Pan Sear/Oven roast 1st attempt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billdolfski

Senior Cook
I've been pan searing steaks as of this winter. Too cold to grill outside plus I always wanted to try it. I must say, I do enjoy a good pan seared steak... I've even got the scars on my hands and stomach to prove it (don't cook in your underwear, folks). I hadn't had a steak in a while so I got my friend, who is conveniently a butcher, to cut a porterhouse for me.

Well... I wasn't going to just pan sear it because it was a little big. 1.5 lbs, so I figured I finish it off oven roasting it (I like mine mid rare, not raw). I got the range on medium high and put the whole cast iron skillet in the oven at 375, with a little good ole bacon grease for lubrication. Pulled skillet from oven, put on range and seared each side for 2 min (kosher salt and course ground b pepper only). Then I threw the whole deal in the oven, turned it up to 400 deg and turned it once halfway through. Time in oven was six minutes.

img_238884_0_f0fe80be40079dbda5b069ac1faf1c64.jpg

I'm starting to drool! That's my favorite cut of beef!

What size cast iron sklilet were you using? I've got a couple 12" skillets that should be able to handle a big porterhouse easily.

Another thought, you could have preheated the pan in the oven, or on the stovetop, but to get some good browning, why not broil the sucker?

It's a 14" skillet.

I did preheat the pan in the oven, I just forgot to mention that (375 deg)... my memory isn't the greatest. I didn't technically broil it, because the top element in my oven is out =P

I will try just broiling one someday... but I like to play with my CI skillet, maybe even a little to much. Browning a roast in it right now.

A good way to fix pork tenderloin is to heat the cast iron skillet on the stove to VERY hot, sear the tenderloin, turning to get all sides. Put in preheated 425* oven for finishing--about 10 minutes for 145* internal temp.
Putting in the oven to pre-heat really wouldn't be necessary--just heat on top of the stove before searing the steak.

Man, that's a mean looking steak! I've got two options for sides for it; eggs or mashed taters! That's what I would do! I trust you enjoyed indulging!

As for cooking in skivvies, I concur. Another no no to cook without complete covering is bacon, at least on the stove top. Not that anyone needed to know our cooking woes, but se la vi! LOL!

Gretchen: I'll try that before long, pork tenderloin is one of my all time favorites and I haven't gone wrong yet. Not to mention, if I can implement my skillet for yet another purpose, it's already done.

Big Dog: Ha... apparently you know too. It was actually bacon grease that spattered on me... oh well, it happens. It was hard to concentrate on the filet mignon while I had 2nd degree burns on my hands and stomach, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Eggs are probably my favorite side to a good steak, but I'll be honest. After I ate that guy I was laid out on the couch with one leg over the back of it gasping for air... a friend that came over later was making fun of me. I didn't even have the room for two measly fried eggs. I really didn't think it would be that good of a cut, I was thinking 1" = 14-16 oz... not 1" = 1.56 lbs. Either way, I wasn't heartbroken.:-p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom