"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Old 09-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #71
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
The leftovers will make great sandwiches for my son-in-law's lunch.
I've made meatloaf just to have the ingredient to make meatloaf sandwiches for future lunches!

It's amazing how good meatloaf sandwiches are!

Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #72
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I've made meatloaf just to have the ingredient to make meatloaf sandwiches for future lunches!

It's amazing how good meatloaf sandwiches are!
On that note, DW and I are hitting the road today to visit P.A.G., Sprout, and out two grandaughters, and of course the husbands as well. Last night I broke out a lb. of ground beef, and make a quarter pounder for each of us. I wanted meat loaf sandwiches for me, for the drive, and DW wanted PBJ's. So I took the remaining half-pound of ground beef, and treated it like this:

1/2 lb. ground beef
1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
1 large egg
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried Oregano
1 tsp. dried Basil
1/4 tsp. granulated garlic
1/4 tsp. graniuated onion
2 tbs. milk

Stir all ingredients until thoroughly mixed.
IN a small bowl, combine 2 tbs each - Lee & Perrin's Worcestershire Sauce, ketchup, A1 Steak Sauce. Pour half of this mixture into a mini loaf pan. Distribute this sauce evenly over the bottom and sides of the pan. Press in the meatloaf mixture. Pour the remaining sauce evenly over the top. Place in convection oven at 375' F. and bake for 35 minutes. When done, remove and let cool. Wrap and refrigerate.

This made enough meatloaf for four large servings, or two nice sandwiches (which is what I did with it), and a good leftover chunk to taste it.

This mini meatloaf came out firm, moist, and with a great flavor. The sauce was spot-on. I am very happy with the results. There was no pool of fat in the pan, or congealed fat surrounding the loaf when I took it out to slice it this morning.

The beauty of this recipe is that you can change up the herbs and spices to whatever suits your fancy. Add pepper, soy, ginger, and 5 spice instead of the basil and oregano, and you have an Asian flavor profile. Change up with cumin, coriander, peppers, and chili powder for a Tex/Mex flavor. Simply add salt and pepper, then cover with gravy for a true American Meatloaf. Add grated Parmigiano Regiano if you want. This is a very versatile recipe. And if you don't need a full meatloaf, it really gives you a nice sized loaf for two people.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #73
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I love it when the powers that be decide to show the partial failures of the TV chefs. It lets the rest of us know that we are not alone in our kitchens.

In this part of the country, we have The Cheesecake Factory Their menu is like reading a book. Page after page to select from. They make the best meatloaf going. Plenty of gravy and heaps of mashed potatoes. My g'daughter just got hired there. She just spent a week in training. They had to taste all the foods and learn the menu. Real proper training.

The second place for me to get meatloaf is up by Boxford/Georgetown. There is a diner called "Wigwam" and when you order meatloaf it is like Mom used to make. All their pies are made on site as are all their deserts. It is a small place and always a line outside the door. Even in the bitter cold of winter. Don't even try to get in on Sunday morning after church. My sister and I used to go there all the time, but only around 3 p.m.

Meatloaf. Such a basic American dish, and yet so varied no matter where you go.
We no longer have any diners in our area. Diners have such great food, and they always have meatloaf. When we moved here 35 years ago there was a great diner 2 miles away. It was always crowded. A few years later it changed hands, and they decided to add on and make it a regular brick and mortar restaurant. It went down hill after than and is now closed. Someone else tried to run a restaurant there and it also closed. The people in this area wanted the diner. Now even the building is gone.

We don't put gravy on our meatloaf. My husband doesn't like gravy. LOL Is anyone surprised? He eats his plain. I either put ketchup on mine or I slice up some tomatoes and have a piece of tomato with each bite of meatloaf. I cut up potatoes and mix them with tomato soup straight from the can, and put them around the meatloaf. I bake it covered for 1/2 hour and then uncover the meatloaf only for the rest of the cooking time. I did this once and he liked it so it's been that way ever since. Once you find something he will eat, you don't EVER change it! LOL

Hearing about the gravy is making me hungry for a hot meatloaf sandwich with gravy over it. I think I might order that out next time.
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #74
Executive Chef
Chief Longwind,

I like your mini meatloaf recipe and have copied it to my recipe file. I usually make a large meatloaf so I have some to give my step-daughter. Her husband likes to take meatloaf for his lunch, but they rarely have it because their oven does not work. My husband used to take meatloaf sandwiches for lunch when he worked, but after 35 years of eating sandwiches every day he never wants to eat another sandwich. I think he's missing out on a lot of good food, but it's his choice. If I need something quick for dinner I could make a mini loaf just for us.

I also like your sauce you made with it. When I make my meatloaf with the potatoes mixed with tomato soup, I could make that sauce instead when I find myself without a can of tomato soup in the house. I will just increase the quantity to cover the potatoes. We might even like it better than the tomato soup.

CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote