Perfect steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpiritWolf

Senior Cook
:chef:Hey Guys, any ideas on how to cook the perfect great steak, I love mine medium to med well done, I know how to do it but any new ideas will be great,
Thanks Spiritwolf in Aussie land.:-p

"I know how to do it but any new ideas will be great," - so, what is your favorite way to do the perfect steak???

Mine is rub a little oil on both sides and slap onto a screaming hot grill - but...cooked rare, then sprinkle with s&P - so mine perfect would certainly not be yours. :rolleyes:

I take mine medium well too. No moo-ing meat for me :) . Unless it's carpacio ofcourse, but that's a different story. Usually I take mine seasoned with p&s and pan fried either in a dash of OO or in lots of foaming margarine. When I'm in the mood for it, and I didn't drink all of it already, I sometimes like to finish it off with a splash of cognac (burnt off ofcourse).
For the type of meat I like entrecote from a good Irish or , better yet, Argentine cow. They're more flavourful and fatty than the usually leaner and more tender but less flavourful Belgian stable raised beef.

Edit: for pepper I usually take 5 pepper mix (black, white, red, green and coriander seeds).

Last edited:
For the money you can't beat a nice Choice Sirloin. I have my butcher cut it 2 inches thick. I like to let it set out 3-4 hrs prior to cooking so it can temper. Next I oil it with some olive oil, give it a nice coating of my blackening seasoning and place it into a cast iron pan that is setting on the coals in my grill. After it gets a crust on each side I put the grate on the grill and finish the steak with indirect heat and let it rest for 10 minutes under a tin foil tent. I like mine rare/med rare but you would need to cook yours a little longer. If your feeling ambitious you can also serve a little beanaise sauce with it.

When grilling for fast cooking I prefer the lump charcoal over briquettes, it seems get hotter.

JDP

For me, the perfect steak is a 1 1/2-inch Porterhouse brought to room temp and seared on a VERY hot grill.... for about 2 1/2 minutes per side. Salt and pepper are all the condiments I want.... :)

In France, I order my beef "Seignant" -- which means BLOOOOODY! :LOL:

I like to rub the meat with vegetable oil (no-not EVOO), and then heavy dose of coarse fresh grind pepper. Let rest at room temperature.

Grill- hot... about 6 minutes side 1, then 90 degree rotate to make "X" marks. (note- the grill marks produce flavor, not just pretty appearance- thanks to Malliard reaction). Go about 5 minutes on side one, position 2.

Reduce heat- go to side 2, position 1. About 5 minutes, then rotate to make the "X"... final position will not take too long- maybe 4 minutes.

Remove from grill. Rest a few minutes. Good to go.

Prefer meat from left side of steer as they typically lay on the right side facing the wind. Since the wind usually comes from the West, this means I want meat from the south side of the animal.

Hopz said:
...Prefer meat from left side of steer as they typically lay on the right side facing the wind. Since the wind usually comes from the West, this means I want meat from the south side of the animal.

And what does the butcher say when you tell him all this? Does he put his index finger up beside his head and make a little twirling motion?

Also, 20 minutes seems like a really long time to grill a steak. Do you like yours well done?

Gosh, what a great butcher to cut a steak from the left side of the cow.

Where I shop, although they are very accomodating, I am sure the butcher would yell into the back:

"Ed, gimme a New York Strip from the left side of the steer."

And a New York Strip would appear, probably labelled left.

And then the butcher would go to the back and have a good chuckle with Ed.

Given our druthers we will go for a thick Porterhouse, and can get some fairly decent beef here, but there are no premium butchers near us.

But always try to make them rare, and that to us means a red, not pink, warm center.

Just our preference.

Porterhouse is great. I love it. Unfortunately, I can't afford it, usually.

For me, "splurging" on steak means going to a local butcher and getting some 1 1/2" thick Sirloin. I honestly prefer Montreal Steak Seasoning, while PeppA likes that McCormick's Broiled Steak Seasoning stuff. Of course, many times, I just use S&P. I like to get my grill good and hot, using lump hardwood charcoal. I prefer steak to be medium, so I can't get my grill to hot. Get some good marks on the steak, and move it off to a cooler part of the grill, and shut the lid and let it finish cooking that way.

