Pan Roasted Beef Tenderloin with Sweet Ginger-Shiitake Brown Butter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironchef

Executive Chef
This one is fairly easy to do and the sauce really goes with the mild beef flavor of the filet

Pan Roasted Beef Tenderloin with Sweet Ginger-Shiitake Brown Butter

Yield: 4 Servings

Ingredients:

6 oz. + 3 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
4 ea., 7-8 oz. Filet Mignon
2 Tbsp. Fresh Ginger, finely minced
1 Tbsp. Fresh Garlic, finely minced
1/2 c. Fresh Shiitake Mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 1/2 oz. Sake
1 oz. Mirin
1 Tbsp. Garlic Chives, finely chopped
Kosher Salt and Fresh Cracked Pepper

Method:

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. In a heavy skillet, heat the olive oil on high until lightly smoking. Season the filets on both sides with salt and pepper. Pan sear on both sides until golden brown, then transfer to oven and cook until desired doneness. Remove steak from the oven and pan, and let rest for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a sauce pan, heat the 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter on medium/medium-high. Add the ginger and garlic and cook until translucent and aromatic, but do not brown, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Add the shiitake mushrooms and about 1/2 tsp. of salt, and saute until cooked though, about 3-4 minutes. Add the mirin and sake and reduce by roughly half. Add the remaining unsalted butter and after the butter melts, reduce the heat to medium low. Continue to cook until the butter browns, about 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat, season to taste with salt and stir in the chives. Serve immediately.

your recipes always look so scrumptious. I have one mild objection - does a filet ever really get GOLDEN brown? I always associate "golden" more with potatoes, bread, biscuits, etc.

mudbug said:
your recipes always look so scrumptious. I have one mild objection - does a filet ever really get GOLDEN brown? I always associate "golden" more with potatoes, bread, biscuits, etc.

You can just say browned. I always put golden brown out of habit I guess.

We have never tried to fix fillet mignon at home.

Am I correct in assuming that they are cut from the tenderloins? I see those at Sam's sometimes...they are very expensive.

Constance said:
We have never tried to fix fillet mignon at home.

Am I correct in assuming that they are cut from the tenderloins? I see those at Sam's sometimes...they are very expensive.

That's correct. It's cheaper to buy the whole tenderloin from either Costco or Sam's if you're going strictly per pound, but it's cheaper to buy pre-cut tenderloin from your local market if you're only going to prepare it for a few people.

Back
Top Bottom