"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 12-05-2007, 07:42 AM   #21
Senior Cook

The method I use when pan-searing and finishing in the oven is to place the steaks on wire racks in foil lined cookie pans or sheet pans. Bone in, boneless, doesn't really matter. No turning necessary either.

Only things that really matter to the method are how thick your steaks are (which will vary your cooking time a little), if you're cooking for the whole neighborhood (too many steaks in the oven will slow you down, but you have to have a LOT of meat to make it a factor) and how done you really want your steak. Thick cut steaks generally get medium rare at 350 in a half hour, If you want straight medium you can up the time or up the temp to 375.

Well done steaks are generally the hardest to get the timing right with this method, because generally you're cooking them for what seems like forever. Especially if you've only got one person requesting well done.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:57 AM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
...Thick cut steaks generally get medium rare at 350 in a half hour, If you want straight medium you can up the time or up the temp to 375...

After searing both sides of a 2" thick filet, 10-11 minutes in a 350 F will give me a medium steak. I usually do them for 8-9 minutes for medium rare. I just leave them in the same pan and move it from the burner to the oven

How thick are your steaks!?

Old 12-05-2007, 08:06 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Hm... I'm usually using steaks somewhere around 1.25-1.5" thick, basically the thickest ones I find at Wal-Mart... But using porterhouse and T-bone rather than filet... And generally in the 12-16 oz range

Might also be the difference in method. Your hot pan might help cook em quicker than my transfer to cool racks.

I generally sear for only about 30-40 seconds on the edges, and, at most, 90 seconds on the flats. Using a cheap non-stick fry pan to do the searing. All I look for is getting that nice caramel color underlying the rub I'm using before popping em in the oven.

As far as temperature goes for the sear, I've generally got the pan just below the point where it starts smoking the evoo I use to keep the rub on the steaks.

In general, the technique is to hit it fast and hard with the sear, and finish slow and gentle in the oven.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:16 AM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef

I sear a little longer to get a nice crust then go to the oven. that explains the diff. I have done it in a non-stick skillet and put that in the oven at 350F.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:06 AM   #25
Senior Cook

The wind was blowing very hard last night so I pan seared a nice Choice NY strip instead of fooling with the grill. Got the pan real hot
over a medium high heat then melted garlic butter and olive oil.

Gave the steak a good dusting with a mixture of kosher salt, garlic salt, and ground black pepper, then into the pan. Seasoned the other side while searing.

Just about ready, I do it all in the pan. About three minutes a side does it for me, nice and rare.

Remove it to a warm plate and cover with a clean cloth. Add some white wine to the pan and work it around.

Pour drippings over the steak and itís time to eat.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:50 PM   #26
Executive Chef

John A, this is the only way I make steaks (in part because I don't know how to do it any other way). I don't put mine in the oven, either. I found this method in a Julia Child cookbook and I think she called it pan-saute'd steak and it really is no-fail. The only difference is I don't season until the steaks come out to rest, I use red wine, and I swirl in butter after the wine has reduced and the pan is off heat.

Thanks for taking the time to post these pics - they would have helped me so much when I was learning to do this.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:12 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Hi Fisher's Mom,

I season before cooking as the salt draws juices out thereby giving a nice crust. I prefer doing them on a grill but this a very good alternative.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:18 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Okay, John, I'll season the meat before I cook before next Steak Sunday! I intend to start learning to use my grill but I'll probably wait until spring. I kinda like cooking in the kitchen in winter because I have no heat in there and it warms things up a little.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:33 PM   #29
Senior Cook

I just noticed that you are in San Antonio. My first time there was in the mid 40's when my dad was stationed at Randolph Field, we lived in New Braunfels. The second was in 1959 while I was at Lackland AFB.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:43 PM   #30
Head Chef

Let me just say that I was so pleased with how my steaks turned out that I want to repeat it for Christmas dinner since there will only be three of us.

Tags
None