Omaha Steak Company...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:) It's still a gift card so I would go with your favorite cut of meat I have had their crab legs and they were just fine since I can't get crab out here any way.

Last year I received a gift box with filets, burgers, potatoes and a chocolate cake. I enjoyed the gift very much. I thought the quality was fine but portions were small:pig: Like others here, I have fine butchers near me to buy meat from. I say enjoy your gift.

As a gift it would be fine. As a way to buy meat over priced for the value, local purchase where you can see what you are getting is a much better way to go.

Jim

Let's get back on topic: Omaha Steak
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion whether they like their products or not. And, if one has never tried it, one cannot know based upon what someone else likes. Taste is subjective. For example. lots of folks love to drink fine scotch but I think it tastes like battery acid.
Enjoy your gift card in the spirit it was given you. Hopefully, you will have a lovely experience and I am certain that the gifter intended such.

Edited to add:
I would probably buy the private reserve steaks. I also noticed that they have an unconditional money back guarantee, so what have you got to lose? Buy the best they have and make sure to prepare them well. Enjoy!!!

I ordered steaks from them once. They were of average quality and I wasn't impressed. I emailed them to tell them of my disappointment and they were very nice. They offered to send me a replacement order for free but I didn't take them up on it.

I have a friend who ordered from them once, and she said their products were not the best, and that she could get better from her grocery store. That's all I know about them, Dad gives us good meat from a neighbor.

I have had their steaks on a few occasions. I have never been disappointed, but they are way overpriced. I stick to buying from my restaurant where I know my purveyor's grading is certified and the product is aged.

I agree with PieSusan. I have not tried Omaha's products. Money is tight for us, so for me to "splurge", is to get some Sirloin steaks, hopefully USDA Choice, but probably USDA Select.

I also agree with Chefnaterock. If I really wanted to "splurge", I'd just talk to the vendor that sells us most of our beef at work, and buy a USDA Choice striploin and cut my own NY Strips.

When I was working ( I owned several retail shops) one of my vendors gave me a gift certificate to Omaha Steaks. I would never have purchased the product myself because I figured the cost of their "package" and was astounded at how much I would be paying per lpound.
I used the gift certificate and found the steaks and the rest of the meat to be of a much lower quality and taste then I could get at my local butcher. The cost of shipping is extremely high but we have an Omaha shop one mile from my house. This is definitely not Prime grade meat and they don't tell you that it is. Not worth the money and I want to SEE my meats before I purchase them. I wouldn't accept a substitute either. I don't blame Ardge for being upset.

Use your gift card and enjoy whatever you get since it's a freebie.

Ardge, you received a gift. Either you will like it or not. It is no different than any other gift that someone may give you. Be grateful that you were thought of, if you do not like it you will have learned something--that you don't like Omaha Steaks and you won't ever have to purchase something from them again but that is not your giftor's fault. I assume the person was trying to please you. I really do not understand why you are so upset that someone gave you a generous gift certificate.

Ardge, you received a gift. Either you will like it or not. It is no different than any other gift that someone may give you. Be grateful that you were thought of, if you do not like it you will have learned something--that you don't like Omaha Steaks and you won't ever have to purchase something from them again but that is not your giftor's fault. I assume the person was trying to please you. I really do not understand why you are so upset that someone gave you a generous gift certificate.

PieSusan, I don't see where he's upset over getting a gift card, I got it that he is upset about the company he used to deal with when they substituted an item he didn't want. Did I get it right?

Susan, I think you may have misread something...Ardge isn't complaining about his gift certificate. He is merely asking for recommendations on what to buy.

Kitchenelf, now I am confused. Why assume Omaha Steak would make a substitution if one hasn't done business with them? Could it be Ardge has not gotten a reply via email because they have been flooded over Christmas and New Years? It is a common foodie gift. Further, if it has been said that they really do stand by their money back guarantee so really what does Ardge have to lose, especially when it is a gift certificate?

You misread the post Susan. His complaint is about a local butcher/company, not Omaha Steaks. He bought a gift for a friend from a local butcher, whom he had done business with on a regular basis. The LOCAL butcher made a substitution (not Omaha Steaks) without advising him of such.

He loves his Omaha Steak gift certificate - he just wants to spend it wisely.

Last edited:
You'd ignore me as well??? Where do you get off saying that?

Do me a favor. Let me know if you currently own or plan to own a business that sells anything to consumers. I'll make sure I don't do business with you. I don't want to order a movie or CD from you and be sent pants or shoes instead.

See my point?

I bought an expensive item off of a reputable high-end steak and chop website, based in Chicago. The "piece of meat" in question are 2 steaks costing nearly 70 dollars. My entire order was well over 200 dollars. Since my order, the items in question are now listed as out of stock. However, they were available when I ordered. Something else was sent in its place without my knowledge or consultation. That is not acceptable in my opinion. I was not given the opportunity to choose the replacement item or cancel the item all together. My phone calls and emails to this company have been professional in nature, just as this reply is. Am I mad? Yes. I have a right to be. The fact that I am being ignored is making me even more angry.

RJ

good for you. you have every reason to be angry. even if you paid nothing, they did not live up to their part of the retail agreement. i think companys should fufill their promise of good customer service. a mistake can happen, they need to correct it promptly. to many of us are passive about these things, and they get away with it.

good for you. you have every reason to be angry. even if you paid nothing, they did not live up to their part of the retail agreement. i think companys should fufill their promise of good customer service. a mistake can happen, they need to correct it promptly. to many of us are passive about these things, and they get away with it.

I think you missed it too babetoo. It's not Omaha Steak that made this mistake - it was a local business.

Ardge's post cannot be skimmed over - if you skim you will miss the part about the LOCAL business making this mistake.

Fine, kitchenelf. If I misread the thread I am sorry but that is not what I understood. I hope that Ardge has a wonderful experience and enjoys his present.

I understand you misread it Susan and you were not the only one. So many were implying Ardge was being ungrateful about his gift certificate - he wasn't. He was far from it. It was a simple error in misreading his initial post.

As for Omaha Steaks GC: I would not buy their product outright, but with that much in gift certificates I would order the best they had and have at it, LOL! Nothing to loose, and they have a money back guarantee.

As for your local meat packer: There are plenty of good butchers in the Chicago area, I prefer the local neighborhood small mom and pop butcher shops myself. If they can't fix the problem to your satisfaction, move on. I would. After all, it is not my fault they could not full full their retail contract with me.

When I first moved to Chicago, I thought the steaks at the local finer grocery stores were great. Then a friend got us an Omaha Steak certificate, I liked them and thought them marginally better than what I was getting in the finer grocery stores, but without a GC too expensive to be worthwhile. Then another friend introduced me to a local butcher shop. WOW. Never looked back.

So, as you can see, it really does depend on your experiences. I think, personally, given the information you have provided you will find them overpriced and not as good as what you are used to. But again, it is a GC so take it in the spirit it was given and have at it!!

Back
Top Bottom