"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 01-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #21
Executive Chef

It's still a gift card so I would go with your favorite cut of meat I have had their crab legs and they were just fine since I can't get crab out here any way.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #22
Head Chef

Last year I received a gift box with filets, burgers, potatoes and a chocolate cake. I enjoyed the gift very much. I thought the quality was fine but portions were small Like others here, I have fine butchers near me to buy meat from. I say enjoy your gift.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #23
Senior Cook

As a gift it would be fine. As a way to buy meat over priced for the value, local purchase where you can see what you are getting is a much better way to go.

Jim
Old 01-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #24
Head Chef

Let's get back on topic: Omaha Steak
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion whether they like their products or not. And, if one has never tried it, one cannot know based upon what someone else likes. Taste is subjective. For example. lots of folks love to drink fine scotch but I think it tastes like battery acid.
Enjoy your gift card in the spirit it was given you. Hopefully, you will have a lovely experience and I am certain that the gifter intended such.

Edited to add:
I would probably buy the private reserve steaks. I also noticed that they have an unconditional money back guarantee, so what have you got to lose? Buy the best they have and make sure to prepare them well. Enjoy!!!
Old 01-01-2009, 11:04 PM   #25
Senior Cook

I ordered steaks from them once. They were of average quality and I wasn't impressed. I emailed them to tell them of my disappointment and they were very nice. They offered to send me a replacement order for free but I didn't take them up on it.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:19 AM   #26
Senior Cook

I have a friend who ordered from them once, and she said their products were not the best, and that she could get better from her grocery store. That's all I know about them, Dad gives us good meat from a neighbor.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:58 AM   #27
Cook

I have had their steaks on a few occasions. I have never been disappointed, but they are way overpriced. I stick to buying from my restaurant where I know my purveyor's grading is certified and the product is aged.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:56 PM   #28
Executive Chef

I agree with PieSusan. I have not tried Omaha's products. Money is tight for us, so for me to "splurge", is to get some Sirloin steaks, hopefully USDA Choice, but probably USDA Select.

I also agree with Chefnaterock. If I really wanted to "splurge", I'd just talk to the vendor that sells us most of our beef at work, and buy a USDA Choice striploin and cut my own NY Strips.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #29
Head Chef

When I was working ( I owned several retail shops) one of my vendors gave me a gift certificate to Omaha Steaks. I would never have purchased the product myself because I figured the cost of their "package" and was astounded at how much I would be paying per lpound.
I used the gift certificate and found the steaks and the rest of the meat to be of a much lower quality and taste then I could get at my local butcher. The cost of shipping is extremely high but we have an Omaha shop one mile from my house. This is definitely not Prime grade meat and they don't tell you that it is. Not worth the money and I want to SEE my meats before I purchase them. I wouldn't accept a substitute either. I don't blame Ardge for being upset.

Use your gift card and enjoy whatever you get since it's a freebie.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #30
Head Chef

Ardge, you received a gift. Either you will like it or not. It is no different than any other gift that someone may give you. Be grateful that you were thought of, if you do not like it you will have learned something--that you don't like Omaha Steaks and you won't ever have to purchase something from them again but that is not your giftor's fault. I assume the person was trying to please you. I really do not understand why you are so upset that someone gave you a generous gift certificate.

Tags
None