Oxtails in Texas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooksie

Senior Cook
I'm always looking for something new and different to try. I saw some ox tails at the grocery store today. Do you think what they're selling here in Texas are really tails from oxen or might they be tails from cows? And, do you consider ox tails budget food (they weren't cheap) or a delicacy?

They aren't Ox tails from Oxen....They are from beef cattle....I don't consider them a "delicacy" --- Budget food??? Like you said...They are not cheap.

I'm always looking for something new and different to try. I saw some ox tails at the grocery store today. Do you think what they're selling here in Texas are really tails from oxen or might they be tails from cows? And, do you consider ox tails budget food (they weren't cheap) or a delicacy?

Hi Cooksie,
TBH, I can`t tell you as I live in the UK. However, Oxtail is a classic stew or casserole or slow cooked dish in the UK. They are the jointed tails from beef cattle. they require to be cooked slowly so a dutch oven or a crock port or a slow cooker is perfect. Season with crushed juniper berries (no more than 4 per jointed tail) and a bit of orange peel, sliced/chopped onions (browned) carrot, celery, garlic, pinch of cloves, red wine and/or port and slow cook.

Alternatively, you could do an orientally spiced dish using freshly grated ginger, garlic, a couple of star anise and a good glug of soy sauce, stock, dash of sherry etc and cook long and slow.

Oxtail pieces exude a large amount of fat whilst they are cooking. So, the best thing you could do is to cook the oxtail the day before you require to eat the dish. Allow to cool, refrigerate and then remove the fat which will rise to the surface. Thicken the liquid, on reheating, if you need to do so by adding slaked cornflour (cornflour blended to a paste with cold water) or adding beurre manié (butter and flour blended) and added in small amounts to the hot sauce, stirring all the time until the desired consistency is reached.

The oxtail meat can be removed form the bones and used in a pie with other beef cuts or in vol-au-vents for a starter or even in ravioli with a touch of horseradish or beetroot and served with sage butter or added to a sauce to use with pasta.

For me, the essential point is to remember that when cooking the meat and bones, they will give off a lot of fat. Cooking in advance enables one to remove the excess fat which does ruin the flavours of the meat and be left with the rich and wonderful flavour of the meat in a gorgeous sauce.

Hope this helps,
Archiduc

Now

Cooksie...I "second or third" the motion, the oxtails are probably from cattle. However, they are quite tasty and Buck and I have enjoyed a wonderful soup see post 16, using oxtails. It's soooo yummy. It's one of our favorites and is quite rich. Enjoy.

Thanks all for the info. I'm sure they are good, but they are awfully deceiving when you look at them---look like all bone/fat. We're going to try them tomorrow. Hubby has eaten them before, so he wants to try his hand at cooking them :clap:.

well its like the baitfish we use when we go fishing
also like a perch or bluegill or sunfish

but to the owning person
you can buy it in the stores for an outrageous prices
also called
TILAPIA

I love oxtails cooked in the slow cooker. Beef broth, a bit of water, bay leaf, chopped onion, garlic...YUM! My husband used to think they were short ribs - I wish I never told him what they were 'cause now he won't eat them :LOL:

We had these last night. They are really quite good--very rich, but quite fatty. This picture is when they are ready to go into the oven. Hubby added vegetables the last hour. The aroma during cooking will drive you wild, and the sauce is de-lish.

3467981703_a074451dc2.jpg

Cooksie, sounds like a nice dinner last night!

Thanks for the nice words about my videos.

BTW I love the cat pic your using I almost hear it purring.

Back
Top Bottom