Porcupine Meatballs Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
This has always been one of my favorite foods, and now it is one of James's favorites. When I was almost 12 I got sick one day (turned out to be appendicitis), and my mom knew I was really sick when she made porcupine meatballs and I couldn't eat! LOL

Porcupine Meatballs

In a bowl, mix together 1 pound ground beef, small onion, chopped (about ½ cup), 1 egg, and 2 big handfuls of uncooked rice (you want plenty, but not so much that the meatballs fall apart). Form into meatballs.

Brown meatballs. When meatballs are evenly browned, add one large can diced tomatoes and 1-2 tablespoons dried parsley (more if fresh). Cover and let simmer on medium/low until cooked through. If you make mashed potatoes to go with this, the amount of time it takes to peel and cook the potatoes and mash them is just enough time to simmer the sauce. If you want more sauce you can add a can of tomato sauce or a small can of diced tomatoes.

Suggestion: Serve meatballs with mashed potatoes (serve the sauce on the potatoes) and green beans.

Note: Rather than make it into meatballs, we sometimes prefer the meat mixture to be browned (breaking it into small chunks as it browns) and included in the sauce.

:)Barbara

I had forgotten about porcupine meatballs Barb. My parents made them when I was younger, and we kids loved them.

Barb,
hated the things as a kid,cuz my grandma always stuffed the mixture into green bells..Now I love them but no green bells, but stiff into red bells or hollow out an eggplamt and stuff that with the meat and rice mixture..Yumm
kadesma, thanks for the reminder;)

Oh I love those, I bake mine too just with a can of tomato soup and half can milk, don't brown though, makes the best gravy over mashed potatoes ! Yum - haven't made them in quite awhile, thanks for sharing.

Barb,
hated the things as a kid,cuz my grandma always stuffed the mixture into green bells..Now I love them but no green bells, but stiff into red bells or hollow out an eggplamt and stuff that with the meat and rice mixture..Yumm
kadesma, thanks for the reminder;)
It would be good for stuffed peppers (or cabbage rolls for that matter). We use Spanish Rice for stuffed peppers (lol--I said we, meaning my mom and me, but she is making "heavenly" stuffed peppers now.:cool:).

Your recipe is similar to one I received from one of my aunts when I was about 16. Our porcupine balls are baked in the oven. Always was one of my favorite dishes.
I have considered trying it this way sometime, with the mashed potatoes on top, like with shepherd's pie.

It would be good for stuffed peppers (or cabbage rolls for that matter). We use Spanish Rice for stuffed peppers (lol--I said we, meaning my mom and me, but she is making "heavenly" stuffed peppers now.:cool:).

I doubt she is alone, my mom is probably helping and my dad giving them both directions:LOL:

kadesma

Back
Top Bottom