I also like to blacken steak, but then, I've mentioned several times that I love to blacken just about anything.

Sometimes I'll saute some onions and/or mushrooms to go with the steak.

We get some pretty good beef here in Indiana... and my favorite cut is definitely the rib-eye. Alot of times its not marbled quite as well as I like, and the butchers at the grocery chains don't always trim the fat very well. I think I may start buying sides of meat and butchering them myself and freezing the steaks until I need them, because I hate having to do a ton of extra trimming that the butcher should have done in the first place.

I can't, however, fault the flavor of the meat. When I do find a really well-marbled steak, it's like heaven. All my steaks get only salt, pepper, and garlic powder. That's the perfect seasoning. After that, its all in the cooking. Do it right and you can get the prefect steak.

SpiritWolf said:
I know how to do it but any new ideas will be great,
Thanks Spiritwolf in Aussie land.:-p

Welcome to DC, SpiritWolf. Try a compound butter of blue cheese or sun-dried tomatoes, or cook the steaks in Bourbon/whiskey. I'm a fan of (carmelized) onions and mushrooms. Pretty much, I like my steak simple, a little worcestershire and garlic powder, and freshly-ground black pepper.

I love my steak medium rare to rare and I just broil it in the oven and every once in a while I cut it with a knife to see if it is rare enough.

Steak, mashed potatoes and a salad are my all time dinner favorites.

Dip in a combination of butter and olive oil, douse generously with salt and cracked black pepper

Rub on side with Dijon mustard and then press firmly into a plate of multi-colored (black, white, red, green) whole peppercorns (cooking the peppercorn side first

Reduce some port (or red wine), add salt, pepper, bleu cheese or gorgonzola

You can do the same as the port suggestion above but saute some shallots and mushrooms in there too while it reduces

Right off the top of my head that 's what I can think of for toppings.

I know a lot of people don't like marinated steaks but every once in awhile I like to marinate in equal parts white wine, teriyaki sauce, and pineapple juice with some fresh chunked garlic and fresh chunked ginger in there too.

I favour filet steak, cooked rare, pepper salt and thats it. We are fortunate to have an excellent butcher nearby. Sirloins are something I like to roast whole.

In case you missed it, I was being facetious...

There was once a lot of discussion over on the KC BBQ board about left-handed versus right-handed briskit- which come from different sides of the steer, and which, by-the-way, are easily identifed...

A little (very little) joke on my part...mea culpa

Yes, 20 minutes seems long on the surface, but we cut very thick steaks and this formula serves as medium rare... in the center.

We like to go to a good butcher and get a cryovac of an entire tenderloin or other cuts- cut it ourselves. Get it the way we like it.

Living here in the Salt Lake Valley, the butchers are not used to large (thick) cuts of beef. Apparently the locals like it thin and cheap... too many kids to feed I guess.

I like to take my steak, hold it in my hand and wave it over the fire for a few seconds....and then eat it.

While that is a bit of an exageration, I prefer my meat rare. If I have a sauce or gravy to accompany the meat I just season with a bit of salt and pepper. If I expect the meat to stand alone, I'll usually give it a highly seasoned rub.

<---as you can tell, I like the bloody parts...

SpiritWolf said:
Hey Guys, any ideas on how to cook the perfect great steak, I love mine medium to med well done, I know how to do it but any new ideas will be great.

Well, what cut, how thick, and are you really sure you want to screw up a good piece of meat cooking it to medium well done?

I cook different cuts in different ways - appropriate to the cut ... some thin cuts get slapped over hot coals ... some are cooked via "indirect" heat ....

Last edited:
SpiritWolf, I'm so glad you started this thread. There are some good ideas here! I hate buying an expensive cut of beef and then having it ruined.

I like porterhouse and filets medium rare, rubbed down with butter, garlic and pepper. Mushrooms cooked down in cognac on the side.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom