New York Strips w/ Wine Reduction?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
Hey guys. Going to make a couple of kobe strips tonight, and want to use my new deglazing technique :chef:

Here is what i have so far for the reduction/sauce

Shallots
Sliced Mushrooms
Beef Stock
Pinot Noir
Garlic

I also would like to add a fresh herb to this sauce.

What would be a good herb for this?

I'm serving these steaks with new potatoes roasted with rosemary and olive oil.

oh, a key question -

At what point should i add these sliced mushrooms to this sauce?

If i didn't have the mushrooms, i would do it in this order.

First throw shallots into hot pan, let them get aromatic. then toss in garlic, let it get a little aromatic. then i would throw in the red wine and scrape up the fond. then i would add beef stock give it a good stir and let it reduce.

Where do the shrooms fit in all of this?

Cheers

i would throw the garlic and onions in at the same time, but that is just me. Next would be the mushrooms. they will give off some liquid and you can use that to start deglazing the pan. The go for the wine and then stock.

You have been eating a lot of Kobe. Did you hit the lottery or something :LOL:

The mushrooms go in with the shallots.

You could use rosemary since you have that flavor in the potatoes. You could also use thyme. That goes well with beef.

Also, I'd reduce the wine before adding the broth.

thanks guys

eating the kobe keeps me from going out to expensive restaurants.

it's not actual japanese kobe beef..it's kobe beef america. It is FANTASTIC. Awesome value.... it is clearly better than USDA prime.

I pay 30-40 dollars a pound for it.

i can make a meal at home for 50 bucks that would cost well over a hundred in a fancy restaurant...

i indulge on average about once a week.

Mylegsbig said:
thanks guys

eating the kobe keeps me from going out to expensive restaurants.

it's not actual japanese kobe beef..it's kobe beef america. It is FANTASTIC. Awesome value.... it is clearly better than USDA prime.

I pay 30-40 dollars a pound for it.

i can make a meal at home for 50 bucks that would cost well over a hundred in a fancy restaurant...

i indulge on average about once a week.
Yikes...sometimes I don't have $50.00 for groceries every week.

Please send me leftovers on dry ice, priority mail!!!:)

GB - i throw the garlic in last because i have had bad experiences with garlic burning. I am paranoid/cautious about turning garlic bitter. If i drench some sauce over these steaks with bitter garlic i could potentially be out of alot of cash

better safe than sorry, imo

Erik, the way i see it is this.

Say you go out on friday night , dinner for 2. with tax, tips, and drinks, for 50 dollars, you are going to get a mediocre meal at best (Of course unless it's some little hole in the wall favorite of yours)

if i shell out 50 and do it myself, i can make an extraordinary meal

no brainer, imo

Beyond that, the lesson in your last few threads is that a basic pan searing process and pan sauce that comes from it are versatile tools to add to your arsenal of cooking information. Now you've created 4 or 5 different dishes using this process.

Andy M. said:
The mushrooms go in with the shallots.

You could use rosemary since you have that flavor in the potatoes. You could also use thyme. That goes well with beef.

Also, I'd reduce the wine before adding the broth.

thanks mate. im gonna use thyme, i've never used fresh thyme before.

Around how much should i use and how should i prepare it? ie crushed, minced, etc

gonna be using it on 2 8 oz steaks.

Mylegsbig said:
GB - i throw the garlic in last because i have had bad experiences with garlic burning. I am paranoid/cautious about turning garlic bitter. If i drench some sauce over these steaks with bitter garlic i could potentially be out of alot of cash

better safe than sorry, imo
That is why I said to put them in with the shallots. The shallots will help take away some of the heat. You would only need to cook them for a few seconds (maybe 30) to release the flavor.

I know what you are saying though. I have burned my fair share of garlic and you are right, it can ruin a dish. By all means, put it in after the fact if you are nervous about it burning.

When you are cooking something less expensive try putting the garlic in first so that you can learn how to walk that fine line. It will help you greatly with your cooking skills.

Back
Top Bottom