"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Old 09-27-2006, 11:46 AM   #11
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by SpiritWolf
I know how to do it but any new ideas will be great,
Thanks Spiritwolf in Aussie land.
Welcome to DC, SpiritWolf. Try a compound butter of blue cheese or sun-dried tomatoes, or cook the steaks in Bourbon/whiskey. I'm a fan of (carmelized) onions and mushrooms. Pretty much, I like my steak simple, a little worcestershire and garlic powder, and freshly-ground black pepper.

mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:41 PM   #12
Head Chef
I love my steak medium rare to rare and I just broil it in the oven and every once in a while I cut it with a knife to see if it is rare enough.

Steak, mashed potatoes and a salad are my all time dinner favorites.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:54 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Dip in a combination of butter and olive oil, douse generously with salt and cracked black pepper

Rub on side with Dijon mustard and then press firmly into a plate of multi-colored (black, white, red, green) whole peppercorns (cooking the peppercorn side first

Reduce some port (or red wine), add salt, pepper, bleu cheese or gorgonzola

You can do the same as the port suggestion above but saute some shallots and mushrooms in there too while it reduces

Right off the top of my head that 's what I can think of for toppings.

I know a lot of people don't like marinated steaks but every once in awhile I like to marinate in equal parts white wine, teriyaki sauce, and pineapple juice with some fresh chunked garlic and fresh chunked ginger in there too.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:41 PM   #14
Senior Cook
I favour filet steak, cooked rare, pepper salt and thats it. We are fortunate to have an excellent butcher nearby. Sirloins are something I like to roast whole.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:20 PM   #15
Senior Cook
In case you missed it, I was being facetious...

There was once a lot of discussion over on the KC BBQ board about left-handed versus right-handed briskit- which come from different sides of the steer, and which, by-the-way, are easily identifed...

A little (very little) joke on my part...mea culpa

Yes, 20 minutes seems long on the surface, but we cut very thick steaks and this formula serves as medium rare... in the center.

We like to go to a good butcher and get a cryovac of an entire tenderloin or other cuts- cut it ourselves. Get it the way we like it.

Living here in the Salt Lake Valley, the butchers are not used to large (thick) cuts of beef. Apparently the locals like it thin and cheap... too many kids to feed I guess.
Favorite Quote: "Time Flies Like an Arrow - Fruit Flies Like a Banana"
Groucho Marx
Hopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:59 PM   #16
Executive Chef
I like to take my steak, hold it in my hand and wave it over the fire for a few seconds....and then eat it.

While that is a bit of an exageration, I prefer my meat rare. If I have a sauce or gravy to accompany the meat I just season with a bit of salt and pepper. If I expect the meat to stand alone, I'll usually give it a highly seasoned rub.

<---as you can tell, I like the bloody parts...
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:45 PM   #17
Master Chef
Originally Posted by SpiritWolf
Hey Guys, any ideas on how to cook the perfect great steak, I love mine medium to med well done, I know how to do it but any new ideas will be great.
Well, what cut, how thick, and are you really sure you want to screw up a good piece of meat cooking it to medium well done?

I cook different cuts in different ways - appropriate to the cut ... some thin cuts get slapped over hot coals ... some are cooked via "indirect" heat ....
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:04 PM   #18
Senior Cook
SpiritWolf, I'm so glad you started this thread. There are some good ideas here! I hate buying an expensive cut of beef and then having it ruined.
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 02:21 PM   #19
Senior Cook
I like porterhouse and filets medium rare, rubbed down with butter, garlic and pepper. Mushrooms cooked down in cognac on the side.
carolelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 02:48 PM   #20
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
I marinate my steaks in half dales seasoning and mojo seasoning~then grill
to medium rare... :)

kimbaby is offline   Reply With Quote