Oven Roasted Beef Tenderloin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sh0n

Assistant Cook
Here's the deal

I had a 2 lb beef tenderloin in which I pan seared 2 minues on each side

I finished it in the oven for about 15mins @400 F. Let it rest for 10mins

Sliced it up, everything was perfect, medium rare - medium, just the way I like how it.

However one thing I realized it had the really musky and beefy taste to it.
I remember roasted beef tenderloins I've had before was never this musky and beefy

So what's the reason?

The meat that I used was frozen for about 2 months and I took bout a few hours to let it thaw

Could it be the meat itself? The way how i cut/trimed/handle/froze my meat?

Please tell me why

"Musky" says to me "gone bad."

Could it have been that the meat was going/gone bad when you froze it?

Did you smell it before you cooked it (always a good idea)?

I didnt exactly smell it before I cooked it persay

But I took a whif of it and it was nowhere near musky.

Could it be that I set it out to thaw it for 3-4 hrs that it gone bad?

Becaues the funny thing is

It doesnt smell musky after its cooked, but it taste really musky, gamey since its medium rare?

Anyone can explain?

Med Rare should not give off that taste. Something went wrong with either th02
e storage or the thawing of the meat. Did you thaw in the fridge or on the counter?

I can think of another possibility - perhaps it wasn't hung properly - had you any other cuts of beef from the same source?

just my .02

I thawed it on counter @ room temperature for about 4-5hrs

Not sure what you mean by "musky" flavor. As the meat wasn't at room temp. for very long, I doubt it would have developed a bad flavor in that amount of time. However, if the meat was already bad when you froze it, as was mentioned in an above post, that would certainly account for the off-flavor. Other possibilities are that your seasonings created the unwanted flavor. Some seasonings, like organo, or thyme, when used in conjuction with meats like beef can create a wild, almost gamey flavor. After all, that gaminess is usually caused by the foods the animal eats. If the cow was eating alfalfa, for instance, just before being butchered, that would certainly produce an unwanted flavor. The pan you cooked in, if it had been unused for a while, and maybe had a bit of moisture in it, could add an off-odor as well. And then there are the fats that you add to the pan, if fresh and young, then they wouldn't hurt anything. But if you used a fat that had maybe gone rancid, that could certainly cause flavor problems. There are many variables that can cause your meat to develop unwanted flavors, some of which have been mentioned. To avoid such problems, make sure that all cooking appliances are clean, and if they have been sitting a while, rinsed out. Make sure the meat is fresh, or aged properly by a reputable butcher. Be careful to match the seasoning you use to the flavor you are trying to attain. Make sure that any fats used in conjunction with the meat, such as cooking oil, shortening, etc., are fresh and neutral in flavor. After that, you should have no porblems. Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

It's definately the beef.Was it frozen when you bought it,generally all tenderloin comes into the markets fresh and cryovac.In this state the meat will stay fresh for about 3 weeks,after that it will start to decay and become musky and like you said smell beefy.If it isn't sold,the establishment might
freeze in the cryocav container and obviously the butcher can't tell if its gone bad and the unsuspecting purchaser buys it.If you bought fresh from the butcher and wasn't in cryovac then you just got a piece of old beef,or
you left it too long and froze it yourself.And of course the purvayor could have got a piece of bad meat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom