"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 06-06-2005, 09:30 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Not Your Traditional Shepherds Pie TNT

When I first got my computer I printed most everything underlined and in caps. This was in our local paper some years ago and is very good.

SHEPHERDS PIE

3 tablespoons oil

3 onions, finely chopped

3 garlic cloves, finely chopped

1 1/2 pound lean ground beef

1 (14 1/2 ounce) whole peeled tomatoes

1/2 small can tomato paste

2 bouillon cubes

1 heaping tablespoon flour

1 cup white wine

3/4 cup water

salt and pepper to taste

3 large potatoes

3 ounces butter

1 cup milk

Salt and pepper to taste

3 carrots

2 tablespoon grated cheese

HEAT 3 TABLESPOONS OF OIL IN A LARGE FRYING PAN OVER LOW HEAT. ADD 3 FINELY CHOPPED MEDIUM ONIONS AND 3 FINELY CHOPPED GARLIC CLOVES. COOK UNTIL SOFT. TURN UP HEAT AND ADD 1 POUNDS GROUND BEEF OR GROUND LAMB, STIRRING UNTIL IT IS WELL BROWNED.

DRAIN OFF FAT AND ADD 1-14 OUNCE CAN OF TOMATOES, AND SMALL CAN TOMATO PASTE TO THE PAN ALONG WITH 2 BOUILLON CUBES AND 1 HEAPING TABLESPOON FLOUR. MIX WELL AND COOK FOR A MINUTE BEFORE ADDING 1 CUP WHITE WINE AND 3/4 CUP WATER. SEASON WELL WITH SALT AND PEPPER AND ADD TEASPOON TARRAGON. (OPTIONAL) SIMMER GENTLY FOR 15 MINUTES.

MEANWHILE PEEL COOK AND MASH 3 LARGE POTATOES. ADD 3 OUNCES BUTTER AND 1 CUP MILK TO POTATOES AND SEASON WITH SALT AND PEPPER.

ALSO PEEL AND SLICE 3 CARROTS AND COOK IN SMALL AMOUNT OF BOILING WATER.

PUT THE MEAT MIXTURE IN A LARGE WELL-GREASED SOUFFL OR BAKING DISH. SPREAD CARROTS OVER MEAT AND PUT THE MASHED POTATOES ON TOP, COMPLETELY COVERING THE MEAT AND CARROTS. SPRINKLE 2 TABLESPOONS GRATED PARMESAN OR ROMANO CHEESES OVER THE POTATOES AND BAKE UNCOVERED FOR 35 MINUTES IN 375 F. OVEN. PLACE UNDER THE BROILER FOR A FEW MINUTES TO BROWN THE TOP.

Old 06-06-2005, 12:38 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
This would taste so good on an
icy colds winter night! THanks!

Old 06-06-2005, 02:35 PM   #3
Senior Cook

It would, but we never have icy weather so we let the air conditioner take over and just cook whatever, whenever.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:40 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We don't get a lot of icy weather in Seattle either.. but, we do have our share of cold nights during the winter months.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:11 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I love Seattle, only been there a couple of times but what a great city. The market fasinated me and I remember wanting one of the big bunches of fresh flowers but knew I couldn't take them on the plane with me. *sigh* We went whale watching and saw bunches of them and took a sea plane to Victoria. Waaa I want to go back.

Tags
None