Pan Fried Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RPCookin

Executive Chef
I pan fried a 1½" ribeye last night for dinner - stainless tri ply pan, medium high heat on the largest burner on my gas range. Took it to 120° on my Thermapen, then let it rest to 130°. Perfect medium rare.

I salted the meat with Kosher salt for an hour and a half at room temp before I started cooking. I heated 1/4 cup of oil short of smoking, then put the steak in. I just kept flipping it every 2 minutes until the internal temp was right. I basted the top side with the hot oil a couple of times between each flip, and for the last flip (internal temp was about 105°) I added 2 pats of butter and a rosemary sprig to flavor the basting oil.

It was delicious. I could have grilled it, but it was just windy enough to dissuade me from cooking out there in the dark. Besides, there are things that I can do in a pan that can't really be done on the grill.

Last edited:
Sounds good. I did that recently with a smaller strip steak (as part of a surf and turf dinner) it came out great in the CI skillet. A slightly different taste from the grill but still great.

Wow that sounds awesome. We don't have any decent pans (food sticks to them), so I picked up a cast iron and have been using that to sear steaks in. I let them rest at room temp for an hour then put EVOO/salt/pepper on them and sear each side. Then I finish them in the oven, because wife likes well done. She even puts ketchup/A1 on them. Ick.

Rick, that sounds wonderful. It has been very nice out, but the wind has been problematic. I need to do a freezer dive and see if I can find something to grill or pan fry.

I pan fried two nice ribeye's for our anniversary dinner tonight. I used the flip every 2 minutes method, and they came out absolutely perfect medium rare.

Then I made a pan sauce from the tasty bits, one that I first had at Bottege di Lornano a few miles outside of Sienna in Tuscany. We loved this place and made it a point to eat there twice more after we stumbled across it for lunch one day while driving around the countryside. These two waiters were the nicest guys. They spoke about as much English as we did Italian (virtually none), but we still managed to communicate and have a great time there. They treated us like family, a wonderful experience, we were sorry to have to leave the area after just 4 days.

i-2VVPLs2-L.jpg

The chef was kind enough to write down the ingredients for the sauce after I raved about it, but no quantities because he just mixes and tastes until it's right. This was the first time I had heavy cream on hand to use instead of just milk, and the difference was notable. Just 4 ingredients, and a simple process.

Red wine
Heavy cream
Balsamic vinegar
Butter

Deglaze the pan with the wine, using a wooden spoon to loosen up the good stuff. Whisk in cream, reduce, whisk in vinegar, reduce, finish with a pat of butter. I didn't reduce it quite enough, so it was a little runny, but the flavor was all there. If you try it you will have to just experiment, because this is the best info I can give, and it's really more than he gave me, except that I knew how it was supposed to taste.

Wow that sounds awesome. We don't have any decent pans (food sticks to them), so I picked up a cast iron and have been using that to sear steaks in. I let them rest at room temp for an hour then put EVOO/salt/pepper on them and sear each side. Then I finish them in the oven, because wife likes well done. She even puts ketchup/A1 on them. Ick.

Sounds like my wife. She has stopped using ketchup as she finally realized the steak made here at home beats anything we could go out to get.
She is even open to a little pink!

I use aluminum and stainless steel pans and the key to preventing sticking is to preheat the pan first. Then add oil and when it is shimmering (close to smoke point) put the steak in. (the steak must be dry). I turn once at 3 minutes. Then 3 minutes more. Then to the oven.
I use Costco steaks and they are about 2" or more. 3 minute per side sear, 6 minutes in 350F oven. Then rest for at least 10 minutes on warm plate.

I am going to have to try this reverse searing. It sounds delicious.

The saddest part of my so-called cooking career was when I went home to live with my mom and her sister. I arrived in December and for a Christmas gift I decided to get them something they never would have bought for themselves: huge filet mignons and giant prawns.

In about February I asked when they were planning to have the filet mignons. They looked at me astonished and said, "We had them for New Year's dinner!" I think my mouth was on the floor for about 5 minutes. The steaks we'd had for New Year's were about an inch thick and cooked till they were dry as a bone. My mom then told me the steaks were so thick, they'd cut them in half (lengthwise) and since they like their steaks "cooked right through!", they fried them until they were practically curling up in the pan.

I think I cried a little.

I always thought that I was the master of pan broiling a steak but I've never done it like that. I use very little oil and flip only once. I'll have to try it Ramseys way. It does sound good.

Back
Top Bottom