Ox tongue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chopstix

Head Chef
I make a mean stewed ox tongue dish. I combined Spanish and French recipes and came up with a consistent winner. There's never any leftover which is too bad 'coz some guests invariably want to take some home. (Actually DH makes me freeze part of the batch for his personal ration). I searched this topic and couldn't find any entries for ox tongue in DiscussCooking. Does anybody here eat ox tongue at all?

I am sure there are lots of folk who will eat it, and as varied as my diet is I should too. BUT...I make it a point not to eat anything that could taste me back. The mere thought gives me the willies.

Alix, a Danish friend who was one of my dinner guests when I served my ox tongue actually cracked a joke, likening it to 'french kissing a cow'. He ate it anyway :)

tounge is awesome when cooked nicely. The only innarrd I will not ever eat is brains for safety reasons. (obviously) I am fond of liver and kidneys, I eat sweetbreads, I have had tripe beautifully prepared, I have enjoyed real soul food chitterlings, etc. At some delis you can still get sliced beef toungue sandwiches! anyway...post your recipe please!

I thought beef tongue would be horriible, but prepared correctly, it's like the most tender steak you can immagine, think veal or somewhere along those lines. You actually peel the tongue so it doesn't have the rubbery "tongue" texture.

I haven't tried it but... would be more than willing.

Is there a big difference between beef and ox ?

there is if you ask the cows...:)

sorry, that was an udderly bad joke.

good jewish delis in ny still serve tongue, i think beef, often with a raisin or horseradish sauce. i haven't had it in years, but i remember it was quite tasty.

I have had beef tongue when I was young. I was not told what it was before hand. I hated it. Only once they knew I did not like it purely for flavor reasons did they tell me what it was.

As long as the 'skin' is removed, in my mind, tongue is just any other muscle. It's very lean too, as long as you trim off the extraneous fat, which is very easy to do.

Not having a pressure cooker, I simmer my ox tongue for a good 3 hours to get it really good and tender with that 'melt in your mouth' quality.

Sure Robo, I'll need to type up the recipe first. Pls give me sometime.

GB, if it was the flavor that threw you and you have nothing against tongue, you might want to give it another try. Maybe it wasn't prepared well when you had it young.

buckytom said:
there is if you ask the cows...:)

sorry, that was an udderly bad joke.

good jewish delis in ny still serve tongue, i think beef, often with a raisin or horseradish sauce. i haven't had it in years, but i remember it was quite tasty.

ahhhh bucky bucky bucky...
what would we do with out you making us laugh all day?

:):)

I've been meaning to buy some tongue to cook and try since I havent had it before. I'll just have to not tell the others in my household what it is. I'm constantly feeding them stuff they say they won't eat (livers in bolognaise or lasagne or any dish with minced meat in it) without telling them.

The only thing I can't feed one of them and get away with is seafood. **** it's telltale taste!

It's not to my liking really, but is somewhat popular in Ireland. Despite it's steep price (about 30 euros a kg) I notice that it's often very close to being sold out as a lunch meat at the local grocery store deli counter.

Here you go Robo!

Ox Tongue Stew
You need:
- Heavy-bottomed pot just big enough to comfortably fit whole tongue at the bottom.
- 1 whole ox tongue, skin removed (2 to 2.5 lbs) (ask your butcher to do this)

For Seasoning & Softening:
¼ cup rum
¼ cup soy sauce
1 Tbsp well-pounded garlic
½ cup coarsely chopped onions
1 Tbsp dried rosemary leaves
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Water to cover tongue

For Final Cooking:
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup butter
1 Tbsp well-pounded garlic
½ cup coarsely chopped onions
1 tsp dried rosemary leaves
1 can button mushrooms
½ cup pitted green olives
Strained broth + water to total 3 cups liquid
Salt and Pepper to taste
5 Tbsp cornstarch in a slurry

Procedure:
1. Cleaning:
Boil enough water to cover tongue. Add tongue and boil 5 min. Drain. Repeat process 3 times.

2. Seasoning & Softening:
Wash the pot. Return tongue to pot. Add rum, soy sauce, garlic, onions, rosemary, and pepper to taste. Pour enough water to cover tongue. Let boil then turn heat down to gently simmer covered 3-4 hours or until fork-tender. Strain stock and reserve. Once cool, slice tongue one third-inch thick pieces.

3. Final Cooking:
In same pot, heat together oil and butter. Add garlic, onions, rosemary. Saute until soft. Add 3 cups reserved broth + water. Off heat. Use stick blender to puree the lot. Add mushrooms and olives. Bring to a boil. S&P to taste. Add enough cornstarch slurry to thicken sauce while stirring. When thoroughly cooked, add tongue slices. Bring to boil. Adjust seasonings one last time.

Serve hot with steamed rice or mashed potato. Can be frozen in portions.

Back
Top Bottom