Nearly Raw Hamburger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Although I do enjoy steak medium-rare to rare, I always order burgers medium these days. While I often test the limits of food safety in other areas, I draw the line at raw meat (outside of some shellfish, & seafood sushi).

I eat my burgers medium.

Steak Tartare is a holiday delicacy here in WI, but it's not made from a pound of ground beef from the grocery. It's made from a steak that has been blanched to kill the bugs on the surface. The meat is then ground up and the thin cooked layer of grey meat is barely noticeable. Preparing it this way still carries health risks, but no more than eating a rare steak...

...we used to grind up top round, mix in raw onion, salt and pepper and eat it raw on rye bread.

Mmmm ... WildCat. I didn't know the rye bread trick until a few years ago when one of DH's realtors brought it to a party. He also served it with thin sliced red onion. When DH makes it for us now, he gets it ground fresh from the butcher. That might be a nice snack for today ...

raw ground meat is quite common here in G..

we have ground pork, called "Mett", sometimes already seasoned "Thueringer Mett", the Thueringer is used for eating raw on bread, arranged with cubed onions..
we have ground beef and beef tartare - Tartare is usually arranged with a raw egg and capers
we have half-and-half, half beef, half pork, wich is mostly used for cooking..

why does that seem to be a kid thing I wonder....?

Because we did not know any better!!!! Heck, I remember trying to get the juices off the plate from a raw T bone my dad had seasoned. It was ooooohhh so yummy. It is a wonder we are not dead!!! :LOL:

I like it when it has just left being red but is still juicy. I hate it dry and because I cook professionally for others I don't want to take any chances.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom