Onions and hamburgers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
Lately, in my attempt to make a burger chain type cheesburger, everything is ok, except my onion slices added. They are overly crunchy and sharp tasting.

When I buy a drive thru burger, the onion slices aren't that sharp tasting or crunchy. Mine are. They don't fry them, they are just right.

I buy brown or yellow onions at my supermarket. When I bite into my burger, the onion slices are too sharp tasting and overly crunchy.

Besides using red onions, I don't know why they are overly crunchy and too sharp tasting. Besides having to saute them.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that major burger chains contract out for their own proprietary onions. The same with pickles.

Last edited:
Or the restaurants pour hot water over sliced onions to remove some of the sharp taste and wilt the onion slices. I've done a cold-water soak to take some sharp flavor out, but I've also done the boiling water to limp them up.

Only in America do we try to make our fresh home cooked food taste like it came from a fast food restaurant!!! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I think that some burger chains use prepackaged precut onions that have spent a week or two sealed in a plastic bag.

Try cutting your onions in the morning or the day before, rinsing them under cold running water, pat dry, place in a plastic bag or container with a tight fitting lid and refrigerate until burger time.

Or the restaurants pour hot water over sliced onions to remove some of the sharp taste and wilt the onion slices. I've done a cold-water soak to take some sharp flavor out, but I've also done the boiling water to limp them up.

I've often done the cold water but it never occurred to me to use boiling water.

Thanks for the tip!

Slice the onion thinner.
Use sweet onions.
Cook the onions.

I used to use sliced onions until our granddaughter moved in. She likes sautéed onions so now she has learned to sauté onions for when we have burgers.

Slice the onion thinner.
Use sweet onions.
Cook the onions.

I used to use sliced onions until our granddaughter moved in. She likes sautéed onions so now she has learned to sauté onions for when we have burgers.
Andy, when you're grilling the burgers, suggest to your granddaughter that she try a grilled slice of onion. I don't like raw onions, but grilled ones are delicious.

I leave the skin on and slice them about 3/4 inch thick. I have a set of metal skewers I use to keep them from falling apart as they cook (there's a teaspoon, for scale). I found them years ago at a local kitchen store. Toothpicks or small bamboo skewers might also work.
0921171050.jpg

Thanks GG. Again, I never thought of slicing them that thick. Guess I was worried about how long they would take to cook. But obviously it works! I'll give it a try. Think I have small skewers that wouldn't rip them apart but I do have wooden skewers.

Thanks again!

hmm, cool side of the grill, right? :rolleyes:

I think burgers from Krystal are dehydrated and then soaked in water. They put that on the burgers. So it s semi raw.
Seems McDonalds does the same. Dehydrated then hydrated before using.

Buy some onion flakes and hydrate them. I bet they will be very close.

Oh.....I love Krystal burgers. I get 5 each time. No fries.

We even try to replicate McDonald's French fries.

yech!!! patouiee! who would even want to? Now if you hve ever experienced Montreal's own "LaFleurs"... you would know what a REAL french fry tastes like. Ask any ex-patriot what they miss most about home in Montreal and the answer will be... Lafleurs french fries! :LOL:

Thanks GG. Again, I never thought of slicing them that thick. Guess I was worried about how long they would take to cook. But obviously it works! I'll give it a try. Think I have small skewers that wouldn't rip them apart but I do have wooden skewers.

Thanks again!

hmm, cool side of the grill, right? :rolleyes:
I usually make them when I'm also grilling bell peppers. I do them over a low flame (gas grill) and turn them over and around so they cook evenly. It takes about 10-15 minutes. I don't put onions on my burgers, so I usually chop these up with the peppers to add to a pasta salad. So it doesn't matter to me how thick they are.

yech!!! patouiee! who would even want to? Now if you hve ever experienced Montreal's own "LaFleurs"... you would know what a REAL french fry tastes like. Ask any ex-patriot what they miss most about home in Montreal and the answer will be... Lafleurs french fries! [emoji38]
Because some people like them :rolleyes: Not everything has to be the best of the best all the time.

Very true GG - I never actually ate fries all that much but I do like them... from just about anywhere but McD's, Harvey's are not at the top of the list. But theirs would be good, as would anybody's, in a poutine!

Also I might just serve those onions as is on the side. Yummy! If this weather keeps up I'll be trying them soon. :yum:

I think it has more to do with the hobby aspect of cooking, trying to replicate recipes, whether they're fast-food or gourmet meals. We even try to replicate McDonald's French fries.

yech!!! patouiee! who would even want to? Now if you hve ever experienced Montreal's own "LaFleurs"... you would know what a REAL french fry tastes like. Ask any ex-patriot what they miss most about home in Montreal and the answer will be... Lafleurs french fries! :LOL:

Sorry to disagree, but I love McDonald's fries when they are fresh out of the fryer (so hot that it hurts your teeth to bite into the first couple). I usually only go to a Mickey D's during busy times to ensure that I get fresh fries. I've actually been known to get a burger from somewhere else, then go down the street to McDonald's for the fries to go with it.

I would say that one of my favorites is the local restaurant here in town. They do a really good job with the fries too, but outside of maybe a 50 mile radius, nobody ever heard of them, so I wouldn't try to use that as a yardstick for comparison.

Last edited:
Yes please! GG! Love Israel couscous and I bet with the peppers and onion it's perfect! Recipe please!

Israeli couscous is not always available here, you have to look for it. It is just starting to become more popular. I really like it - there are so many dishes it is well suited for.

Back
Top Bottom