Need help cooking pot roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I usually just salt and pepper my roasts, then brown them in a big iron skillet, transfer the roast to a big pot with tight fitting lid, your roaster would be fine, and I layer the bottom with slices of onion. Just put the roast in and let it cook at 350 for an hour,then turn it down and let it cook slow at 225 degrees for a couple hours. I am assuming you have an electric oven. When you think it looks about done, you can also put potatoes, carrots around the roast and add some water so it will steam the veggies. If you want to save clean up time, just wrap it in aluminum foil, put in the roaster and bake the same way. I love roast. There are so many ways to use left overs. Some people like to just use Liption Onion Soup and pour over the top and bake, it is good as well. You can't go wrong. The longer it cooks slowly, the more tender it is. If you want to cook without onions, the roast will make juice in the bottom and you can make a great gravy to go over mashed potatoes or noodles.

Heat any pot big enough that has a lid, or you can use foil. Sear the meat on all side, and then remove.

Add olive oil to anything left in the pan, and sautee onions, carrots, celery and garlic cloves for about 8 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes and sautee for 5 more minutes. Return the meat to the pan, cover with any combination of water, broth and wine. Season to taste. Simmer for 3 hours. During the last hour, add quartered potatoes.

Okay, I see you don't have potatoes...I'll guess you omit them! Add the mushrooms with the other vegetables.

Make an apple rice pilaf to go with it.

absolutely! oniona and carrots, parsnips if ya got em, taters are great. Oven pot roast is a classic and it will be fab! (love mine with marjoram as the main herb!)

Thanks for the help.
:)

I see that this was moved.
Where did it get moved to?
And why did it get moved?

I don't know where it started, but it makes sense that it would be moved to the 'beef' topics room.

The admins like a neat and tidy board, nothing more, and surely nothing personal.

And I thought I replied but it either got deleted or something. Thought I had some good ideas too.

Ah, it was posted on another board. Here is what I suggested.

But first, can you not bone it out some way--cut around the bone and remove it.
You just have to bone it, I think.
But to return to what I was saying above, I would cook the meat separately--sear, then braise it covered with some onions, garlic, beef stock (in your pot that fits it--hopefully). Then I would add vegetables to PARTS of this.
You can remove some of the cooked beef for curry, use some for a pot roast with potatoes, carrots, etc. and even take some and shred it for a beef BBQ.

Last edited:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Hello,

I've done this both in the smoker and oven. Here goes:

1. Cover with olive oil and place in aluminum pan
2. Add spices of choice - I like koshier salt, black pepper, garlic salt, and char crust (does exactly what the name implies)
3. Bake at 225-250 until internal temp is around 175. This took me approx. 8 hours.
4. Cover with foil and cook at 275 for 2 hours.
5. Leave alone for at least an hour

I realize this take a long time, but it is unbelievably tender, juicy, and tasty. Hope it goes well for you!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
nstructions

1. Get a 4- or 5-pound piece of rump or round of beef.
  2. If not a solid, well-shaped piece, skewer it closely, and fasten in between the skewered parts small pieces of clean fat or marrow.
  3. Put 2 or 3 tablespoons of beef drippings in the kettle, or fry out slices of the fat, and when very hot, put in the beef and brown it, turning it on all sides so that it will be well and evenly browned.
  4. Add a cup of boiling water, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, and 1 tablespoon of vinegar.
  5. Cover the kettle closely and let it simmer three hours, adding water as often as necessary to keep it from burning, and keep about the same quantity in the kettle all the time.
  6. When done, remove the mat to a hot platter, and make a brown gravy of the liquor by stirring in a tablespoon of flour moistened and made smooth with a teaspoon of Worcester or a tablespoon of tomato catsup.
  7. Let it boil up, and serve in a gravy-boat.
  8. Meat cooked in this way can be reheated by putting in the kettle with just water enough to keep it from burning, covering closely, and giving it plenty of time to heat through, taking care that it does not scorch; or it is nice sliced thin and served cold for lunch or supper, with Worcestershire or sauce piquante.

Back
Top Bottom