"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 07-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #21
Master Chef

btw i have never been to a steakhouse that has cut my steak!! i would never accept it that way!! i am a firm believer of SENDING it back if it isn't to my liking (if i am a regular i ask for a replacment if not and i am not sure if they will MESS with my food i just send it back and have it removed from the bill). growing up poor and having in the past delt with tight times i firmly believe in getting what i pay for!!

Old 07-20-2009, 12:31 PM   #22
Chief Eating Officer

OK Andy, curiosity got the better of me so I called them. I started with their Brooklyn location and they could not answer my question there so she transferred me to their office who could not answer either. I then tried their Great Neck location and got someone who knew about the process although I am not sure he really knew what he was talking about.

I mentioned what you posted here and said that we have always heard you should rest meat after it comes off the heat. His response was "I am not sure what you mean by resting" so that made me wonder about him in the first place. He then told me that when the meat comes out of the broiler it is not cooked. It is just seared. he then said something else that made me wonder about him. He said it was seared so the juices are locked in. Well then he contradicted himself and continued on to say that when they are sliced the juices mix with the butter and the steak is then finished under the broiler while it cooks in its own juice and butter combo.

I find it a very odd way to do it, but then again I have never eaten there so I would certainly be wiling to try it and reserve my opinions until after I ate.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
btw i have never been to a steakhouse that has cut my steak!! i would never accept it that way!! i am a firm believer of SENDING it back if it isn't to my liking (if i am a regular i ask for a replacment if not and i am not sure if they will MESS with my food i just send it back and have it removed from the bill). growing up poor and having in the past delt with tight times i firmly believe in getting what i pay for!!

They pre-cut the porterhouse steaks that are meant for more than one person. They separate the filet and sirloin parts from the bone and then cut each into 1" wide slices.

It would be awkward for two diners to try to do that at the table.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #24
Head Chef

Great detective work GB!
Old 07-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
OK Andy, curiosity got the better of me so I called them. I started with their Brooklyn location and they could not answer my question there so she transferred me to their office who could not answer either. I then tried their Great Neck location and got someone who knew about the process although I am not sure he really knew what he was talking about.

I mentioned what you posted here and said that we have always heard you should rest meat after it comes off the heat. His response was "I am not sure what you mean by resting" so that made me wonder about him in the first place. He then told me that when the meat comes out of the broiler it is not cooked. It is just seared. he then said something else that made me wonder about him. He said it was seared so the juices are locked in. Well then he contradicted himself and continued on to say that when they are sliced the juices mix with the butter and the steak is then finished under the broiler while it cooks in its own juice and butter combo.

I find it a very odd way to do it, but then again I have never eaten there so I would certainly be wiling to try it and reserve my opinions until after I ate.

Thanks for doing that, GB.

It sounds strange to me as well. The juices still end up on the plate rather than in the meat.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:52 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
They pre-cut the porterhouse steaks that are meant for more than one person. They separate the filet and sirloin parts from the bone and then cut each into 1" wide slices.

It would be awkward for two diners to try to do that at the table.
i understand if it is for 2 people but i am the STEAK lover in the family and when we DINE out i am usually the only one who gets a thick whole steak ( ie strip or such)(hub gets tips or sliced open sammies).
Old 07-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #27
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You answer my question and I'll answer yours.
I have no idea, Andy. I have never been there, and I didn't see the show, so I don't have a clue how or why, or any of it. I can't imagine cutting into a Porterhouse steak and then putting it back into the oven.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #28
Master Chef

Old 07-21-2009, 05:37 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Peter Luger background

Old 07-21-2009, 06:34 AM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

At the 3:00 minute point of the video, you can see what I described in the OP. No answer as to why, just the visual.

Tags
None