Need help with browning floured stew meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gary b

Cook
Hello,

I've been having problems trying to brown floured stew meat for stews or floured meat for Salisbury steak. The flour comes off the meat and sticks to the bottom of the pot then turns brown and burns??? I am using a SS dutch oven or frying pan on the stove top with some olive oil in the pan, the heat is medium or slightly past. I've also used vegetable oil with the same results.
thanks for the help. Gary

Try less heat. Some of the flour will stick and turn brown or dark brown. That's a good thing and it's called fond. Later in the stew-making process, you would deglaze the pan to dissolve the fond into the liquid.

Also, make sure the pot and the oil are both hot before you add the meat. Once you add the meat, a little at a time, leave it undisturbed to brown and form a crust. Then it will detach itself from the pan bottom, bringing the flour with it. If you try to move the meat while it's still stuck to the bottom, you will leave a lot behind and some of it will burn.

One thing we do that seems to work is to let the meat sit after we flour it.

We flour and then let the meat sit at room temp, or put it back in the fridge, for at least one half hour before cooking.

Absolutely agree with Andy's suggestions too.

I use a cast iron skillet to brown my stew meat. After you flour the meat add it to hot oil then turn heat down a little and do not disturbe the meat until it browns and then turn.

Andy is right on about not moving the meat until you're ready to turn it. I start mine off on high, then lower heat to medium high, and do not cover. It will smoke and splatter, but the flavor will be superb. When the meat is dark brown, deglaze with your liquid, cover, and let simmer.
I make mine in a big Magnalite stew pot...it's about the size of a Dutch oven, only taller.

Last edited:
after a pan or two, (don't let it burn) deglaze that browned flour etc with water broth or wine and pour into a bowl...add it back in to your stew once all is browned and sauteed. It's a natural thickener and has great flavor.

thanks for all these great tips, I'm gonna use em all. When i make stew i usually brown the meat but, i dont cook the meat completely thru at first. I make a gravy/sauce from pan drippings then add potatoes, carrots etc. and let the meat finish cooking thru with the rest of these items. Is this the best way to do it? The gravy is from flour, and the potato starch does some thickening too i think, b/c the finished stew has a potato starch flavor to it.
THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE FOR THE HELP WITH ALL MY QUESTIONS. THIS SITE AND THE FOLKS HERE ARE GREAT! Gary

auntdot said:
One thing we do that seems to work is to let the meat sit after we flour it.

We flour and then let the meat sit at room temp, or put it back in the fridge, for at least one half hour before cooking.

Absolutely agree with Andy's suggestions too.

That's a good technique and is commonly used by Chinese cooks when making meats/seafoods used for stir fries. The meat is marinated in a combination of egg white and cornstarch, and goes in the fridge for at least one hour. This prevents the cornstarch from sticking to the wok.

One thing too is that you may need to add more oil. You can discard any excess oil after you brown the meat and remove them from the pan.

Still having problems browning floured meat???

Hi everyone,

I have been using everyones suggestions of, adding more oil, making sure the pan and oil are hot before adding meat, and letting the floured meat sit a while before browning it, etc.

The first pieces of meat that go into the hot oil brown well, BUT when I'm ready to flip the meat or brown other pieces, the oil "goes away" (absorbed into the meat i think). When the oil "goes away" is when I start having trouble with the flour sticking to the pan bottom and making a burnt mess. I have been adding more and more oil as it disappears but I am getting oily meat and it still tends to burn the flour in the pan?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Gary

still having trouble browning floured meat.

Please see my post above.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks very much!
Gary

Maybe your pan isn't hot enough? If the flour is absorbing the oil, this may be your problem. After your pan is heated, try taking a pinch of just flour and 'throw' it in the oil; if it sizzles, your oil/pan are hot enough.

My only other suggestion would be to make sure you're not crowding the pan, making it longer for the meat to brown, and thus burn on the bottom.

much thanks marmalady,

I'll check the heat by "throwing" a pinch of flour.

Back
Top Bottom