PDT/PDE Sloppy Joes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have always thought Sloppy Joes were the Manwich style. My only exposure to them. This thread has been quite an education for me. Thanks for all the ideas. A quick and easy meal to fix for myself. :angel:

Around here, they are called Manwiches. If I said we are having sloppy Joe's for dinner, they would look at me crossed eyed as they have no idea what a sloppy Joe is.
True.

I have this theory that those lunch ladies traveled from school to school making those favorite dishes of our school years. And none of them had a name. Just Lunch Lady! :angel:

Lucky you Addie and the others that have fond memories of school cafeteria food.
My memory is that it was not fit for human or animal consumption.
I hated the food in the cafeteria.
Once I got into high school I either went home for lunch or to a fast food joint.

Around here, they are called Manwiches. If I said we are having sloppy Joe's for dinner, they would look at me crossed eyed as they have no idea what a sloppy Joe is.
True.

Lucky you Addie and the others that have fond memories of school cafeteria food.
My memory is that it was not fit for human or animal consumption.
I hated the food in the cafeteria.
Once I got into high school I either went home for lunch or to a fast food joint.

That wouldn't fly here in Boston. All school doors are locked in the morning and if you leave the building before the end of the school day, you will be denied readmittance to the school and miss all of your afternoon classes. And the doors are manned by an armed security. :angel:

That wouldn't fly here in Boston. All school doors are locked in the morning and if you leave the building before the end of the school day, you will be denied readmittance to the school and miss all of your afternoon classes. And the doors are manned by an armed security. :angel:

Not when we were growing up, Addie...we had an open campus in High School and no one ever thought (or had to think) about locking us in. It's a different world out there now.

Our high school still has open campus. There is usually a patrol car somewhere between the exit of the high school and the entrance to the main road though, to make sure the kids aren't speeding when they leave campus. :)

When I was a kid, we lived across the street from the elementary school, and two blocks from the high school. We were expected to go home for lunch, but when there were favorite things on the cafeteria menu, we could stay there and eat. Took a lot of begging at times. My great aunt, a fabulous cook and baker, was also a lunch lady when I was in elementary school.

Nowadays, we have to use an employee badge to get into any school, or the secretary has to buzz you in. How times have changed.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Last edited:
Not when we were growing up, Addie...we had an open campus in High School and no one ever thought (or had to think) about locking us in. It's a different world out there now.

At some of our HS over in Roxbury, the kids have to go through metal detectors and they have Boston Police Patrolling the corridors. I am so glad I don't have any kids in school now. :angel:

We had no lunch ladies either. All food came from home in a brown paper bag from 1st through 12th grade. I walked by the public high school smelling the wonderful aromas on my way to my beautiful little school on the hill.

We had no lunch ladies either. All food came from home in a brown paper bag from 1st through 12th grade. I walked by the public high school smelling the wonderful aromas on my way to my beautiful little school on the hill.

I started my education going home for lunch and returning 45 minutes later. Then off to a different school and home was too far, so cafeteria time. My first day in one they served Indian Pudding. I tried one small mouthful. After that I couldn't even sit at a table with anyone eating it. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom