Need recipe help for not so great filet mignon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sue perry

Assistant Cook
So my local grocer usually sells awesome filet in the meat case. They were having a sale for a whole tenderloin in the bag- cut to order. I had cut Into med filets and brought home . Grilled as we always do. Meat was spit out too tough! I carefully double wrapped and froze all filets for another day. How can I use them ? Grilling and serving alone not an option, meat too tough . What would you do to salvage investment . Need all ideas/ recipes please?

First of all, there is very little gristle in a tenderloin so I'd try another steak. Second, take it back tenderloin on sale is still an expensive cut and should be right.

Ok all thanks but taking back not an option, triple wrapped and stored before I ate the first meal, any more options please? A healthy fajita style taco?

1. Partially thaw and cut into very thin medallions. Make thin burger patties and place your fillet medallions on the outside. Cook as sizzlers.

2. Cook to medium rare, or rare. Thinly bias-slice against the grain and use in pita pocket sandwiches with bean sprouts, avacado, and tomato.

3. Cut into thin strips and place into a slurry of water, soy sauce, onion, peppers, and a little vinegar, and cornstarch. let sit for 15 mintues, then poach in hot (not boiling) water, or 335 degree cooking oil just until the cornstarch coating turns opaque. Use in stir fries.

4. Cook for 15 minutes in a pressure cooker, and serve with mashed potatoes and a good mushroom gravy made from the meat drippings.

That should at least give you some ideas. Take any of the above ideas and use them to make salads, or a topping for pizza, or be creative and make rouladen with any filling you choose.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Partially freeze them. Slice thinly and use for stir-fry or fajitas, which was already mentioned.

Aaron McCargo Jr (Big Daddy's House on food Network) makes a Sloppy Joe "Burger", using beef tenderloin. I use the recipe with ground sirloin and its very tasty. Or you can make carpaccio.

Last edited:
I would take them back. You should get what you pay for. Most stores will accommodate you.

Ok all thanks but taking back not an option, triple wrapped and stored before I ate the first meal, any more options please? A healthy fajita style taco?

So? Take back all of the wrapped steaks and ask for a refund or exchange.

If you don't speak up, your grocer has no idea you were not satisfied.
So, you must do whats right. Call first if that makes you feel better and explain. But under no circumstance are you stuck with this inferior product.

BTW....How did you cook these steaks? Rare? Well done?
Even well done, a tenderloin should still be tender.

I'm with Bones. Wrapped or not I'd take them back. If you did indeed cook them the same way as other tenderloins you've bought there and they were tough this time, something is wrong.
On the other hand, I'll buy strip steaks in loin form if I can see the marbling well enough, but the tenderloins my local store gets for 6.99/lb or whatever they are charging look horrible. I won't buy them because I have no doubt I would get very few nice steaks out of it. For my money the strips are a better deal. They are a nicer *cheap* sale price steak.
And I've seen enough of the store's packaged strip steaks and whole loins that I've cut that tells me if they are using the same loins, they are hand picking them for marbling. I cut them on the thin side (1/2") so they don't have to spend a lot of time on the heat. When it comes to steaks you tend to get what you pay for and need to plan accordingly.

If you have a grinder you could make them into nice burgers.
Add a little bacon to the grind if you'd like to add some fat & flavor.
If you don't have a grinder you can mince them with a knife for burgers. It's a lot of work but the results are really good. Kind of a cross between a steak sandwich and a burger.

Or.

Cut into cubes.

Flour with salt & pepper.

Brown in pan.

Toss in a Crock Pot or Regular Pot with,
Lg. Diced Carrots
Lg. Diced Onions
Lg. Diced Celery
Lg. Diced Taters
Mushrooms

Season with S&P and if you like Bay Leaves and Thyme.

Add a nice Red Wine.

Cook on low until It's done to your taste.

Back
Top Bottom