"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #11
Head Chef

Thanks GG. Again, I never thought of slicing them that thick. Guess I was worried about how long they would take to cook. But obviously it works! I'll give it a try. Think I have small skewers that wouldn't rip them apart but I do have wooden skewers.

Thanks again!

hmm, cool side of the grill, right?

Old 09-21-2017, 12:29 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I think burgers from Krystal are dehydrated and then soaked in water. They put that on the burgers. So it s semi raw.
Seems McDonalds does the same. Dehydrated then hydrated before using.

Buy some onion flakes and hydrate them. I bet they will be very close.

Oh.....I love Krystal burgers. I get 5 each time. No fries.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:37 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Only in America do we try to make our fresh home cooked food taste like it came from a fast food restaurant!!!

I think it has more to do with the hobby aspect of cooking, trying to replicate recipes, whether they're fast-food or gourmet meals. We even try to replicate McDonald's French fries.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:55 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
We even try to replicate McDonald's French fries.
yech!!! patouiee! who would even want to? Now if you hve ever experienced Montreal's own "LaFleurs"... you would know what a REAL french fry tastes like. Ask any ex-patriot what they miss most about home in Montreal and the answer will be... Lafleurs french fries!
Old 09-21-2017, 01:16 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Thanks GG. Again, I never thought of slicing them that thick. Guess I was worried about how long they would take to cook. But obviously it works! I'll give it a try. Think I have small skewers that wouldn't rip them apart but I do have wooden skewers.

Thanks again!

hmm, cool side of the grill, right?
I usually make them when I'm also grilling bell peppers. I do them over a low flame (gas grill) and turn them over and around so they cook evenly. It takes about 10-15 minutes. I don't put onions on my burgers, so I usually chop these up with the peppers to add to a pasta salad. So it doesn't matter to me how thick they are.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:17 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
yech!!! patouiee! who would even want to? Now if you hve ever experienced Montreal's own "LaFleurs"... you would know what a REAL french fry tastes like. Ask any ex-patriot what they miss most about home in Montreal and the answer will be... Lafleurs french fries!
Because some people like them Not everything has to be the best of the best all the time.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:58 PM   #17
Head Chef

Very true GG - I never actually ate fries all that much but I do like them... from just about anywhere but McD's, Harvey's are not at the top of the list. But theirs would be good, as would anybody's, in a poutine!

Also I might just serve those onions as is on the side. Yummy! If this weather keeps up I'll be trying them soon.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:03 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm going to be grilling some onions and peppers today for an Israeli couscous salad for tonight. I'll post a picture later.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:06 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I think it has more to do with the hobby aspect of cooking, trying to replicate recipes, whether they're fast-food or gourmet meals. We even try to replicate McDonald's French fries.
Quote:
Sorry to disagree, but I love McDonald's fries when they are fresh out of the fryer (so hot that it hurts your teeth to bite into the first couple). I usually only go to a Mickey D's during busy times to ensure that I get fresh fries. I've actually been known to get a burger from somewhere else, then go down the street to McDonald's for the fries to go with it.

I would say that one of my favorites is the local restaurant here in town. They do a really good job with the fries too, but outside of maybe a 50 mile radius, nobody ever heard of them, so I wouldn't try to use that as a yardstick for comparison.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:07 PM   #20
Head Chef

Yes please! GG! Love Israel couscous and I bet with the peppers and onion it's perfect! Recipe please!

Israeli couscous is not always available here, you have to look for it. It is just starting to become more popular. I really like it - there are so many dishes it is well suited for.

Tags
ham, hamburger, onion, onions