Nearly Raw Hamburger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For flavor, I love raw hamburger, but don't eat it for obvious reasons. If I could get it irradiated by gama radiation, that would be great. It would be free from all the little nasties and safe to eat in that state. But I can't, and don't have any gamma emitters around, so I'm stuck cooking anything made with ground beef. Now that's not to say that a perfectly grilled, or pan-fried burger is not a great meal...

Out of a cookbook called "The World's 100 Greatest Recipes" comes a recipe for Luca Augen, or Luca Eyes. In consists of 1 lb. ground round, shaped into a square. A depression is made in the top of the raw ground beef and a raw egg is placed into it, yolk intact. Top this all with a tbs. of caviar and enjoy.

I don't think I could stomach that one.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I had raw ground beef many years ago in Germany served in a green pepper with several things on the side. Yummm!

Yea I think that would be too rich for me to GW, especially since I can't stand raw egg and not a big fan of caviar...

I like my burger medium rare but no more than medium. I hate it when they cook em up well done.. hockey pucks with cheese on em! LOL.

I don't like mine barely cooked.
The meat needs to be pink all the way through.

When I was little I would steal raw hamburger out of my Dad's bowl when he made something with it. Every time, loved it!
Now, if I see pink I want to barf. I'm trying to turn that around though..... my teeth may be getting old cuz chewing on shoe leather is no longer entertaining. :)

I must admitt I have always loved it rare, as a kid when I would cook dinner I would sneak bites of the raw ground beef with a bit of salt on it...yum! But as an adult I usually agree to medium rare. Although alot of restaurants these days will now alow it to be served under medium :( such a shame. its almost as bad as someone ordering filet minion well well done! uhg!

Usually, for a plain burger, I like mine heated just enough to sear the outside and warm the pink inside. Or, to use the old diner lingo, "drag it over the coals and let it moo once." :LOL:

Yeah, deelady - I'm another raw burger sampler. :ohmy:

Last edited:
Thunderstorm 73° » 5-day

Welcome, https://secure.nymag.com/accountcenter/edit-profile.cgi
You are not logged in

Skip to content, or skip to search.

Best of NY Sections Beauty Eating & Drinking Fun & Nightlife Home & Help Kids Shopping A to Z List By Neighborhood

Best Steak Tartare

• The Café at Country 90 Madison Ave., 212-889-7100

Geoffrey Zakarian isn’t the only chef in town who’s reinventing the great raw-beef classic (Gray Kunz serves a version at Café Gray, John LaFemina offers one at the Orchard). It’s just that Zakarian is doing it best. At the Café at Country, Zakarian and executive chef Doug Psaltis hand-chop organic beef tenderloin until it’s velvety smooth, then spice it with the unexpected addition of pickled chanterelles. A quail-egg yolk is nestled on top of the meat, and the dish is topped with a quenelle of crème fraîche and Dijon mustard. The whole savory, slippery deal is presented in a chilled Mason jar, for a nice rustic effect.

I like mine medium but if you want it barely cooked, if you grind it yourself (food processor works nicely) it shouldn't be a problem.

I cook mine medium rare these days,
But when I was a kid working at the slaughter house, we used to grind up top round, mix in raw onion, salt and pepper and eat it raw on rye bread.

I have ate raw hamburger as a kid.... loved it. Probably would not do it today. Anyhow, I like my burgers medium.

Back
Top Bottom