Oven finished corned beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmb3006

Assistant Cook
:cool: My 1st adventure with corned beef was a success,a organization asked me to cook a few corned beefs for a St. Paddy's party.We were using the ketchen at the local Knights of Columbus Hall.I had never cooked one in my life.What a suprise when I got to the hall and found 23 of them to be prepared.Thank God I had my wife's old Betty Croker cook book in the truck.I divided them into 3 stock pots and a large kettle that I found there.I added 5 dryed Bay leaves to each container,cut up white Onions,the flavor packets from each bagged corned beef,garlic powder,and black pepper.When they came to a boil I reduced the heat and let them cook for 31\2 hours.A glase was made using butter brown sugar ground cloves.and mustard.This was spred on the fat side of the briskets and finished in the oven's for 20 min.'s The people raved about it.I did them this way for 4 years ending with 37 briskets the last time.the club put on the party.It is now a favorite at our home.

That sounds good. But, I'm confused. Here corned beef and brisket are two seperate meats. Did you cook them both, or do you refer to the corned beef as the brisket?

texasgirl, I believe corned beef is a brisket that has been cured, or "corned". Same cut of meat, but one is pre-seasoned, so to speak.

:ermm: Well Duh!!
7.gif

I really didn't know that, see, shows how much I know:LOL:
thank you, Mudbug.

Thanks for the reply.Here in Central NY.(Syracuse)Corned beef is a beef product sold wraped in plastic that has been cured in a brine.The less fat cuts are briskets the others are called points and they are fatty.Much of this is lost during the long cooking process.I think the points have the best taste;but they do shrink in size,so I like to make 2 for meals at home.They cost about .99 per lb.when on sale for St.Patricks Day.Cabbage is always served with this Irish meal.I don't like boiled meals so I fix it up a special way.

Can't say I'm a big fan of cooked cabbage, but boiled potatoes with corned beef is just fine with me. Gotta slather the butter on the potatoes, though.

How do you do the cabbage part?

dmb3006, do you have proportions for the glaze? how much cloves, mustard, etc. for each corned beef?

I really like this forum;and will post as often as I can problem is I'm a 2 finger typist.The glase is by taste,easy on the cloves they are strong and bitter use the butter and mustard to make a paste of the brown sugar and you will be OK.

The cabbage part I start my pan with about a 1\4 lb. of bacon.when this is crisp I add onion that has been sliced 2 or 3 large yellow.when these have almost cooked I add the cabbage.I like to cut the stalk out from the bottom,then cut in hafe and cut into chunks.You will need a large skillet with a cover.Let it cook down I reserve some of the juice from the corned beef pot and add about a 1/4 cup as the cabbage cooks down.uncover in about 7 to 10 min. add more of the broth cook for 35 to 45 min total time mix well.People seem to really like it.

the brisket and point are the same cut of meat.

They equal the whole brisket. Corn beef is usually the flat(thinner, flatter side) the point is the thick part.

brisketselect1.jpg

In this picture the flat would be to the right, and the point is on the left.

That's it!

For Pastrami, take that corn beef and cold smoke it.

You are a spiritual typist.

Seek and ye shall find! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom