"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 01-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Sorry to hear, Satie, that you hate to agree with me
Seriously, Whimpy (the hamburger eating cartoon character) would likely be insulted if he were mentioned in the same breath as Omaha Steaks.

Nah, don't hate to agree with you, but hate having to say that I think their product is inferior. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I just think there is better stuff out there to buy!

Old 01-01-2009, 01:59 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I ordered some Kansas City steakburgers. They had a special and I thought I would give them a try. Haven't tried them yet, but I will provide feedback when I do.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:27 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardge View Post
Can someone please post up a review? I've been given $90 in Omaha Steak gift cards for Christmas and I would like to hear from those of you who have used this company's products before I make a purchase.

To be honest, I find their lack of meat grading a little weird. I can't find the words "Prime" or "Choice" or "Certified Angus Beef" anywhere in any of their pamphlets or web pages I have looked on. They definitely have USDA Prime prices, but nothing is labeled or sold as such. This leads me to believe they they are NOT prime.

RJ
It's not prime meat, and probably not up to the standard you've come to expect from your local butcher. But in the interest of helping you get the most from your gift, maybe you could watch for combo deals and Google for online reviews of what people have enjoyed (or more importantly, avoid what they post they have not enjoyed) from Omaha. I think all companies have ups and downs. I receive a ham gift every year and we all look forward to it, and this year it was so salty it was inedible. But I can't discount the past 15 years of wonderful ham. I know the folks over at fatwallet don't have much good to say about Omaha, but others will concede that a few items are worthy. Before you blow that gift certificate, just take your time to really research your options. Every now and then they bundle items in very attractive packages and you can really do quite well!! The sides and desserts are just mass produced fluff, so I wouldn't blow my gift certificates on those!

I guess I wasn't much help, was I? Do the fatwallet search and see what you find ... it will be enlightening. Can I post a link to the site or is that a no-no?
Old 01-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
A hundred years ago when Buck and I got married, someone gave us some Omaha steaks as a wedding gift. They were very disappointing. We could purchase better quality steaks at our local chain grocery store. We ate the Omaha steaks but never had the desire to order anything from them after our experience.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
I know it wouldn't be my my first choice either, but I don't want the poor guy not to use his gift ... anybody have feedback on something they didn't mind eating?
Old 01-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSeccia View Post
I know it wouldn't be my my first choice either, but I don't want the poor guy not to use his gift ... anybody have feedback on something they didn't mind eating?

You are right AMS... I wished I could remember something that I got from there that I liked. But nothing really stands out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
A hundred years ago when Buck and I got married
Old 01-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Location: USA - Chicago, Illinois ~ On a windy day, I can almost get a frisbee to Midway Airport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
We received Omaha Steaks for a Christmas gift...2 NY Strips and 2 Fillet Mignon...as well as a gourmet dessert. We grilled the strip steaks a couple nights ago, and found them to be excellent in flavor and tenderness. Not sure what the grading was, just know they were darn tasty.

Oh, and don't give up on your local butcher quite yet. He made an error on judgment, and torturing him is not going to get you anywhere other than looking for another butcher. I sense more than a little anger in your writing, and if you communicated with me that way, I'd probably ignore you as well. Nobody is perfect, and if this is the only time he's not delivered as expected, then you should cut him a little slack. Unless, of course, you have never done anything less than perfect yourself, in which case you are entitled to a certain amount of self-righteous indignation. It's only a piece of meat...
You'd ignore me as well??? Where do you get off saying that?

Do me a favor. Let me know if you currently own or plan to own a business that sells anything to consumers. I'll make sure I don't do business with you. I don't want to order a movie or CD from you and be sent pants or shoes instead.

See my point?

I bought an expensive item off of a reputable high-end steak and chop website, based in Chicago. The "piece of meat" in question are 2 steaks costing nearly 70 dollars. My entire order was well over 200 dollars. Since my order, the items in question are now listed as out of stock. However, they were available when I ordered. Something else was sent in its place without my knowledge or consultation. That is not acceptable in my opinion. I was not given the opportunity to choose the replacement item or cancel the item all together. My phone calls and emails to this company have been professional in nature, just as this reply is. Am I mad? Yes. I have a right to be. The fact that I am being ignored is making me even more angry.

RJ
Old 01-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #18
Executive Chef

They are certainly good quality, but not unique. The packing and shipping costs are high, and I can get great beef right here where I am.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:47 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Location: USA - Chicago, Illinois ~ On a windy day, I can almost get a frisbee to Midway Airport.
Thanks for all the reviews on Omaha Steaks. I guess I will just have to try and see for myself to truly know. Gift cards rock.

Happy New Year everyone.

RJ
Old 01-01-2009, 04:28 PM   #20
Senior Cook

I received a gift card for them last year and was very unimpressed with their meat. Just get some nice desserts!

sydfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None