"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 12-17-2007, 05:53 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine l View Post
Let me just say that I was so pleased with how my steaks turned out that I want to repeat it for Christmas dinner since there will only be three of us.
Isn't this an awesome way to make fabulous steaks??? Being new to real cooking, I had never made a good steak before this spring. Somehow, I always managed to turn any steak into shoe leather. Doing it this way, I always turn out tender juicy steaks. My family is so delighted that we have them every Sunday evening. And actually, we'll probably have them for Christmas dinner, too!

Old 12-17-2007, 05:59 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a View Post
I just noticed that you are in San Antonio. My first time there was in the mid 40's when my dad was stationed at Randolph Field, we lived in New Braunfels. The second was in 1959 while I was at Lackland AFB.
Things have really changed since you were here John. When I moved here 20+ years ago, there were 7 military installations. Half of them have closed or been privatized. Lackland and Ft. Sam are still going strong mostly because of their medical facilities. But it's become quite the tourist town with the RiverWalk at the center of things. You'll have to get back down this way one day!

Old 12-18-2007, 08:22 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

usually i am cooking for myself. i really try to keep it interesting but it can be hard.

not a huge meat lover, but do like the occasional rare steak. i buy extra thin and sear in skillet. so much easier to the get the rare meat i am after. had one last night, i use a steak seasoning that i buy in market. yum

babe
Old 12-22-2007, 11:41 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Well I got to have pan seared steak last night, but it was in having to go to Plan B......
I couldn't get my grill to heat up or the weak looking flames to adjust. I even changed out bottles and put a fresh one on. Being behind the 8 ball with my other food items being just about done, I threw my CI skillet on the stove and turned the burner on high. In went some EVOO and garlic powder and in the meantime I turned the oven on. I put the steak in, waited a while, flipped it, waited a while and put it in the oven. Waited a while and pulled it out. I had no idea what I was doing other than having read pan searing threads and asking questions here.
It wasn't the prettiest looking steak I've ever had. It sort of browned up like a fried porch chop and I'm used to having grill marks, but it had to be one of the juiciest, pink all the way through, tenderest steaks I've ever eaten. I was not expecting it to come out that well.

I may just put pan searing in a rotation with the grill. I'm a believer now that it's a great way to do steaks!

Oh, and I called Ducane this morning and apparently there's some sort of safety device built into the regulators now, it musn't have liked the way I turned on the grill last night and had regulated the pressure down. All is well with my grill again.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:01 PM   #35
Senior Cook

I too prefer a grill but pan seared does go good every now and then. Sounds as if you opened the gas tank valve too fast, that's what Weber told me when I had a similiar problem.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:55 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

On this grill I leave the valve open all the time. Don't know why..... maybe because that's what my father does, maybe because the tank is out of sight (out of mind), but no more.
I'll bet opening the valve to quickly was the problem with another grill I used to have (that I didn't like) because it never got hot enough for me. I got a new grill as a housewarming present and was very ticked off I ever got rid of my old one, which was pre '95. That new one never did work right. I gave it away and heard it worked great for the new owners.....
Now after reading the instructions Ducane emailed me I see where you're supposed to open the valve in quarter turns and it should take 15 seconds to open it all the way.

That's gonna take some training on my part Old habits are hard to break. I always just spun the valve open. I'm surprised I never had a problem before with this grill and so was customer support

But I'm glad I did if only to have to pan sear my ribeye
Old 04-23-2009, 06:23 AM   #37
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
On this grill I leave the valve open all the time. Don't know why..... maybe because that's what my father does, maybe because the tank is out of sight (out of mind), but no more.
I'll bet opening the valve to quickly was the problem with another grill I used to have (that I didn't like) because it never got hot enough for me. I got a new grill as a housewarming present and was very ticked off I ever got rid of my old one, which was pre '95. That new one never did work right. I gave it away and heard it worked great for the new owners.....
Now after reading the instructions Ducane emailed me I see where you're supposed to open the valve in quarter turns and it should take 15 seconds to open it all the way.
I know this is an old thread...

Pacanis: You should NEVER open the gas cyclinder valve more than a half turn or so. That's all that it needs to be opened to operate perfectly fine. This is basic compressed gas cylinder safety I'm talking about. The reason is that in the event of an emergency you can shut off the valve immediately with just a quick turn. But it makes absolutely NO DIFFERENCE whether it is opened a half turn or all the way open until it stops turning. You will not get any more gas coming out if it is opened all the way. And you should not leave it open all the time because if there is a small leak anywhere it will drain your gas down and could also pose a safety hazard if it were stored in an enclosed space such a garage.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:23 AM   #38
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAtwood View Post
You should NEVER open the gas cyclinder valve more than a half turn or so. That's all that it needs to be opened to operate perfectly fine.
Very interesting. I have always opened it the full amount. This weekend I will try your method because if it works like you say then that makes a lot of sense from a safety perspective.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:34 AM   #39
Master Chef

i don't really like the flavor of pan seared beef. i broil or grill my steaks. when i do a roast i rub it with oil. i crank the oven to 500 to start the brown crust then lower heat (some people sear a roast then put in oven).

Tags
None