"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Old 09-27-2006, 05:34 AM   #1
Senior Cook
Send a message via MSN to SpiritWolf Send a message via Yahoo to SpiritWolf
Perfect steak

Hey Guys, any ideas on how to cook the perfect great steak, I love mine medium to med well done, I know how to do it but any new ideas will be great,
Thanks Spiritwolf in Aussie land.

SpiritWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:13 AM   #2
Sous Chef
"I know how to do it but any new ideas will be great," - so, what is your favorite way to do the perfect steak???

Mine is rub a little oil on both sides and slap onto a screaming hot grill - but...cooked rare, then sprinkle with s&P - so mine perfect would certainly not be yours.

cjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:26 AM   #3
I take mine medium well too. No moo-ing meat for me . Unless it's carpacio ofcourse, but that's a different story. Usually I take mine seasoned with p&s and pan fried either in a dash of OO or in lots of foaming margarine. When I'm in the mood for it, and I didn't drink all of it already, I sometimes like to finish it off with a splash of cognac (burnt off ofcourse).
For the type of meat I like entrecote from a good Irish or , better yet, Argentine cow. They're more flavourful and fatty than the usually leaner and more tender but less flavourful Belgian stable raised beef.

Edit: for pepper I usually take 5 pepper mix (black, white, red, green and coriander seeds).
Tonight let us eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die.
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:45 AM   #4
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
For the money you can't beat a nice Choice Sirloin. I have my butcher cut it 2 inches thick. I like to let it set out 3-4 hrs prior to cooking so it can temper. Next I oil it with some olive oil, give it a nice coating of my blackening seasoning and place it into a cast iron pan that is setting on the coals in my grill. After it gets a crust on each side I put the grate on the grill and finish the steak with indirect heat and let it rest for 10 minutes under a tin foil tent. I like mine rare/med rare but you would need to cook yours a little longer. If your feeling ambitious you can also serve a little beanaise sauce with it.

When grilling for fast cooking I prefer the lump charcoal over briquettes, it seems get hotter.

JDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:00 AM   #5
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
For me, the perfect steak is a 1 1/2-inch Porterhouse brought to room temp and seared on a VERY hot grill.... for about 2 1/2 minutes per side. Salt and pepper are all the condiments I want....

In France, I order my beef "Seignant" -- which means BLOOOOODY!
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:01 AM   #6
Senior Cook
I like to rub the meat with vegetable oil (no-not EVOO), and then heavy dose of coarse fresh grind pepper. Let rest at room temperature.

Grill- hot... about 6 minutes side 1, then 90 degree rotate to make "X" marks. (note- the grill marks produce flavor, not just pretty appearance- thanks to Malliard reaction). Go about 5 minutes on side one, position 2.

Reduce heat- go to side 2, position 1. About 5 minutes, then rotate to make the "X"... final position will not take too long- maybe 4 minutes.

Remove from grill. Rest a few minutes. Good to go.

Prefer meat from left side of steer as they typically lay on the right side facing the wind. Since the wind usually comes from the West, this means I want meat from the south side of the animal.
Favorite Quote: "Time Flies Like an Arrow - Fruit Flies Like a Banana"
Groucho Marx
Hopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:17 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by Hopz
...Prefer meat from left side of steer as they typically lay on the right side facing the wind. Since the wind usually comes from the West, this means I want meat from the south side of the animal.
And what does the butcher say when you tell him all this? Does he put his index finger up beside his head and make a little twirling motion?

Also, 20 minutes seems like a really long time to grill a steak. Do you like yours well done?
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:40 AM   #8
Head Chef
Gosh, what a great butcher to cut a steak from the left side of the cow.

Where I shop, although they are very accomodating, I am sure the butcher would yell into the back:

"Ed, gimme a New York Strip from the left side of the steer."

And a New York Strip would appear, probably labelled left.

And then the butcher would go to the back and have a good chuckle with Ed.

Given our druthers we will go for a thick Porterhouse, and can get some fairly decent beef here, but there are no premium butchers near us.

But always try to make them rare, and that to us means a red, not pink, warm center.

Just our preference.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:25 AM   #9
Executive Chef
Porterhouse is great. I love it. Unfortunately, I can't afford it, usually.

For me, "splurging" on steak means going to a local butcher and getting some 1 1/2" thick Sirloin. I honestly prefer Montreal Steak Seasoning, while PeppA likes that McCormick's Broiled Steak Seasoning stuff. Of course, many times, I just use S&P. I like to get my grill good and hot, using lump hardwood charcoal. I prefer steak to be medium, so I can't get my grill to hot. Get some good marks on the steak, and move it off to a cooler part of the grill, and shut the lid and let it finish cooking that way.

I also like to blacken steak, but then, I've mentioned several times that I love to blacken just about anything.

Sometimes I'll saute some onions and/or mushrooms to go with the steak.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:37 AM   #10
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
We get some pretty good beef here in Indiana... and my favorite cut is definitely the rib-eye. Alot of times its not marbled quite as well as I like, and the butchers at the grocery chains don't always trim the fat very well. I think I may start buying sides of meat and butchering them myself and freezing the steaks until I need them, because I hate having to do a ton of extra trimming that the butcher should have done in the first place.

I can't, however, fault the flavor of the meat. When I do find a really well-marbled steak, it's like heaven. All my steaks get only salt, pepper, and garlic powder. That's the perfect seasoning. After that, its all in the cooking. Do it right and you can get the prefect steak.

college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote