"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 01-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Need recipe help for not so great filet mignon

So my local grocer usually sells awesome filet in the meat case. They were having a sale for a whole tenderloin in the bag- cut to order. I had cut Into med filets and brought home . Grilled as we always do. Meat was spit out too tough! I carefully double wrapped and froze all filets for another day. How can I use them ? Grilling and serving alone not an option, meat too tough . What would you do to salvage investment . Need all ideas/ recipes please?

Old 01-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
Head Chef

I would take them back. You should get what you pay for. Most stores will accommodate you.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
Sous Chef

You could use a jaccard on the meat it should help.
Worst case just slice it all thinly for stir fry.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

First of all, there is very little gristle in a tenderloin so I'd try another steak. Second, take it back tenderloin on sale is still an expensive cut and should be right.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Ok all thanks but taking back not an option, triple wrapped and stored before I ate the first meal, any more options please? A healthy fajita style taco?
Old 01-02-2014, 12:36 PM   #6
Master Chef

1. Partially thaw and cut into very thin medallions. Make thin burger patties and place your fillet medallions on the outside. Cook as sizzlers.

2. Cook to medium rare, or rare. Thinly bias-slice against the grain and use in pita pocket sandwiches with bean sprouts, avacado, and tomato.

3. Cut into thin strips and place into a slurry of water, soy sauce, onion, peppers, and a little vinegar, and cornstarch. let sit for 15 mintues, then poach in hot (not boiling) water, or 335 degree cooking oil just until the cornstarch coating turns opaque. Use in stir fries.

4. Cook for 15 minutes in a pressure cooker, and serve with mashed potatoes and a good mushroom gravy made from the meat drippings.

That should at least give you some ideas. Take any of the above ideas and use them to make salads, or a topping for pizza, or be creative and make rouladen with any filling you choose.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:51 PM   #7
Head Chef

Partially freeze them. Slice thinly and use for stir-fry or fajitas, which was already mentioned.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Aaron McCargo Jr (Big Daddy's House on food Network) makes a Sloppy Joe "Burger", using beef tenderloin. I use the recipe with ground sirloin and its very tasty. Or you can make carpaccio.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
I would take them back. You should get what you pay for. Most stores will accommodate you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue perry View Post
Ok all thanks but taking back not an option, triple wrapped and stored before I ate the first meal, any more options please? A healthy fajita style taco?
So? Take back all of the wrapped steaks and ask for a refund or exchange.

If you don't speak up, your grocer has no idea you were not satisfied.
So, you must do whats right. Call first if that makes you feel better and explain. But under no circumstance are you stuck with this inferior product.

BTW....How did you cook these steaks? Rare? Well done?
Even well done, a tenderloin should still be tender.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm with Bones. Wrapped or not I'd take them back. If you did indeed cook them the same way as other tenderloins you've bought there and they were tough this time, something is wrong.
On the other hand, I'll buy strip steaks in loin form if I can see the marbling well enough, but the tenderloins my local store gets for 6.99/lb or whatever they are charging look horrible. I won't buy them because I have no doubt I would get very few nice steaks out of it. For my money the strips are a better deal. They are a nicer *cheap* sale price steak.
And I've seen enough of the store's packaged strip steaks and whole loins that I've cut that tells me if they are using the same loins, they are hand picking them for marbling. I cut them on the thin side (1/2") so they don't have to spend a lot of time on the heat. When it comes to steaks you tend to get what you pay for and need to plan accordingly.

Tags
filet mignon, recipe

Need recipe help for not so great filet mignon So my local grocer usually sells awesome filet in the meat case. They were having a sale for a whole tenderloin in the bag- cut to order. I had cut Into med filets and brought home . Grilled as we always do. Meat was spit out too tough! I carefully double wrapped and froze all filets for another day. How can I use them ? Grilling and serving alone not an option, meat too tough . What would you do to salvage investment . Need all ideas/ recipes please? 3 stars 1 reviews