Oven Roast Help please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mk3_gurl

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone. First off let me say that I am new to cooking, but love to learn.

I have a bonless sirloin tip oven roast that I had purchased a couple weeks ago and froze. Now I took it out of the freezer Saturday around 3pm, it's now Monday at 3pm, do you think it's finished defrosting on the inside?:ermm:

Also, of course...does anyone have any simple recipies? I would like to add the traditional potatoes and carrots:)

TIA;)

put potatoes and baby carrots in bottom of crockpot. had sliced up onion. put roast on top. sprinkle with packet dry onion soup and let her rip. u can add a small amount of beef stock.

babe:chef::chef:

A sirloin roast is very lean, so I would go low and slow and try to eat it medium rare so it stays tender. Check cooksillustrated.com for a recent recipe.

I found this nice recipe at a blog I visit (elise.com). The red wine is so wonderful with the beef.

* 3 1/2 lb of beef shoulder or boneless chuck roast
* 1 Tbsp olive or grapeseed oil
* Salt, pepper, italian seasoning to taste
* 1 large yellow onion, chopped or sliced
* 4 cloves of garlic, peeled
* 1/2 cup of red wine
* Several carrots, peeled and cut lengthwise

1 Use a thick-bottomed covered pot, such as a dutch oven, just large enough to hold roast and vegetables. Heat 1 Tbsp of oil on medium high heat (hot enough to sear the meat). Sprinkle and rub salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning all over the meat. Brown roast in pot, all over, several minutes on each side. Don't move the roast while a side is browning, or it won't brown well.

2 When roast is browned, lift up the meat and add garlic and chopped onion to the bottom of the pan. Let the roast sit on top of the onions. Add 1/2 cup of red wine. Cover. Bring to simmer and then adjust the heat down to the lowest heat possible to maintain a low simmer when covered (we cook our roast on the warm setting of our electric range)*.

3 Cook for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, until meat is tender. (If you are using a pressure cooker, cut the time by half). Near the end of the cooking, add carrots, cook until tender, about an additional 10 minutes.

Sirloin tip roast is an oven roast, not a crockpot or pot roast. I'd roast it in a 350F oven to an internal temperature of 130 F and serve it medium rare. Baked potato on the side and a veggie.

Thanks for the tips. So my question is...it can be pink on the inside?:ermm:

Would this recipe work:

Ingredients:

2 tbsp. vegetable oil
3 1/2-lb. to 4-lb. boneless beef bottom round roast or chuck pot roast
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup (Regular, 98% Fat Free or 25% Less Sodium)
1 1/4 cups water
1 pouch Campbell's® Dry Onion Soup and Recipe Mix
6 medium potatoes, cut into quarters
6 medium carrots, cut into 2" pieces
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour

Directions:

HEAT oil in saucepot over medium-high heat. Add roast and cook until browned. Pour off fat.
ADD mushroom soup, 1 cup water and onion soup mix. Heat to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat 1 hr. 30 min.
ADD potatoes and carrots. Cover and cook 1 hr. or until roast is fork-tender. Remove roast and vegetables to platter.
MIX flour and remaining water. Add to soup mixture. Cook and stir until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Serve with roast and vegetables.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. So my question is...it can be pink on the inside?:ermm:

Would this recipe work:

No, this will not work - it will be tough and dry. Chuck roast has lots of fat and gristle all through it, which melts out with long, slow cooking. Your sirloin tip doesn't have as much fat, so using a pot roast method will overcook it. Try this one: Beef Sirloin Tip Roast Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

Excellent advice. I just made the best roast that I have ever made. Absolutely wonderful insight and information. Thank you once again.

Thank you for all the tips! I made it in the oven and added dry onion mix, spices, ketchup with carrots and potatoes, and the bf loved it! You guys are the best!

Back
Top Bottom