Need advice on roast timing please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jovin

Senior Cook
I'm doing an eye of round roast in the oven, and my neighbour told me to do it at 250 degrees, as she'd done one awhile ago (twice the size of mine though) and she said her company LOVED IT! :)

Now, I put this small one in at noon, :wacko: and I think it's too darned soon. :( She's gone to work, and I can't get any advice...HELP! We want to eat around 5:30 pm or 6 pm. This roast weighs 1.5 kg (3.3 lbs) and I'm doing it with a bit of olive oil on the bottom of the pan, and a small amount of water....halved an onion on top, put clove of garlic inside roast...salt, pepper, worcestershire sauce on top, and a crushed bay leave (she told me this is how she did hers.)

I'm to put potatoes and carrots in about an hour and a half (she said) before it's done.....PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW LONG I SHOULD BE COOKING THIS? Should I take it out for awhile now and put it back in later? :pig:
:LOL:
Jovin (who always needs help!)

If your oven is truly at 250 (have had ovens that vary significantly from the temperature they were set at, need an oven thermometer here) I think you will be fine.

HI, guys..

stinemates said:
Are you talking about 250c or 250f?

I guess it's F...regular oven temp control. I turned it off and took it out while I walked to the grocery store. I guess I'll put it back in now with some veggies.

The meat thermometer already read medium on the roast when I took it out.

you need to be very careful about using a low temperature when cooking meat, poultry, fish, etc. It will actually spoil in the oven on a low temperature if it is raw. 175F is warm/reheat on a gas stove and 100F is warm/reheat on an electric.
A medium size roast will take no longer than 2 1/2 hrs at 325F. You certainly did the right thing when you took it out of the oven. You can wrap it in foil to keep it warm and moist and cook your veggies in the pot with the meat juices. A single layer will not take too long.
Always check someone's tried/true recipe with a cookbook. If there is a big difference, go with the book.
Actually all this has made me hungry.

Medium would be 20 minutes a pound...but that would be at 350. An eye round has very little fat, so it doesn't really need to cook at such a low temperature for any great length of time. The purpose of long slow cooking is to allow the flesh to tenderize from the marbled fat throughout. An eye round I'd sear first, and then cook normally, 20 minutes per pound for medium.

Personally, I'm more of a 15 minute gal:brows:..but my avatar is a dead giveaway for that.

thank you all

for all your help. I did find the roast very dry, but my company was too polite too admit it.

I ended up boosting the temp to 350 because it was not going to br ready at the right time. We ate later than I wanted to, but all in all, we survived it.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd definitely do it your way, friends.....NEXT TIME!

Thanks so much for your help. I've learned my lesson today.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom