, of course it's fewer words! Can you imagine somebody saying what you said with more words?

Old 08-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #62
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I just bought a house and now I'm so poor that I can't even afford to pay attention.

Anyway, of course it's fewer words! Can you imagine somebody saying what you said with more words?
You're a funny guy. Remind me to send you some great recipes, altered. Moohuahahaha. Have you ever tried cream of tartar in your chocolate milk? It's really good. And by the way, I was glad you posted what you did. I just wanted someone to understand the whole idea that freezing a set amount of food, with water in it, does not change the amount of water in the food. I just gave other tips as well, to try and give everyone an understanding of how the ingredients all worked together.

About being without pocket cash, I just had to purchase a enw car battery, get a new drive belt installed, and get my windshield repaired. And DW called me today to inform me that my roof is leaking. (heavy sigh). I'm so broke I can't afford a free meal.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #63
Assistant Cook

For that Tomato taste try Salsa instead of ketchup next time. Also, half full the meatloaf pan, make a trench in the middle of the meat mixture and add your favorite cheese (I use Cheddar). Cover with the rest of your meat mixture. I then place a Couple strips of bacon on top. Cook and Wa-La!
A no crumble meatloaf!
Old 08-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairsDen View Post
For that Tomato taste try Salsa instead of ketchup next time. Also, half full the meatloaf pan, make a trench in the middle of the meat mixture and add your favorite cheese (I use Cheddar). Cover with the rest of your meat mixture. I then place a Couple strips of bacon on top. Cook and Wa-La!
A no crumble meatloaf!
Welcome to DC! This sounds like a great idea, thanks!
Old 09-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #65
Executive Chef

I thought I'd come back and let everyone know that I made meatloaf yesterday and it stayed together and sliced nicely. I used my same recipe, 85% gr beef, onion, parsley, salt, pepper, eggs, bread crumbs and ketchup. This time I bought the meat freshly ground in the morning instead of using frozen meat. I put it in a loaf pan and packed it really tight then turned it out onto my baking pan. I still put the potatoes around it with the tomato soup mixed into them. Baked it for 30 minutes with foil over it, then removed the foil and baked it for another hour. I put it on a plate and let it sit for 20 minutes or so while I prepared some veggies. It sliced down very nicely. I really noticed the difference in the texture after packing it down in the loaf pan. The leftovers will make great sandwiches for my son-in-law's lunch.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #66
Chef Extraordinaire

Well I am still meatloaf impaired. So I will never make it again. I gave up a long time ago.

Now I buy the Banquet, Hungry Man or whatever is on sale in the freezer department. If I want a good one with plenty of gravy for the mashed potatoes, I go eat out in a restaurant. If it is on the menu, I will order it. My only complaint is they always served me too much. One slice with one scoop of potatoes and plenty of gravy. It is all I need to make me happy.

My daughter is planning a big party for me next March for my 75th birthday. She asked me my favorite meal. Meatloaf! "Ma, I can't feed that to all those people." So too make her happy, I suggested her favorite food. Lobster. Only I did make it cheaper than one lobster for each person. I suggested a Lobster Roll for each person with a Chefs Salad on the side. One lobster can feed three people when in a roll. She is thinking a big meal, I am thinking of plenty of appetizers served buffet style. If I had my way, there would be no party or if it has to be, make it peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. In lieu gifts I am going to ask that each person bring one can good or food for the church's food bank. If I get any cash, I will give part of it to the food bank. I don't want any more dust collectors.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #67
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Well I am still meatloaf impaired. So I will never make it again. I gave up a long time ago.

Now I buy the Banquet, Hungry Man or whatever is on sale in the freezer department. If I want a good one with plenty of gravy for the mashed potatoes, I go eat out in a restaurant. If it is on the menu, I will order it. My only complaint is they always served me too much. One slice with one scoop of potatoes and plenty of gravy. It is all I need to make me happy.
There is only one restaurant in our area that has meatloaf on the menu and DH doesn't like theirs. It has chunks of carrot and red and green peppers in it and he doesn't like that. I imagine it would be hard to make meatloaf for one. Some people make little meat loaves by putting the meat mixture in muffin tins. They bake a lot faster. I think you could make them and then freeze the extras. Since you have a restaurant that has meatloaf that you like, then that works too. You could bring the extra home for the next day. Occasionally I make a very small meatloaf since it's just the two of us, but my step daughter appreciates getting my leftovers.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Cold meatloaf makes such great sandwiches that we never worry about the leftovers.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #69
Head Chef

[QUOTE=Addie;1297511]Well I am still meatloaf impaired. So I will never make it again. I gave up a long time ago.

My daughter is planning a big party for me next March for my 75th birthday. She asked me my favorite meal. Meatloaf! "Ma, I can't feed that to all those people." So too make her happy, I suggested her favorite food. Lobster. Only I did make it cheaper than one lobster for each person. I suggested a Lobster Roll for each person with a Chefs Salad on the side. One lobster can feed three people when in a roll. She is thinking a big meal, I am thinking of plenty of appetizers served buffet style. If I had my way, there would be no party or if it has to be, make it peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. In lieu gifts I am going to ask that each person bring one can good or food for the church's food bank. If I get any cash, I will give part of it to the food bank. I don't want any more dust collectors. [/QUOTE

I wouldn't worry too much about being "meatloaf impaired." I once saw Emerill LaGasse do a show with meatloaf. It fell apart when he tried to plate the whole loaf. He just sort of smashed it back together and went on as if nothing had happened. It happens to us all.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire

I love it when the powers that be decide to show the partial failures of the TV chefs. It lets the rest of us know that we are not alone in our kitchens.

In this part of the country, we have The Cheesecake Factory Their menu is like reading a book. Page after page to select from. They make the best meatloaf going. Plenty of gravy and heaps of mashed potatoes. My g'daughter just got hired there. She just spent a week in training. They had to taste all the foods and learn the menu. Real proper training.

The second place for me to get meatloaf is up by Boxford/Georgetown. There is a diner called "Wigwam" and when you order meatloaf it is like Mom used to make. All their pies are made on site as are all their deserts. It is a small place and always a line outside the door. Even in the bitter cold of winter. Don't even try to get in on Sunday morning after church. My sister and I used to go there all the time, but only around 3 p.m.

Meatloaf. Such a basic American dish, and yet so varied no matter where you go.

Tags
None