Need help! Making my first standing rib roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is kind of off topic, but does anyone know why it's called a 'standing' rib roast? When I was reading this thread, I thought it was the cut of meat that has little crown papers on it, or something similar. I google'd it and it was prime rib w/ the bone. ??

I have been told it is because you are supposed to "stand" the roast on the bones to roast it. That way the fat cap moisturizes the meat.

Guessing it's cause it stands up & you probably don't want to cook it lying down :LOL: Actually, cook the "meat" standing up. Re Those paper thingees - think they're just for "show." Wonder where you buy them. No wonder I've never made this dish. It intimidates me for some reason.

Last edited:
I think we're mixing our terminology. Standing Rib Roast refers to a section of beef tenderloin, with the ribs attached. When taken from meat categorized as USDA Prime, then it becomes Prime Rib (I think).

On the other hand, the pork loin with the ribs attached is a prok tenderloin with the ribs attached. It can be roasted in many different configurations. When you wrap it into a ring, with the bones frenched and sticking upwards, it's a crown roast of pork. :mrgreen:

A rack of lamb can also be used to make a crown roast. :chef:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

My method...stick it in the oven, when it's done, take it out, let it rest & serve. If you want to slice it up into ribs, barbecue might be a way to cook it. Then it's not a standing rib roast. I think we're making it more complicated than it is. Alix, I'm going with your method.

Last edited:
Goodweed:

I Believe it's the pork loin, not the tenderloin.

Also, I think you could make a crown roast of beef if you had a big enough pan and an oven to put it in!:-p

Thanks Andy. You are correct. My Bad.
And Mish, it's all about the jargon. When I talk electronics, I use specific terms such as silicone controlled rectifier, or J-Fet transistor, or VLI microcircuits, or... By using correct terminology, or terms specific to the field of electronics, others in the field know what I'm talking about. In the same way, if we were in a store shopping together, and I had a particular meal in mind that required a flank steak, and you agreed to purchase it for the barbecue next Saturday, but you bought a chuck steak instead, it would mess things up.

Yep, as far as I know them, I try to use the jargon correctly, and if I think the people I'm with kon't know the correct terms, I'll try to use enough descriptive phrasing so that they understand.

On the other hand, too much jargon confuses the issue, and can create hard feelings, or the sense that the person using it is puttin on airs, or showing off. So there is a difference between using correct terminology when it's called for, and just tooting your own horn. I hope I'm not guilty of the latter, though I have been in times past.

'Tis a fine line to walk. And just maybe, I'm beating this dead horse too much :mrgreen:

I just can't help myself. It's both a genetic and learned trait for me. And believe me, my Dad was a know-it-all in the extreme, and my Mother insisted we use proper grammer, exercised proper etiquette at the table, etc., etc.

This is what my kids looked like after every "Dad" lecture.:rolleyes:

Just ask them. They all have horror stories of the hour and a half lectures from me over something that should have taken 5 minutes. It's a curse.

I'm going away now.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom