Pap's Army Days S.O.S.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sometimes I make biscuits but then it's biscuits and gravy. lol

I've saved the Kraft pimento and cheese spread glasses for juice glasses even though we have nice glasses.

Those little glasses are the perfect size for little hands. All my children learned to drink from. I taught all my kids to graduate from a sippy cup to little glasses. A sign to them that they were all grown up. :angel:

Those little glasses are the perfect size for little hands. All my children learned to drink from. I taught all my kids to graduate from a sippy cup to little glasses. A sign to them that they were all grown up. :angel:

Many jams and jellies used to come in glass jars with pry off lids. I spent most of my childhood drinking from various types of food jars. Strange that I never felt deprived because of it. :LOL:

Many jams and jellies used to come in glass jars with pry off lids. I spent most of my childhood drinking from various types of food jars. Strange that I never felt deprived because of it. :LOL:

There is a big difference between being frugal and being deprived. You had a frugal mother. Just like most of us. :angel:

I've made it with chipped beef, which I found too salry, but I prefer to make it with ground pork sausage as sausage gravy and serve it over toast points or split biscuits.

My dad was a sailor and he would have mom make SOS for him. It will ALWAYS be creamed chipped beef on toast to me. Never had ground beef version.

My dad was a sailor and he would have mom make SOS for him. It will ALWAYS be creamed chipped beef on toast to me. Never had ground beef version.

It's generation and in the old days it was chipped beef and my mother always used dried beef. I grew up in a small town in Iowa with a locker plant. The old locker plants maded the best dried beef and nothing like product found in glass jars. The best I had was dried with hickory smoke. They'd do smoked venison, too.

In the 21 years (68-89) I was in the army I can't recall ever seeing dried beef, it was always burger.

How the Cooks Prepared SOS

I googled the army recipe and all needed more salt or WOR.

Back
Top Bottom